Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tank but is not the same.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
MegaImagen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tank but is not the same.

Guys, over a moth ago I was read ended by a lady. Got my bike today after the repairs. The fuel tank is new, but the Harley logos is not the same color.

My scooter is a 2011 Iron XL883N. The original tank the Harley logo or letters where like gray. The new one is White. Anything I have to be concern here or do you think the Dealer made a mistake. The tank came directly from Harley-Davidson.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 PM
coco_iron883
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it but thats just me... its your bike if u like it..leave it if not tell them its not the same tank...

Good luck

Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 PM
MegaImagen
Cruiser

I don't going to lie, It bather me a little. I call the dealer and they are verifying with Harley Corp. I want my bike looking the same way it was before.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Might just be the monitor on this computer, but I don't see the difference.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it might make a difference if you want to resell it later the buyer may want the grey color not white? I've been told the new bikes are not decals but silk screened on during the painting process?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
blackknight883
Tourer

it's possible they changed the coloring slightly.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard they were silk screened too. The HD dealers I know send there paint to an outside vendor. I would personally make them do it correctly.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 AM
RickRock
Cruiser

Top 2 pics are what you got now; bottom 2 are before; correct? White is all by itself and stands out. Grey is closer to aluminum and would appear to incorporate, or be part of, the bike's color scheme. Some would prefer the stand out effect more; and some would prefer the subtleness of the grey. I take it you're part of the latter. I would be too. Hope they can make it work for you. If not, I don't know....maybe be grateful you're riding again? and able to talk about it. (:

Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 AM
MegaImagen
Cruiser

Guys this is what I got today from the dealer:
Hey Francisco,

This is the email I received from the motor company. They are saying that there is a slight difference in the color and that they want us to send them the tank back to them for inspection.

From what I gather, they will after inspection rush us a new tank to decrease the down time you would be without your bike. I realize this would be an inconvenience for you and I apologize for it.

I see to options here.

One do as they say and arrange for you to bring the bike in and us ship the tank to Harley for a new one. I am not sure what we would be looking at as far as how long you would be without your bike.

The second option is to live with it and know that you have an original paint set (so to speak). It is completely up to you sir, I will assist in what ever way you choose. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Thank you sir,

I am really disappointed. HD made a mistake and they want to stop my bike for over a month to get it right. I send a email back that their is not a second option here. I thin that HD must send a replacement tank not at my expense of stopping my bike for another month.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by MegaImagen; 04-16-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:37 AM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser

i think they're giving you a free tank because you dont like the color and it seems like they're willing to make it right. is it worth it to you to not ride because of gas tank color?

Quick Reply: New tank but is not the same.