Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about sporty being out in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about sporty being out in the cold

Hi guys,until recently I have been keeping my 883 in a heated garage at my place of employment,now it's outside behind my apt.I have it on a tender,my question is,should I start it up at all?and do I take it off tender when doing so,i usually ride it every few days,but it snowed here and don't think I will be riding for awhile anyway,thanks,will it harm it if I start and let it run for a few minutes

Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm sure someone with more knowledge/experience will chime in, but it's my understanding that you should not start the bike unless you plan to ride it for at least 20-30 minutes to make sure it gets full up to operating temperature. If you don't run it up to temp, you won't evaporate all the moisture accumulated from sitting in the cold out of the oil.

Mine's been sitting on a tender in my unheated garage since the middle of November...

Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
I'm sure someone with more knowledge/experience will chime in, but it's my understanding that you should not start the bike unless you plan to ride it for at least 20-30 minutes to make sure it gets full up to operating temperature. If you don't run it up to temp, you won't evaporate all the moisture accumulated from sitting in the cold out of the oil.

Mine's been sitting on a tender in my unheated garage since the middle of November...
yes,i think I heard the same thing,but now that it's really out in the cold,i want to make sure to do what's right,it sucks having my pride and joy out in the cold now,but what can I do

Old 01-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Don`t start it unless you are going to ride it. And don`t worry about the cold, it can`t feel a thing...

Old 01-29-2014, 05:06 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Always unplug the tender BEFORE starting the bike. As stated, if you're not going to run it up to normal temps for a while just let it sit. Put some Stabil (or similar) in the gas and top it off. This will prevent condensation and keep the gas from going bad. Keep the tender on it until you're ready to resume riding. If opportunity presents itself, check the tires for pressure, unplug the tender and go for a ride. The bike doesn't feel the cold (it's cold blooded).

Old 01-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

My garage is unheated. My bike is on a jack, uncovered, battery tender with a full fuel tank with Seafoam as a stabilizer and its been VERY COLD this winter. Once temps get around freezing with day time high's over 50 I will drop it down, fire it up and ride it. If it was outside covered with a bike cover on a tender you'd be perfectly fine. Like the poster above me stated.. It can't feel a thing.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Always unplug the tender BEFORE starting the bike. As stated, if you're not going to run it up to normal temps for a while just let it sit. Put some Stabil (or similar) in the gas and top it off. This will prevent condensation and keep the gas from going bad. Keep the tender on it until you're ready to resume riding. If opportunity presents itself, check the tires for pressure, unplug the tender and go for a ride. The bike doesn't feel the cold (it's cold blooded).
+1. Just make sure your run the stabil through the carb/injectors

Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Mercyfulfate
Road Captain

in back of your apt? I would be also concerned with that.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercyfulfate
No ****. I'd be more concerned about securing it solidly, and buy yourself a real good motorcycle cover. If the goons can't see what's in there and it's visibly (to them) secured to something immovable, that should help. Maybe.

I would not ride it unless I could put 20 to 30 miles on, an outside (or inside) bike needs to get fully heated to eliminate moisture in the oil. Just watch someone's car tailpipe for the first few minutes, it pours from the exhaust, and that's just combustion moisture, not oil.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 01-29-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Jlovesseconds
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mercyfulfate
Well the back of my building faces the woods also have a inch thk cable lock to the railing on my porch and my porch is about 6ft away from my bedroom window,still worry a little though,have it covered well to,thanks for the concern though also have my 410 shotgun right in my closet to,plus some good neighbors