Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone is trying to scam me on my bikes title!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:00 PM
cecil1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone is trying to scam me on my bikes title!

Check this out. I bought the nightster. I have an 05 Honda CBR 600 F4i I am selling. I live in Pa. I received a call from someone in Md. offering what I am asking for the bike. He wants to come tomorrow. I said we can't transfer the title on a Sunday. (I hold the title.) He says no problem, all we need is a bill of sale stating the transaction. He pays me my money, I keep my plate, he takes the bike and the title. He says that being that he is from Md., there does not need to be a title transfer. Are you kiddin me and have you ever heard anything so absurd. This deal won't go down like this.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Someone is trying to scam me on my bikes title!

Here, we have 6 days to change title. All we need is a bill of sale anda signed portion of the sellers registration signing off on it.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
1stTimeHD
Intermediate

I dont understand how he is trying to scam u if he is giving u the cash, in mass all u need is a bill of sale and the new owner takes care of the titling as long as old owner signs it over.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
cecil1
Cruiser

Remember, he wants to do this tomorrow, which is Sunday. I have never heard of not having to go to a notary to complete the transaction. Would you be cool collecting the six grand, keeping the plate , giving him the title and your bike?

Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember, he wants to do this tomorrow, which is Sunday. I have never heard of not having to go to a notary to complete the transaction. Would you be cool collecting the six grand, keeping the plate , giving him the title and your bike?
As long as he pays cash I would be ok with it. I would be weary of checks, money orders, and other payment.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Date the transaction Sat, or Mon. Whats he problem. If he pays cash, he gets title and bike. You can turn in or trnsfer plate to nightster. If he has a check and you want to do it during banking hours that's different. In MA all I need is a signed title and I can apply for a new one (in ny name) and register the bike. The DMV is more concerned that sales tax matches bike value.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Not all states require a notorized title or bill of sale. As stated previously, if you have the cash in hand you can't loose! I really don't understand what part of this you feel is scam.
................besides, it's a honda!!! At least you'll be rid of it!!! Hell, you ought to pay him to come get it!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:47 PM
cecil1
Cruiser

The part I don't understand is that I am not signing off on this thing in front of a notary. Even though he gives me cash, and I sign it over, if he leaves andWRECKS the thing before he gets his name on the title, the bike is IN MY NAME. Your telling me I would not be responsible on my end? The other thing is, being Sunday, I can't cancel my insurance. That might be the biggest problem. He is not taking the bike with the insurance in my name.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 PM
fantail
Stage IV

Is it the same for selling cars in pa? Once you sign over the title, signed, dated by you, you arent liable for anything, isnt there a place for him to fill out his name as "buyer" on title?
No scam going on, its standard practice in ct.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Like I said, his state may not require a notary. That is why you make a bill of sale. If it makes you feel better write on the bill of sale that you are relieved of any responsibilities due to his negligence. Once you have the bill of sale signed by him and cash in hand, no matter what happens it is then his responsibility, you would not be liable. You could also request proof of insurance coverage before you sign it over. There are alot of options, and I don't think you arebeing scamed in any way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Someone is trying to scam me on my bikes title!