Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day Tripper custom tuck and roll; for rigid sporty's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM
rodteague
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Day Tripper seat; custom tuck and roll; for rigid sporty's

This post is from my build threads on XLforums and ADVrider. Thought there may be some interest in this seat, since there aren't many with this option out there. In fact, the first time I saw this seat for the rigid sportster, with the custom tuck and roll, was when it arrived at my door today. Enjoy.

When I started this build I was a bit torn regarding seat selection. I liked the south western badlands look and was equally drawn to the 2 up roadster look. I researched seats and manufacturers and finally settled on Mustang, mainly for the reviews I was reading. A call to their customer service and it was decided I should try the Solo. I ordered it with the conch's and initially was very pleased. The seat height was a little taller than the other Mustang offerings and the comfort is /was second to none. However, as the MPS began taking shape and the direction was heading down the path of a classic roadster. The Solo was not making the cut from the aesthetics department. So the search started once again.

I have literally been scouring for nearly a year. Most seats I encountered either were to low or lacked in the comfort dept. I also had a more recent requirement that the seat have a tuck and roll top, so that it would give the sporty a clean, classic, roadster look. For 2014 Mustang introduced seats for the Triumph Bonneville. That seat had all of the features I was looking for. I called Mustang in February and they suggested I order the Day Tripper with the tuck and roll option. I was a little hesitant because Mustang did not have any stock photos or examples of this seat for the rigid mount sportsters. I was assured by the young lady in customer service that this seat would have the requirements I was looking for; because, the contour of the seat pan for the rigid mount sportsters was a little flatter and taller. It would resemble the Bonneville and be similar in fit to the Solo. That was enough for me, so I pulled the trigger. $350 and change, and 6 weeks later, my seat arrived.

I'll have to admit, it really looks good. Cleans the lines on the MPS nicely. The seat is not quite as tall and will take a few weeks to break in. First ride impressions are, the seat is more comfortable than stock but not quite as good as the Solo. I'll give it some time to see how it breaks in.

I'll have a more extensive ride report in a few days; and hopefully the final modifications to report.

Rod
My build threads can be found here:

My Multi-Purpose Sportster(MPS) advrider

My Multi-Purpose Sportster(MPS) xlforum

Regards

Rod

Last edited by rodteague; 04-24-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Gingerale
Novice

I like it, I'm looking to do something similar in style with my own sporty.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 PM
rodteague
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gingerale
I like it, I'm looking to do something similar in style with my own sporty.
Thanks, what year model is your sportster BTW?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Gingerale
Novice

Mine is an '02 XL883R.

Last edited by Gingerale; 04-25-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:42 PM
rodteague
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gingerale
Mine is an '02 XL883R.
Nice thing about a 883R rigid mount; there won't be many mods you'll need to do other than a little taller suspension and maybe a seat change. It's pretty much GTG as is.

Let me know if I can be of any help

Rod