Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good pair of lowering shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:59 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
I just put a set of Progressive 412's on my Sportster. I bought longer mounting bolts and kicked them out an inch to provide clearance for the chain guard; I didn't want to cut mine. The look is cool.

The ride quality is fine but I've noticed a lot more vibration coming through after the swap.
Does your sportster have a slot the shock goes into? Not sure I could do what you did.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Spurlee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Progressive 412's

Originally Posted by 85RoadsterXLS
Does your sportster have a slot the shock goes into? Not sure I could do what you did.
On my 2000, the eye of the shock sits flush against the frame at the upper point and flush against the swingarm locating tab at the bottom. There is no slot that the eye fits into. If I'm understanding your set up correctly you can probably move the shock to the outside of the slot the eye fits into and gain clearance. Fill the void where the shock eye originally went with a spacer and carry on.

The 412's are larger in diameter than the stock shocks and interfered with the belt guard. I bought 4 Grade Five stainless cap head hex bolts at Fastenal ($5) in the proper length to kick out the shocks 1.5" and 4 steel bushings that fit snugly over the bolts ($3) for added strength. Some stout washers (chrome on top), black paint and the finished product is very solid.

Note that the eyes on the Progressive shocks are offset about 1/2" from center. You can use that distance to your advantage when looking for clearance. Thus, there is a left and right shock orientation to be aware of.

One unanticipated benefit is that the new set up makes great, unobtrusive, bungee cord hook spots.

I'm surprised, though, that so much more vibration comes through. It doesn't bother me on this particular short-trip bike, but it would be an issue for some other riders, I'm sure.

Last edited by Spurlee; 04-23-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 AM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Originally Posted by Spurlee
On my 2000, the eye of the shock sits flush against the frame at the upper point and flush against the swingarm locating tab at the bottom. There is no slot that the eye fits into. If I'm understanding your set up correctly you can probably move the shock to the outside of the slot the eye fits into and gain clearance. Fill the void where the shock eye originally went with a spacer and carry on.

The 412's are larger in diameter than the stock shocks and interfered with the belt guard. I bought 4 Grade Five stainless cap head hex bolts at Fastenal ($5) in the proper length to kick out the shocks 1.5" and 4 steel bushings that fit snugly over the bolts ($3) for added strength. Some stout washers (chrome on top), black paint and the finished product is very solid.

Note that the eyes on the Progressive shocks are offset about 1/2" from center. You can use that distance to your advantage when looking for clearance. Thus, there is a left and right shock orientation to be aware of.

One unanticipated benefit is that the new set up makes great, unobtrusive, bungee cord hook spots.

I'm surprised, though, that so much more vibration comes through. It doesn't bother me on this particular short-trip bike, but it would be an issue for some other riders, I'm sure.
Yes I have a slot at the bottom end that the shock fits into so I cannot kick it out but too late anyway. I did notice the offset and put them on accordingly. I have only rode it up and down my street so far so I don't know about any more vibration, but will be riding in to work here in a little bit. Will see then. I am anxious to see how they ride down the road.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Originally Posted by evilsporty
I have a set of Progressive 440s for sale in the classifieds. They are low miles, 11" eye to eye, custom painted black springs. Let me know if you are interested.
Evilsporty,

I pm'd you. Not sure if you saw it yet, but here are the pics...

Attached Thumbnails Good pair of lowering shocks-shock1.jpg   Good pair of lowering shocks-shock2.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 736 Posts

Put a set of chrome Burley 10.5's on the Wife's 04 1200 Custom. Sher loves them. Said iy's like a new bike. One thing you MUST DO - lower the belt guard!!! Easy fix - remove the upper belt guard and elongate the rear mounting hole about 1/4". Belt guard will sit closer to the belt and the fender strut cover will not dent the belt guard.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix for future reference. There aren't any lowering blocks made for Sportsters from around 1987 and older, because the lower shock mount on the swingarm is different from the newer ones. The swingarms changed lengths from that point, too, getting longer with each era. Comparing what length of shock will work without fender interference is not valid from era to era, since the shorter the swingarm, the more difference a change in shock length makes. Same with horizontal clearances...the newer the Sportster, the wider the rear fender and tire, not to mention the changeover in the 1990's from chain to belt.