Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping with PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decel popping with PCV?

I have a 2012 iron 883 with 2.5" khrome werks slip ons and screamin eagle stage one air filter(ham can type) and I used to have xieds, a few months ago I installed a PCV with pre loaded map from fuelmoto. I do get quite a bit of decal popping when letting off the throttle, is this normal for a stage one setup? I do hear other Harleys popping?
I don't really want to start playing with map as not really great with computers and don't want to pay for a dyno tune if popping is normal.
I have sent a message to fuelmoto so I will see what they say but thought I would ask on here too, apart from popping bike runs ok.
Cheers

Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 AM
bighosschato
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what this!!!! It will help you out.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 AM
bighosschato
Intermediate

Watch*** oops

Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

When you installed the pipes, did you run a bead of HT silicone (i.e. liquid copper) on the pipe-to-header joints? Also, did you check the header/flange bolts to ensure they're torq'd to spec. Guessing you could have an exhaust leak, tuner's too rich/lean, or there a leak at the intake (either/or). If you can't work it out...might have to have dealer take a looksee...

Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
harleyglen
Tourer

Cheers for help guys, j have had the slip ons on/off a couple of times but have put exhaust paste around fittings, I will check manifold but if nothings blowing then I will have a go at adjusting values as per youtube vid.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to ask the gurus. If the bike was not popping with the XIED's and a fuel controller was just added in place of them, why would you think all the other things was wrong and not just needing a different map?

I ask because all I had was a dealer download and I just put a controller on and now it takes longer to fire and I have decel popping. It fired super quick before, almost spooky quick and never had any popping.

So why would I have to think it's something other than a map. I just haven't called Fuel Moto because I have bad hearing a phone conversations are very tough. I do much better where I can type.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

I too have some decel pop with a 2013 Heritage. It started at 75 miles after installing Vance and Hines straight shot slip ons. I added FL-Vied's set to 80%, helped, but some pop still there. I'm thinking in my case that my pipes are very low restriction and may be a characteristic of this type of pipe.
Keep us posted on your progress. I'd sure like to see if you solve your problem.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleyglen
I have a 2012 iron 883 with 2.5" khrome werks slip ons and screamin eagle stage one air filter(ham can type) and I used to have xieds, a few months ago I installed a PCV with pre loaded map from fuelmoto. I do get quite a bit of decal popping when letting off the throttle, is this normal for a stage one setup? I do hear other Harleys popping?
I don't really want to start playing with map as not really great with computers and don't want to pay for a dyno tune if popping is normal.
I have sent a message to fuelmoto so I will see what they say but thought I would ask on here too, apart from popping bike runs ok.
Cheers
My ride does the same thing after I put a PCV on it. In fact I was foreward that I'd get some decel popping. I've noticed that it varies from different brands of fuel. Even from the the same brand but at different stations.
It's a minor issue considering how much better the bike preforms and how much cooler the engine runs. All this has got to contribute to a longer lasting engine.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 AM
mato
6th Gear

it is running to lean
popping on decel is a sign of not enough fuel
spend 200-300 and have some who knows what they are doing dyno tune the engine
the preloaded maps are ok to get you running but you need to get a proper tune done
Cheers Mat

Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
harleyglen
Tourer

Fuelmoto have sent me another tweeked map, great customer service but gotta figure out how to load it now

Quick Reply: Decel popping with PCV?