Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI remap or fuel-pak/other fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Jerobi1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI remap or fuel-pak/other fuel system

Ok, so I've got my first harley and don't want to f*ck it up. Brand new 2013 seventy two. Bought with 4 miles on it, now with 850. My vance & hines slip-on hs straight shots came in the other day and I put them on myself with ease, they sound bitchin! My S&S stealth A/C kit came in today and I feel the bike will breath a lot easier once I put it on. My question is do I really need a remap or a new fuel-pak? I've looked this up a bit and can guess the AFR is going to run lean with out some kind of fuel adjustment but which is really the best way to go?

Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

What did your instructions from your exhaust & A/C say? I don't know much about your model bike, but I know the other bikes need a re-map when you do both.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM
201348hd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit expensive but I highly recommend powervision from fuel moto. We'll worth the money.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You will get a wide range of answers to this question and I haven't seen a satisfactory thread yet. There is a Sticky in the Tech FI section on why EFI vehicles need to be tuned, so read that! A lot of Harley owners think we can still use backyard tuning to modify our bikes, but there are better ways available now. Your options include a dealer remap, an add-on such as an XiED, or a 'proper' tuner.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Below is a link to a thread that is an overview of all the different options that you have. Lots of people have found it very useful...

CLICK ME

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom Products; 03-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Jerobi1
1st Gear

Thanks for your responses. That thread, DK, gave me a lot of valuable insight. Thinking I'm going with the power vision to get the best possible tune out of my machine, but I'm gonna have to wait till the funds are there since its a little pricier than the rest. Now if I throw on the A/C is it going to hurt or help in the mean time? Or should I just wait until I can put on both the tuner and the A/C?

Old 03-06-2014, 06:44 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerobi1
Thanks for your responses. That thread, DK, gave me a lot of valuable insight. Thinking I'm going with the power vision to get the best possible tune out of my machine, but I'm gonna have to wait till the funds are there since its a little pricier than the rest. Now if I throw on the A/C is it going to hurt or help in the mean time? Or should I just wait until I can put on both the tuner and the A/C?
Best to wait. The A/C will increase airflow and lean things out. You're OK with just pipes, but with the addition of the A/C you should have a fuel controller to compensate.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Agree, best to wait and put the A/C on the same time you get the Power Vision.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Jerobi1
1st Gear

So I went with the XIED as a temporary solution to throw on the AC cuz money is a little tight right now. It says its pretty much plug and play, but will a dealer remap help improve performance? Everything is running fine after the add on of the XIED and the AC, probably even a little better, but I'm just curious if there is more I can do.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So I went with the XIED as a temporary solution to throw on the AC cuz money is a little tight right now. It says its pretty much plug and play, but will a dealer remap help improve performance? Everything is running fine after the add on of the XIED and the AC, probably even a little better, but I'm just curious if there is more I can do.
DO NOT DO A DEALER STAGE 1 DOWNLOAD!!!

Due to the EPA regulations, the dealer can only make changes outside of the closed loop portion of your MAP (open loop). Also, all they can do is return the closed loop portion back to the EPA standard which is way too lean from the factory. Due to the EPA.

You made the right choice by getting the XIED for right now (some might say that's all you need). Save your hard earned cash and apply it towards the Power Vision.

Do as much reading as you can about the open loop vs closed loop situation. Once you have a good understanding on how the EFI actually works, then you know not to do the "dealer download."

It's not that the dealership wants to make your bike lean as all hell, it's that their hands are tied by the EPA.

Open loop, closed loop, and delphi efi. learn all that you can. This forum is filled with great info on it. And after reading if you don't understand, just ask.

Remember, the most important thing to add to your bike is MORE MILES!

Allen

Last edited by Allen Riggs; 03-26-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: EFI remap or fuel-pak/other fuel system