Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switch problems need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default switch problems need help please.

Im gonna re ask question as not much help last time and got some more to add.
Basically my sportster iron will power up( headlight, speedo, ign lights, fuel pump etc) and start in the ACC position and the IGN position and as you know it should only power side lights in ACC.
Just been checking switches and found when it all powered up in ACC and I flick the high beam headlight switch on all power cuts out and just side lights on as normal, then turn high beam off and it all re powers?? However in the IGN position the high/low headlight switch works correctly.
Now I have recently had mini apes put on bike so had switch cables lengthened, I asked the indy if something he would have done/caused and he said definitely not. Now trouble is if I go back to dealer as have 4 months warranty remaining and they said its his wiring then I will be left with labour charge but with indy saying defo not him and I said will take to dealer I dont know what to do????
Does anyone think it could be ape wiring or something else??? Please help

Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM
raq1025
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From your description, I'd definitely say it's the indy. If the bike didn't do it before he touched the wiring & does it after, he should be responsible for it. It sounds like he accidentally swapped a couple of wires in the harness. They would all have to be buzzed out to be checked.
From recently replacing the ignition switch on my '05 I know the IGN and ACC wires are VERY similar. On my bike, both are red with one having a grey stripe, the other a black. I was very careful not to confuse the two.
If it's a stand up shop, they should take care of you. If they're not a stand up shop, this may be a good place to alert people of their business practices (provided forum rules allow.)

Good Luck
Rich Q.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

It sounds pretty obvious that the wiring job is involved. Good luck, maybe show the indy how the headlight switch affects the bike. Maybe take your owners manual and show him how (and what) it's supposed to operate on IGN and ACC.

John

Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

As I said in your other thread, the indy likely screwed up the wiring, since it worked correctly before he wired the new bars. Take it back to the indy and make him fix what he screwed up.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:58 PM
harleyglen
Tourer

I spoke to indy again and showed him, he still says nothing hes done and ok about taking It to HD to get them to look at under warranty. He's a nice bloke so sort of feel stuck in a stalemate now?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by harleyglen
I spoke to indy again and showed him, he still says nothing hes done and ok about taking It to HD to get them to look at under warranty. He's a nice bloke so sort of feel stuck in a stalemate now?
I think we've all been there. I guess it's the risk you take with certain mods like wiring.

Might as well have the dealer take a look and at least get the problem solved. I'm sure the indy probably gave it his best shot, and maybe it is something else.

Good luck. Let us know what the dealer techs say.

John

Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Ployd4
Road Master

The dealer isn't going to cover it under warranty. Not if you modified the wiring.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Well, if the dealer fixes it up, perhaps the wire extension will then become covered in case a future issue pops up. Something to think about if your bike is still under warranty. Let's just hope it's a simple wire mix up or obvious short.

John

Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 AM
harleyglen
Tourer

Well folks, I was sat here thinking about it and thought sod it I will check the wires myself. I raised tank a bit and disconnected the multi plug and stripped insulation tape off, checked all the wires which were correct and solder joints seem ok so re insulated each one neatly the reconnected plug.........and bingo it all works as it should!
I can only think their was maybe a short or maybe bit of crap in multi plug?
Anyway I insulated it fully and refitted everything neatly and its still good
Suppose I wont really know what it was but just glad its ok.
Thanks for all your help and comments.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

There you go! Congratulations, let's hope it was just a bad connection.

John

Quick Reply: switch problems need help please.