Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter solenoid rebuild without removing starter question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM
vasol
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter solenoid rebuild without removing starter question

so my 1988 883 wont crank (dreaded click) and i've narrowed it down to the starter solenoid. The manual says to remove the primary cover, then starter, then the starter solenoid...but i'm pretty sure i've come across someone saying you can actually rebuild the solenoid while the starter itself is still on the bike. Can anyone confirm this...i hate to do more work when i dont have to

Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if a 1988 has a nippondenso starter or not my 06 did. But if it does then only one of the copper contacts inside the starter solenoid needs replaced.

Its the one the battery cable is attached to so take battery cable off battery first. That's presuming you can get the solenoid cover off with the starter still on the engine.

Starter rebuild kit from NAPA for import automotive applications is about 15 bucks has more contacts than you need its a universal kit. hth

Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 PM
vasol
Intermediate

so i managed to get the cover off with the starter still on the bike. I'm not sure what its supposed to look like though, anyone have any input as to whether it needs to be rebuilt or not? doesnt look that corroded to me...but this is my first harley so i have no idea.

Attachment 623612

Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It's actually the washer that usually sees the heavy wear. You can flip it over once and have a renewed wear surface. What was your diagnostic procedure to determine this was the issue? Really need to check V drop on the batt cable, and the green trigger wire,and ohms test ground cable on a bike this old. Assuming you have a known good battery?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Car Doc
Road Master

The pic is a great idea thanks it tells us a lot.

Well with that said the contacts are not your problem. When they are bad the one at the battery cable will be worn 3/4 thru or more.

Id clean it all up with fine sand paper or wire brush or wire wheel don't take any off the copper washer on the plunger and don't sand the plunger leave it as shiny as you can like it is but just a light clean up is all you need.

Id recheck the nuts out side the starter and make sure the battery and battery connections are good I believe your problem may still be inside the starter (very rare) or a battery connection somewhere. hth

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM
vasol
Intermediate

I have checked the battery, ignition relay, visual inspection/cleaning of all battery cables/grounds.

I did not try an ohm resistance test on the ground cable though...just looked it up so i will def give that a try.

when you guy say its the washer that sees wear...this is referring to the plunger? how does mine look? I'm concerned about the connectors inside the solenoid...specifically the bottom one. it looks like its a bit thin and worn compared to the top one and maybe its not thick enough to make the connection to the plunger?

Starter solenoid rebuild without removing starter question-zuvlq88.jpg

Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Car Doc
Road Master

vasol, those parts are near pristine condition should work for a lifetime. Here is a bad one from a car fwtw that still started most of the time. I have had my battery connections get loose they are lead where the cables attach and will "give" eventually. In fact any more I take a 10mm wrench with me every time I have my seat off and recheck them. hth

Attached Thumbnails Starter solenoid rebuild without removing starter question-img_2630-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Car Doc; 04-10-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer

That washer is far from pristine. I would flip it over, or replace it. The solenoid contacts, too. Those parts cost little.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 PM
vasol
Intermediate

thanks for all the input! I actually already have the rebuild kit, i was just wondering what the current condition meant. It looks like my starter might be aftermarket, and/or someone has definitely been serviced before because one of the three bolts are mismatched. I will replace them with new parts and see if my starter will crank then!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer

Is that a chrome housing? If so, stop messing with it and get an OEM H-D starter.

Quick Reply: Starter solenoid rebuild without removing starter question