Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a reminder

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a reminder

I just want to give everyone a reminder to pay particular attention to your rear view mirror when at a stop sign or when you are backed up in traffic. Here in AZ along with other states except Cali, lane splitting is illegal leaving us exposed to being rear ended. Monday night this lady hit me at full clip as she texted away on her new iPhone 5 (with her son in the front seat). Luckily I was in my car, which is totaled, but had I been on my bike I'd be road kill.

I know pretty much everyone on here is damn skilled on two wheels, but this texting and driving is reaching epic levels. Normally what I do if I am on my motorcycle and in that situation at a stop light behind traffic, is I pull up behind the car in front of my, but off to the SIDE. I then look into my rear view mirror all the while plotting my escape in case the approaching car from behind doesn't see me. Is this the best strategy, what do most of you do? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

What you do, and leave it in first gear ready for evasive maneuvers. Once a car stops behind me and blocks the view, I just have to hope he doesn't get hit hard enough to sandwich me. I try to point the bike slightly to the side of the car in front so there's a chance I'd be shoved off to the side. Slim chance... First in line, hope there's a break in traffic if you see the car coming behind isn't stopping. I took off hard through a red light once, just for that reason, and avoided the hit.

I avoid traffic as much as possible, too. Don't know if it's everywhere now, but way too many folks up here just don't pay attention to what they're doing on the road; I never, ever, ride into nearby Minneapolis. Riding for me is pleasure, and the barefoot in a herd of stampeding elephants feeling I get up here in 4 wheel drive land is no pleasure; my riding is away from traffic.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Sportyrat
Intermediate

Wow, Fairbanksdmt, glad you're ok and weren't on the bike.

I do the same thing, stay off to one side, keep it in gear, and constantly watching that rear view.

a lot of the time i'll pulse the brake so the light is "blinking". I don't know if it helps me be more visible, but i haven't been rear ended (yet).

I'd like to get some LEDs that i saw at AZ Bike Week a few weeks ago they actually have the controller built in that you can set patterns for the pulsating brake light (don't remember the manufacturer though).

Anything that makes someone look at you is a good thing.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
USMC_ech110
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I added the LED fender brake light after my brother, who was driving behind me, said he had trouble seeing my lights. Especially on an Iron were one of "brake" lights is also being used to indicate you're turn.

When I'm commuting to work in heavy traffic I also wear my Hi-Vis vest.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:27 PM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your alright and i do much of the same as all of you do when stopped even living in the **** state of California.
My cousin was rear ended on his bike a week after returning from active duty in the middle east a couple years ago, he almost died and is now confined to a wheel chair.

watch your mirrors and keep the bike in gear, plan an escape route before you need it.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by So-Cal Street Glide
Glad your alright and i do much of the same as all of you do when stopped even living in the **** state of California.
My cousin was rear ended on his bike a week after returning from active duty in the middle east a couple years ago, he almost died and is now confined to a wheel chair.

watch your mirrors and keep the bike in gear, plan an escape route before you need it.
Wow man sorry to hear that! Yeah good advice on all accounts above. I think this texting and driving thing is going to get serious in the years to come. I too keep it in first gear ready for an emergency exit as I stare into the rear view mirror.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

I try to do the same ..stay on one side with it in gear and check the mirrors ....... so many crazy people here in Phoenix ....

Old 04-24-2014, 09:27 PM
mopeman-72HD
Tourer

All the same here...you got to always watch your 6.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by So-Cal Street Glide

Originally Posted by Sportyrat
Wow, Fairbanksdmt, glad you're ok and weren't on the bike.

I do the same thing, stay off to one side, keep it in gear, and constantly watching that rear view.

a lot of the time i'll pulse the brake so the light is "blinking". I don't know if it helps me be more visible, but i haven't been rear ended (yet).

I'd like to get some LEDs that i saw at AZ Bike Week a few weeks ago they actually have the controller built in that you can set patterns for the pulsating brake light (don't remember the manufacturer though).

Anything that makes someone look at you is a good thing.
Man I wanted to go to bike week so bad, but I have seen those lights you are speaking of, I might check into those.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Willymon
Advanced

It happened to me as well. Full stop...saw about the last 15 feet before the 87 yr old guy rammed us. We were in a PT Cruiser and I must admit, it took the 30 mph jolt very well..not so much his little Ford compact.

Wife was freaking..it just sounded like a very loud explosion. Knocked my Harley hat into the back seat. It was her car..so she traded it in for a nice KIA Optima..hehe. She looked at it like damaged goods with bad hoodoo.

While we were waiting for the cop to show up, I told her. Lucky we weren't on the scooter. Like everybody says..I leave it in gear and I'm a car length away from the car in front of me.