Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Biketom02
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider Questions

Hey all, a quick introduction of myself; I'm 20 years old, active duty military and lately have really been wanting to get into riding on two wheels instead of 4.

I'm signed up to take the Basic Riders Course via my military installation within the next few weeks and I'm looking to get my own bike soon.

After doing some research I've decided that I want something in the sportster family as it will be easy to learn on. The specific bike I had my eye on was the Forty-Eight. I just love the look and style of it.

Would that be a good bike to learn on? Also, I know I've read all the advice about not buying a new bike from the get go but I really have my heart set on it and I know I'd be moving to it after a few months anyways. I don't want to have to lose the money buying a cheaper bike in the meantime and then having to resell it.

Any answers, opinions, advice on anything I've mentioned or haven't mentioned are much appreciated. I'm really excited to be part of the biking community.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Zack Bradley
Cruiser

You will love it!!! If you are get bored of it, you can always tweak it how you want!!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:09 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

If you can afford a new 48, go for it.
It should be a fine bike for you

Good luck and ride safe!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Biketom02
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

If you can afford a new 48, go for it.
It should be a fine bike for you

Good luck and ride safe!
Unfortunately I can afford a new 48 with addons for cash lol.

I forgot to add this to my original post. What things are worth adding to it when I go to build it on the HD website? ABS brakes? etc...

Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 48 is a great bike and I don't think it matters if you are a new rider or not. I have been riding for years and when I test rode one at Sturgis a couple of years ago I had the biggest grin on my face when I got off. Definitely a fun bike.

As far as add-ons go, it all depends on your comfort level. If you are a bigger fella then you might want to upgrade the shocks, seat, and put on forward controls. I wouldn't be too concerned with motor mods until you get used to the bike (should take you about 500 miles).

Keep an eye out for a used one and take the difference in the price of new to buy some pipes and other do-dads.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum and on with your question. The 48 is an awesome bike, there's so many upgrades you can do to make it your own. I was blown away when I test rode mine at how it performed and handled. You wont be disappointed...

Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sorry, but I's still an advocate of learning on a "starter" bike vs. "dream" bike...get yourself a on/off road bike, or inexpensive street bike for starters. You can easily trade, or sell to get your future HD.

You don't want to be this guy riding off from the dealer:

Old 02-23-2014, 10:02 PM
mopeman-72HD
Tourer

Yup, I went the dual sport route, and I just put a deposit down on a 48 tonight!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Zack Bradley
Cruiser

Get a used one, its cheaper than new, and if you do happen to lay it down, at least it is not new!! I bought my '08 used and it was my first motorcycle I have EVER driven. Have someone ride it home for you, than practice around your block. Go up and down streets, stopping at stop signs and all. Will get you used to your throttle response, braking, and MOST important your clutching. Before you go on any main rodes, be SURE that you have your stop and go down. Nothing worse than stalling out at a light. After riding it a few times, it becomes muscle memory, as the drill sergeants taught us!! You will learn how far to release the clutch and how much gas to give it for a seamless take off. Hope it all works out for ya!!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
MrGood
Cruiser

If you want it and can afford it buy it. I bought my iron as my first bike and am glad I did. I also bought it new because I didn't want a "adult owned, only rode a few times, never raced, maintenanced every 45 miles, basically brand new, cleanest one in the world" bike like every damn used bike on craigslist, and I don't trust the cretan dealers around here any more. IMO it's stupid to buy a motorcycle you plan on getting rid of in a couple months unless you can get it at a steal and then get back everything you have in it.

Last edited by MrGood; 02-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: New Rider Questions