Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-way helmet communication

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 AM
ClodeV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned the sena's to my wife last night and that i may want to switch to those vs the cardo scala's, that i have 3 of. She wasn't very receptive since we have a few hundred into the cardos hahahaha. Why can't she understand?????????
Oh ya she almost never uses it hahahahaha.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 AM
ClodeV
Tourer

I mentioned the sena's to my wife last night and that i may want to switch to those vs the cardo scala's, that i have 3 of. She wasn't very receptive since we have a few hundred into the cardos hahahaha. Why can't she understand?????????

Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmant
Hey guys,

After a lot of searching I have managed to find nothing useful to help me with what I'm trying to accomplish. Two buddies and I are doing an 8200 mile trip in May and we really want a way to talk to each other while we're riding. I would really like a 3 way helmet communication system that is not astronomically expensive. The only one I've found so far is one that can be bought at the stealership for $200 each. Seems a little outrageous.

So has anyone tried this and found something works well? I really appreciate the help. This is literally the last hurdle of planning for our trip. FYI we have full face helmets.

Kevin
Take a look at the J&M website

Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ClodeV
Which model Scala Rider do you have? We have the G9 and do 4-way full duplex conferencing.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 AM
ClodeV
Tourer

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
Which model Scala Rider do you have? We have the G9 and do 4-way full duplex conferencing.
I have one of the older ones Q2 pro

Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Will one system work in conjunction with the other or does everyone have to be on the same system?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

Baka, I believe you need the same system scalas will not match with sena. I've never tried to mix the two but if they did that would be great. I have an older scala so mine wont do conference sharing to mutiple bikes like the newer ones do.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Swampdoc
Advanced

"Will one system work in conjunction with the other or does everyone have to be on the same system?"

My Sena SMH-5 just got a firmware update that will supposedly allow it to work with other brands, although I'm not sure how that functions. It isn't as straight forward as connecting to another Sena, and I haven't actually tried it yet (just got the firmware update a week or two ago).

Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 PM
gotshot
Novice

Have you thought about using frs radios and using a voice activated headset. Have all on the same channel and I am sure you could hook up to power from the bike.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:26 AM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys we got 3 of the Sena SMH10s and I have to say they are probably some of the best things I've bought for the bike yet. It is truly a quality product in every way. Starting from the way it is packages to the way it attaches to your helmet.

REVIEW OF THE SENA SMH10:

Sound: The quality of someone's voice and your music is terrific. I had an issue at first where I thought I could not hear my music very well or hear the voices of my friends. But the problem was I didnt have the speakers positioned over my ears in the helmet. Once I made the correction they worked like a dream. I never once had an issue understanding someone after that. Even with wind noise it is still easy to hear music or other people talking. You don't even need to yell into the mic when youre driving either. That actually makes it harder to understand what someone is saying. A normal voice, no matter how loud your bike is, will be perfectly clear on the other end. I called my girlfriend on the road and she said she couldn't tell I was even on the bike.

Operation: With gloves it is a piece of cake to use. There are only two buttons to use, the big turn dial on the side and a phone button on the back. Between these two buttons you can literally do everything easily with a gloved hand. Everything from switching between music and intercom, to switching songs, turning up the volume or even making a phone call. If you have an iphone, this is ideal. With the press of the phone button, the headset activates the voice control of the iphone and from there you can literally do anything. You can tell Siri to play your music, make a phone call or whatever. My friend has an android through T-mobile and while it works ok, the voice activation is not as good as on the iphone but the headset still works great for him.

Distance: It advertises about 980 yards and that is no joke. There was a few times we got completely out of sight of each other and were still able to hear each other over the intercom. Still great quality even at a distance.

Durability: They last a long time, battery life wise. We went for about a 6 hour cruise on Saturday and they were still going strong by the end. It also rained at the end of the day and they are indeed waterproof as advertised.

Overall: Great product. DO NOT get them from the Harley dealership. Harley wants about $200 for just one and we were able to get a pair on amazon for $280, making it $140 for each. They are worth every penny though. To be able to talk to other guys on road is awesome. I would absolutely recommend these to anyone that is interested.

Last edited by bigmant; 04-28-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 3-way helmet communication