Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-way helmet communication

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
bigmant
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3-way helmet communication

Hey guys,

After a lot of searching I have managed to find nothing useful to help me with what I'm trying to accomplish. Two buddies and I are doing an 8200 mile trip in May and we really want a way to talk to each other while we're riding. I would really like a 3 way helmet communication system that is not astronomically expensive. The only one I've found so far is one that can be bought at the stealership for $200 each. Seems a little outrageous.

So has anyone tried this and found something works well? I really appreciate the help. This is literally the last hurdle of planning for our trip. FYI we have full face helmets.

Kevin

UPDATE: CHECK OUT MY REVIEW OF THE SENA SMH10 ON THE BOTTOM PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD.

enjoy

Last edited by bigmant; 04-28-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
ClodeV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cardo scala system that i love. We use it for snowmobiling and for the bike. it handles everything you can imagine. Costs are resonable about 160 on ebay for the pair plus 100 ish for a single. The biggest con on these are you have to know what system you are in while using it (radio/talk only) and the lead person can only talk to one person at a time. batteries last 6-7 hours with music on or 8-10 just talking here and there

Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you look at Sena SMH 10 Bluetooth headsets? They claim they do four riders conference connection - never tried that, but my wife and I have been using them for some years now on our bikes.
http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh10/

Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

Wow like the info on that sena. Might consider switching to that since not being able to talk in conference is an issue for me in the winter on the sleds.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Originally Posted by Eisentreiber
Did you look at Sena SMH 10 Bluetooth headsets? They claim they do four riders conference connection - never tried that, but my wife and I have been using them for some years now on our bikes.
http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh10/
Thats actually the exact one that they had in the harley dealership. It was $200 just for one. I'm sure it works great but I don't know if I can justify the cost. If it comes down to that then I'll get it, but its a last resort at this point.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:26 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigmant
Thats actually the exact one that they had in the harley dealership. It was $200 just for one. I'm sure it works great but I don't know if I can justify the cost. If it comes down to that then I'll get it, but its a last resort at this point.
First rule of fight club don't buy it at the stealer. Ebay has a pair for 225 or go to amazon and im pretty sure it was 240 for the pair.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Just actually went with a Sena set I found on Amazon for about 140 for one. I think they will actually be perfect for the trip. A little expensive but worth it. I'll post up this weekend of how I like them.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

This is the Sena-5 I have the 10 and it works great. I believe the difference between the 5 an 10 is the distance that you stay connected at. 95 on amazon. Stream music into the helmet, answer calls, or like you want talk to your buddies during the trip.

Amazon Amazon

Here is the 10 if you want to compare them to eachother 159 on amazon. They have a 2 pack for like 220 or 250 if you search for it also, split it with your buddy.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Amn Kafka
Intermediate

I have the SMH10 on my helmet and I'd recommend it to anyone. I play pandora through my phone that sits in my backpack while I'm on longer rides. My brother didn't even know I was on the phone with him the first time he called me while using it.

Installation was also a breeze, took me about 5-10 minutes, with nothing being permanent.

I haven't used it yet for conference calls, which I know is your main objective, but if you are between this and another one, imho this is gonna be your better bet.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 AM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What truly convinced me of the SMH 10 was the communication distance; they really do the advertised 900 m/980 yards, line of sight.

Rugged units, easy-to-use with your gloves on, good audio quality. They're absolutely worth their price.

Quick Reply: 3-way helmet communication