Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Sportster cough off Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:44 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try a rain sock, that may take just enough air away to get it right. But my 06 sporty never liked the cold. It would run strong but it had a lot of your symptoms.
It loved the heat, the hotter the better. 100 degree days it ran like a top.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:44 PM
rhythm1978
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I am going through exact the same thing you are going through on my 06. I am at 2 3/4 turns out. But I am still on the stock jet sizes. I get coughs at small throttle blips. Turned the adjuster screw out and they are a lot less. Now I just get them at small RPM's.

Like you, with the weather warmer, it seems to be a lot better. Maybe mine is cold-blooded as well. I have just chalked it up to my bike needing a little "tinkering" now and again. I has a Triumph TR-6 that was the same way!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooti
You could try a rain sock, that may take just enough air away to get it right. But my 06 sporty never liked the cold. It would run strong but it had a lot of your symptoms.
It loved the heat, the hotter the better. 100 degree days it ran like a top.

That's not a bad idea! It's supposed to be 45 tomorrow, we'll see how she likes it then!

Originally Posted by rhythm1978
I am going through exact the same thing you are going through on my 06. I am at 2 3/4 turns out. But I am still on the stock jet sizes. I get coughs at small throttle blips. Turned the adjuster screw out and they are a lot less. Now I just get them at small RPM's.

Like you, with the weather warmer, it seems to be a lot better. Maybe mine is cold-blooded as well. I have just chalked it up to my bike needing a little "tinkering" now and again. I has a Triumph TR-6 that was the same way!
One of the service techs at my dealer told me to put the 42 back in my carb. Glad I didn't, I'd be way too lean at that point being that I'm about 3 turns out on my mix screw.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I use to have to adjust mine to the season. I have to tell you, I'm loving fuel injection. (Once you get past the added expense of getting it tuned) It stays the same all year long

Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser

I use to have to adjust mine to the season. I have to tell you, I'm loving fuel injection. (Once you get past the added expense of getting it tuned) It stays the same all year long

I have a FI jap cruiser, but I couldn't bring myself to buy an EFI sporty. They don't sound good at all. I'll deal with the carb tuning so I can have my potato potato potato!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

just add cams

Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser

Took her out again today. Still a couple farts but barely noticeable. Still waiting for warmer weather to see if maybe I can bring in the mixture screw slightly. She's having a bit of trouble right at warm up but from what I've read most or all carb sporties are very cold blooded. She pulls like crazy though!!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Just ride it...it's doing what its suppose to do

Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser

Just ride it...it's doing what its suppose to do

Perfect. This is kinda what I was thinking. So I guess to summarize, my coughing issues were caused by a lean condition which I was able to fix my adjusting my mixture, with a slight chance it has to do with cold weather.

This is my first harley, So I wasn't really sure what to expect. I can say this bike is a helluva lot of fun to ride!

Old 03-22-2014, 12:00 AM
jjtroutbum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me want to hold off on a stage one. I get a little cough on starts but very rarely once its runnin. Who am I kidding once I have the parts for the right price. Taxes will get paid.

Quick Reply: 06 Sportster cough off Idle