Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossover pipe gasket install

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Crossover pipe gasket install

Hello,

putting on new cycle shack slipons...took the stock off and there was crossover gaskets on the stock exhaust but they were badly disintegrated.... so i can buy more, question is do you put the gasket on the new slipon (like it was when i took the stock off) then push it onto the crossover pipe or do you put the gasket somehow on the crossover pipe then push the slip on over it? Ive searched threads like crazy...what i find is instructions from vance and hines saying to put this gasket over the connect pipe...not on the new exhaust...then i see it on other sites where your suppose to put it on the exhaust?? I have a 2007 sportster.Thanks for your help.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 AM
LiveFreeRideSportster
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes sense to put the gasket on the cross over then press the muffler onto it for a good seal. The other way around and you have a chance of bunching it up. I have a 2006 that I installed new mufflers on and did it that way

Old 04-25-2014, 05:33 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

These gaskets are called "muffler interconnect gaskets."

For my 2009 Sportster Iron, they are HD part #65927-00, and they come two to a package.

Put them on/over the crossover pipe - NOT in the muffler, then slip your mufflers onto the engine pipe the proper amount, then rotate the muffler towards the gasket/crossover outlet [taking care not to screw up the gasket because they're fragile], align them, and press them down over the gasket/crossover outlet, slowly into position. They should slip over real easy. You have a small amount of play in the engine pipe to allow you some movement without screwing up the engine pipe gasket [you can loosen the engine pipes before hand if you want; just don't forget to retighten them after you're done with everything else]. Once they're in place and the mufflers are aligned with the crossover pipe bracket holes, hold the muffler in position and install the two lower mount bolts through the mufflers into the bracket and hand tighten them. Do the other muffler the same way, then add your center mounted pipe bracket, make sure everything's aligned, then tighten everything up. Slide your covers into position over the engine pipe[s] and tighten. Start 'er up and look and feel for leaks...

=8^)

Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

Okay i see, so in that picture it would go on the interconnect pipe like a bottle cap on a beer, i guess it will be obvious when i buy them, i have nothing for comparison at the moment. Thanks alot guys.

Originally Posted by DrewBone
These gaskets are called "muffler interconnect gaskets."

For my 2009 Sportster Iron, they are HD part #65927-00, and they come two to a package.

Put them on/over the crossover pipe - NOT in the muffler, then slip your mufflers onto the engine pipe the proper amount, then rotate the muffler towards the gasket/crossover outlet [taking care not to screw up the gasket because they're fragile], align them, and press them down over the gasket/crossover outlet, slowly into position. They should slip over real easy. You have a small amount of play in the engine pipe to allow you some movement without screwing up the engine pipe gasket [you can loosen the engine pipes before hand if you want; just don't forget to retighten them after you're done with everything else]. Once they're in place and the mufflers are aligned with the crossover pipe bracket holes, hold the muffler in position and install the two lower mount bolts through the mufflers into the bracket and hand tighten them. Do the other muffler the same way, then add your center mounted pipe bracket, make sure everything's aligned, then tighten everything up. Slide your covers into position over the engine pipe[s] and tighten. Start 'er up and look and feel for leaks...

=8^)

Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to add a question here, if I could. I'll be doing this same swap tonight, or in the am. I've seen a thread or two with people using ultra copper or something similar when replacing these gaskets/pipes. Is this necessary? And if so, where exactly is this applied?

Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

Lessons learned quick and dirty:

1. Loosen up header bolts and heat shields (could have saved myself some frustration)
2. Get some WD40 if your bike is 7 years old like mine, those suckers wont come off without it.
3. Go buy yourself some new crossover gaskets, they are a one time use thing and do make a difference for air leaks, only 8 bucks for a pair.
4. Do put the gaskets on the cross over pipe first, then slip your pipe on top of that. The other way around you wind up crushing the gasket (you dont know it though)
5. Drink beer while doing this its funner that way.
6. Start your bike up after your done at 9pm or later.....your neighbors will love you.

Awesome sounding pipes!!!! glad i did it myself. I learned a little while i was under there. Thanks for everyones help.

The following users liked this post:
Eddie Roberson (08-01-2023)
Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hOtroDD77
I'd like to add a question here, if I could. I'll be doing this same swap tonight, or in the am. I've seen a thread or two with people using ultra copper or something similar when replacing these gaskets/pipes. Is this necessary? And if so, where exactly is this applied?
"Ultra Copper" or any other type of silicone is not necessary [nor would it hurt anything] to properly seal the gasket[s], though I could see using it on the inside of the gaskets to help keep them shtuck in place on the crossover pipe outlets during installation of the mufflers. Once in place and tightened down the gasket will squash and seal real nice all by itself...

=8^)

Old 04-26-2014, 06:56 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

when i took my stock exhaust off, on the rear pipe there was no gasket. I looked really well in both pipes to see if it fell in, and even looked for the O ring figuring the mesh part had fully been torn off...nothing. I also noticed when i took it off my bike the area where it would have gone was loose, where the interconnect tube connects to the muffler. I just bought this bike a month ago, have taken it on many rides though. It is an 06 with 20K miles. That left me wondering if the previous owner swapped the stock pipes back on for sale. My bike ran lean, i wonder if this part of the reason...probably had a leak. Cant wait to go on a nice long ride with these new pipes...have to work today ill have to wait.