Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ongoin unsolved issue with exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Squig21
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoin unsolved issue with exhaust

Hey all, just wanted to post this here to hopefully spark a fire under someones butt to get this taken care of like they said it would. This is not going to be a bashing the company post by any means, but I need to try something else to get this fixed.

I purchased the black Shorty Sporty exhaust for my nightster in May of 2013. Great looking product. It came packaged great with full instructions on how to install. Installed with out a problem and absolutely love the look and sound of this exhaust. Totally transformed my bike!

Well towards the end of the riding season of 2013 I noticed some small "rusty bumps" for lack of better term. Along one of the black powder coated pipes these small bumps started showing up that had a slight rust color to them and around them. I sent an email out to Rush in the middle of August explaining the issue including pictures of said pipe. I recieved an email back very promptly explaining that they had some issues with the powder coating company they were using. By looking at my pictures they said it is definitely a warranty issue and there will be no problem replacing the shields. What would need to happen is I would pull off my pipes and send them out. Once Rush receives them, they would send out my replacements. They informed me that that were still in the process of finding a new company to do the powder coating on their black line. They estimated a 2 to 4 week turn around, but that was just a guess. i politely asked if I could wait until the riding season was done so I didnt have any down time with the bike. They said there was absolutely no problem with that. That all took place from 8/21/13 to 8/30/13.

On 9/10/13 i got an email stating that all paperwork has been filed and they are just waiting on the good product to arrive. Fast forward now to 1/17/14. I still hadnt heard from them and emailed asking an update on the situation. I was then told that they are still behind on getting sell able merchandise in house. I said I found that a little crazy but, ok keep me posted. Fast forward again to 3/3/14. I sent another email with a little more frustration asking what is going on. I received an email from the same person I have been dealing with the entire time. The email contained a message to the warranty department asking them to update me on the situation. I did not receive and follow up email from the warranty department.

I emailed again on 3/20/14 stating that im getting very frustrated and have not heard anything back from the last email. I got an email back the same day with a message that was apparently sent to a group of people within the company of Rush. This is what the email contained: Hello everyone,
We have a customer who has been patiently waiting since August for a pair of replacement heat shields due to bad black coating for his Sportster, part number 5140STHST and HSB. I have not been successful in locking down a timeframe when he can expect to resolve this issue. Paperwork has been filled out. Sam has copies.
He is included in this email. Can someone please assist?

I am still waiting for any response to that. The emails back and fourth have been very pleasant and I have no issue with the person ive been dealing with through emails. I just dont understand how a company still has not nailed down a quality powder coater for their product. Are they not selling any exhausts that are powder coated black? That seems like a lot of money lost. Or are they still selling black exhausts with the problem powder coating?

My point for this was nothing more than reaching out to a broader audience to maybe get a fire lit under someones butt to get this done. I paid good money for this product and I love it. I really feel like a 7 month wait just to get replacement heat shields is a little ridiculous.

I just want what I paid for and what I was told would be replaced without issue. Im sure a lot of people might not even notice it unless they look for it. But the point is, I noticed it and I know we all are pretty meticulous with our bikes. Riding season is coming quick and I would like to have my bike looking its best.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

When I got my v&h system both shields had some scratches on them so I emailed pics and called afterward as instructed. They sent new ones out right away and didn't even want the old shields. I said they weren't that bad and they said keep them for spares or whatever I wanted. Point some companies are awesome to work with and some are not. Go buy some Vance and Hines and never look back at another Rush product.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Squig21
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have received a response in the Rush vendor thread and through personal email. There was obliviously a communication breakdown and we are now chatting back and fourth to rectify the situation.

Stuff happens sometimes and I would still buy product from them again. Like was aid in my previous post, I had to try something to get some attention. Dont let this sway your decision to buy their product in the future.