Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 sportster 883 dreaded click starter not working please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 AM
vasol
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 sportster 883 dreaded click starter not working please help!

My starter wont spin, the relay clicks and i can feel the starter solenoid clicking but just wont engage. I've read a few threads on this common issue but I have some specific questions. These are the things I've done so far and still hasnt fixed it:

-New relay. from my research, adding a second relay or a push button is not an option for my 1988?

-New battery, although i got the wrong kind and had to extend the battery terminals. I used some 4 gauge battery terminal wiring to extend the existing wiring. (oem is slightly larger at 2 gauge...would the thinner terminal wires make a difference?)

-Tried banging starter solenoid with a mallet

-Checked grounds. Is the only frame ground located right behind the regulator in the front of the bike, if not where are the other connections i should check for? I also checked the ground coming out of the starter solenoid.

What would be the next step...new starter solenoid? How come i can only find replacement starter solenoids on ebay for around 30-40 and nowhere else?

I also have a faulty charging system if that makes a difference, i think its the voltage regulator...i have a new one coming in a few days. Any tips on this installation? I'm aware of the string method but i tried tracing the regulator back...and the wiring just gets lost in the engine and i dont know where it connects!

Any help is appreciated, this is my first harley and did not expect so many things to go wrong with the bike!! I just want to ride =(

I will post some pics of my bike tomorrow if that would help in troubleshooting

Old 03-13-2014, 08:58 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

If your new battery is smaller than what’s required, it may have deficient cranking amps. And have you confirmed a tight negative ground connection … this can be tough to get to but a must !!

Where in the NOVA area are you?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Stop replacing stuff! Your 'new' battery won't give max output until it is fully charged, which despite what may be claimed for it, is isn't when new. Remove it from your bike and charge it fully on a battery charger (not a tender), before refitting it.

The dreaded click is usually down to low battery, so until your new one is fully charged you can't diagnose that problem any further. As for your charging system, there are a couple of Stickys in the DIY Electrics section that will guide you to identify if you have a problem. Let us know what you find.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 PM
vasol
Intermediate

The new battery is fully charged, and its the same size. Its just that the negative and positive terminals are backwards on the new battery, so i had to extend the terminal wires to make it reach. I will try again with 2gauge wiring. Also my regulator came in today so i will try my hand at that as well.

Run1fsr - im located in springfield, are you from the nova area as well?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

check the starter bolts to the motor, they act as a ground for the starter and if they are loose it can cause an issue, but not likely...if you take the starter out and remove the solenoid there is a big pair of contacts inside the end of it, they prolly need to be cleaned/sanded/filed...sometimes they get burned up looking and don't make a connection..its not a tough job at all to do..just be careful not to take the starter itself apart, if you do it can be a pain to get the brushes back in place but it is doable..I believe you can buy just the contacts from jpcycles etc., so you might want to just replace them as it seems once they get burned they don't last very long even if you sand them real good...

Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vasol
Run1fsr - im located in springfield, are you from the nova area as well?
Yes. I'm not far away from you. Let me know if you can't get it going.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM
scrookie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try banging the battery with the mallet. J/k... Mine wouldn't start and had the clicking, and I just had to recharge the battery overnight.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Just occurred to me I’ve had a similar issue with my Buell, and I suspect a flat spot on the clutch ring gear of that bike.

So before pulling your starter, try bump starting the bike or rotate the rear wheel with it in gear to get beyond the possible flat spot.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 AM
vasol
Intermediate

Thannks for all the responses!

I did bump start the bike a few weeks ago and rode it around the neighborhood for a bit. I may have tried the starter while the bike was on and i think it worked...does this say anything about my problem?

also where is the ground on the bike frame?

at this point im 80% sure its something with the solenoid, I've read you can take it apart and rebuild it while its on the bike, without taking off the starter..is this true?

also found another way to troubleshoot from this thread:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=578061

Originally Posted by Fe Head View Post
I would use a set of jumper cables to start by-passing some of the other heavier cables.

The BATT ground cable to the frame can be loose or corroded.

Place one end of the jumper on the BATT +ve terminal and with the relay clicked ON hold the other end on the large terminal of the starter's solenoid. If this works then the BATT +ve cable is freyed or broken.

Next place the live jumper to the small terminal onthe starter's solenoid if this starts the engine then the wire from the relay to here is not conducting properly. If it doesn't it could be a faulty soilenoid or stuck plunger mechanism inside.

Finally place the live jumper on the starter terminal either at the solenoid or the starter itself and see if the statrter spins freely and very fast.

The answers to these test will help narrow or resolve the failure to engage the statrter.

Please let us know how you make out with the work arounds.

Cheers;

^^^ any thoughts on the above method?

Last edited by vasol; 03-14-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 1988 sportster 883 dreaded click starter not working please help!