Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Forty-Eight and LED Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Baskura
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Forty-Eight and LED Mirrors

Greetings all,

I have had a 2014 48 since the tail end of last year and really like how the LED mirrors look - but notice they're listed as not fitting the XL1200X (a.k.a. the 48).

I know I'm probably going to get flamed since they appear on SOA, but I love how they look and anything that makes me more visible means less chance of me being taken out.

I have Google'd extensively and searched this forum but not have been able to find any answers, though I've seen them fitted to other sportster models.

Are they listed as not fitting/compatible because the 48 has under-slung mirrors stock? I know you can flip the regular mirrors back upright if you want to.

Has anyone fitted them to a 48 or have any idea if they will fit and work?

Thank you!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Blackhawk48
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I've seen you can put them on because they just swap over the bars and to the other side. I've had the same pair of mirrors on my bike since I bought it. I had drag bars on so I put them on top, then when I bought my biltwell keystone bars they went back to being underneath because I could see better that way. Only reason they have to be on top is cuz the wiring runs through the bottom if I'm correct.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Baskura
Stage IV

Had a good look at the mirrors on my bike tonight ...

Along with this video to see how they work/wire up.

I can't see why they wouldn't work unless the 48 has some crazy wiring or something?

I even found this manual of sorts, but it doesn't mean much to me!
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05185.pdf

Last edited by Baskura; 03-17-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll be fine, no crazy wiring. You'll just have to wire em into your existing running/signal lights. Are you gonna sell your stock mirrors?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been thinking about replacing my stock turn signals with these as well. My mirrors are flipped underneath. Think it clean up the bars real good to have just the mirrors.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 AM
Baskura
Stage IV

I am going to contact the dealership over the next few days to see what they say before I order them. I'll probably keep my stock mirrors short term - I like the LED mirrors, but also like the factory look so will keep them in case I want to revert.

I can't decide if to leave the stock turn signal lights or to ditch them completely and just use the LED indicators on the mirrors for signalling though.

Thanks for all the advice all.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 PM
okiesho
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Baskura
I am going to contact the dealership over the next few days to see what they say before I order them. I'll probably keep my stock mirrors short term - I like the LED mirrors, but also like the factory look so will keep them in case I want to revert.

I can't decide if to leave the stock turn signal lights or to ditch them completely and just use the LED indicators on the mirrors for signalling though.

Thanks for all the advice all.
If you change them out be sure to post pics and possibly a step-by-step of how you installed them. I thought about ditching my regular turn signals for these on my '14 Iron.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Afrobaron
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I can see for the Forty Eight to be weird is that the end of the LED mirror stem has the wires coming out of it. If you mount them on the underside you will have the wires coming out the top of the controls.
I bet some of our innovative folks around here can find a way to drop the wires out farther up the stem and maybe into the control housing.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Baskura
Stage IV

Just an update for anyone that's interested;

Spoke to HD today and the parts guys are confident that they will go on without too much bother (upright mounted).

I wanted a quarter fairing to go with it, but apparently that doesn't fit the Forty Eight either! Time to do some digging!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM
HDavidsonRides48
Stage II

I bought the mirrors with my bike, haven't installed though. Parts department said they should fit, only thing they were worried about is tank clearance due to the under mounted mirrors. I am going to install when I get a set of apes and I will post pictures.

Quick Reply: HD Forty-Eight and LED Mirrors