Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:38 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I think you are fine with the AT...it modifies the table values as you hit those ranges. But multiple shorter ATs are recommended rather than a single longer run AT.

I rerouted my wire three times for similar issues i.e. freezing, blank screen. I asked Jamie and said the most likely cause is the routing of the wire. I even removed my tank to route that wire. My screen still freezes in gauge mode, but at least it doesn't go blank now. In the PV sticky, some say reinstalling firmware corrected their problem.
Yea, I think I read about doing short runs with AT and doing multiples. I just wanted to do at least 20 mins or so of different riding to give different RPM ranges and loads per the AT session. I'll keep that in mind.

ALSO - I did a recent PV firmware upgrade since it was available on the PV Client software. Do you not think it would have refreshed the whole device? OR is there a way to "RELOAD" the entire software as you stated? I've not looked at the software that closely to see where. I've got all my MAPS saved so I have no issue trying to reload the FW on the PV.

THANKS for your reply!!!

Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 AM
GMRO
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sgthwjack
Regarding the EMI problem with the Power Vision cable, I am experiencing the same problem so I am going to attempt to shield the cable using some mesh I found on eBay. Haven't had a chance to do it yet but I think it should work, just going to solder a drain wire for grounding under the battery cover. If it works I'll post a little how-to. This is the mesh I'll be using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302007789311...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I do not understand why Dynojet doesn't utilize shielded cable when it's obviously a known problem. Another tip that can't hurt, do not coil any excess cable in a round fashion, do it in a figure 8, it will break up any possible field generation by the cable itself. Something I learned working with electronic motor control and monitoring systems.
I'd hope in the future that DJ would offer a shielded cable.

In another hobby where we run electronic speed controllers, ESC, we would buy ferrite rings and loop the signal wire from the ESC around the ring a few times before plugging it into the receiver to have it eliminate the EMF or any other outside static from shocking the ESC and shutting it down.

I may look on line on McMaster Carr to see if they have a larger ferrite ring that I can loop the wire thru to see if that helps. Has to be large enough to allow at least 1 of the ends of this wire to pass thru. They did have "capsule" type ferrite rings too that let you wrap it over the wire and then it snaps into place on the wire/cord. That maybe the other option with the same purpose for eliminating EMF.

Your test, I'll be watching...

THANKS!!!

Last edited by GMRO; 07-26-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRO
Yea, I think I read about doing short runs with AT and doing multiples. I just wanted to do at least 20 mins or so of different riding to give different RPM ranges and loads per the AT session. I'll keep that in mind.

ALSO - I did a recent PV firmware upgrade since it was available on the PV Client software. Do you not think it would have refreshed the whole device? OR is there a way to "RELOAD" the entire software as you stated? I've not looked at the software that closely to see where. I've got all my MAPS saved so I have no issue trying to reload the FW on the PV.

THANKS for your reply!!!
EMAIL RESPONSE FROM JAMIE AT FUELMOTO
"Hello, screen freeze is not generally related to firmware however it is always a good idea to have a current version. In nearly every example we have found that it is related to RF interference due to the cable running near a coil, spark plug wire, or ignition source. Re-routing the cable will take care of this in most situatons."

Since I rerouted three time, shielding the cable may be the route to take. I too will be watching the results of that potential fix.

The following users liked this post:
GMRO (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by sgthwjack
Regarding the EMI problem with the Power Vision cable, I am experiencing the same problem so I am going to attempt to shield the cable using some mesh I found on eBay. Haven't had a chance to do it yet but I think it should work, just going to solder a drain wire for grounding under the battery cover. If it works I'll post a little how-to. This is the mesh I'll be using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302007789311...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I do not understand why Dynojet doesn't utilize shielded cable when it's obviously a known problem. Another tip that can't hurt, do not coil any excess cable in a round fashion, do it in a figure 8, it will break up any possible field generation by the cable itself. Something I learned working with electronic motor control and monitoring systems.
Thanks for sharing...let us know if the mesh shield eliminates the interference. A how-to thread on this common problem would be great.

The following 2 users liked this post by hscic:
GMRO (07-26-2016), sgthwjack (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:49 AM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Thanks for sharing...let us know if the mesh shield eliminates the interference. A how-to thread on this common problem would be great.
Will do, that's what we're all about here IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by sgthwjack:
GMRO (07-26-2016), hscic (07-26-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:36 AM
PixelFobia
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Exhaust

Installed a Two Brothers Comp-S exhaust on my 05' 883 sportster. Massive improvement on performance and this sucker sounds mean!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-20160723_185755.jpg  
Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 AM
GMRO
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PixelFobia
Installed a Two Brothers Comp-S exhaust on my 05' 883 sportster. Massive improvement on performance and this sucker sounds mean!
Great choice. Looks terrific on the bike...fits the look for sure. If they sound like they look you scored!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 AM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Old 07-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

Installed a Flosser horn. Nice unit, made in Germany.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 07-27-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:33 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Brought it to a shop to install the Metzler ME880 Ultra tires. didnt get to burn off the rear one - oh well.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?