Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak, am I doing it right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak, am I doing it right?

So the last thread I made was a bit of a fail, but after doing som more checking on the slip ons I installed I'm starting this new one that's a little more pointed, and hopefully you guys can help me out with some questions.

I installed a set of cycle shack slipons/xied's Friday night. Went for a ride Saturday and noticed I have air escaping at the muffler/header connection. After it cooled I retorqued the clamps, but I still have the leak. On both pipes it's only about a 1/4" long place that is escaping air(it doesn't leak around the whole pipe). The crossover tube connections are sealed good. I have had some popping, but very little. It doesn't happen on decel at all, but has once or twice when shifting gears. Typically it's only happening if I blip the throttle though.

I did reuse the torca clamps rather than buy new ones, and I did not use any sealant of any kind when sliding the new mufflers on. I'm guessing this is the cause of my problem. I did not loosen the header bolts at the engine, so I can't imagine that I messed anything up at that connection.

I've pretty much come to the realization that I am going to have to remove the mufflers and start over. My plan is to buy some new torca clamps and when I reinstall the mufflers, use some ultra copper around the head pipe with the muffler. Does this sound right, is there anything else I should/could do before or after I do this? Any other tips that might help when redoing this. Kinda bummed I have to do this again. This is the 1st time I've done anything like this, and was excited I didn't jack anything up, lol.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

replace the clamps. they are supposed to be used one time only. Ive reused a few without issue and have had others that would leak. the clamps are not very much

Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scooter1128
replace the clamps. they are supposed to be used one time only. Ive reused a few without issue and have had others that would leak. the clamps are not very much
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna grab some clamps on Tuesday when the dealer opens back up. I'm guessing those, along with the ultra copper will solve the problem. Any advice on whether or not to loosen the header bolts when I'm swapping these out? Bad idea? It was 'almost' impossible to get the rear slipon situated over the crossover tube gasket the first time I did it.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:00 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My D&D Bobcats had a leak like your describing. The guys at D&D told me it was normal and that it will go away. It did go away, now I gotta get my tune right.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would loosen the exhaust at the flanges, will make seating the crossover pipe gaskets much easier. do the whole system loose, then tighten from front to rear. much easier than fighting with it. depending on how old your bike is...make sure to use rust penetrant on the exhaust studs. use some graphite grease on the pipes where the mufflers slide on. lastly, be sure to check all the fastners after a few hours of running

Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scooter1128
I would loosen the exhaust at the flanges, will make seating the crossover pipe gaskets much easier. do the whole system loose, then tighten from front to rear. much easier than fighting with it. depending on how old your bike is...make sure to use rust penetrant on the exhaust studs. use some graphite grease on the pipes where the mufflers slide on. lastly, be sure to check all the fastners after a few hours of running
Thanks! Went ahead and did the exhaust again this evening. Much easier with loosening the flanges. I replaced the crossover gaskets again(prob didn't need to, but...). Took a lot longer this time because I decided to be an idiot and not remove the old gaskets before trying to install the pipes over the new gaskets with the old ones still in there. Took me way to long to figure out why I couldn't get anything lines up and tightened down. After tightening/loosening everything a million times, I figured it out and then it only took about 10 minutes...

Tightened the flanges first, then the clamps/mounting bolts, then torqued the clamps down. I did use some ultra copper at the muffler joint, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to start it up. I'll just cross my fingers there are no leaks this time. Is there any reason for me to be concerned about any leaks at the flanges now, since I loosened them up? I would assume not, but if you haven't noticed yet, this IS my first rodeo so to speak. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a manual it has the order in which you are supposed to torque down all the clamps and bolts. I just replaced all my exhaust hardware when I got my bike and installed slip ons/wrapped my headers. They were all rusty though so you might not have to replace all your hardware like I did.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BootheatsBUGS
If you have a manual it has the order in which you are supposed to torque down all the clamps and bolts. I just replaced all my exhaust hardware when I got my bike and installed slip ons/wrapped my headers. They were all rusty though so you might not have to replace all your hardware like I did.
Yeah, it's a '13, so all I replaced was the clamps. Seems like I did it per Harley's instructions(no manual, but found an install PDF for screamin eagle slipons). Stated at the front and went back. Tightened the lower flange bolts, then the top ones, then the lowers again. Worked my way back after that. Hopefully I did it right. Couldn't get my torque wrench in there, but just made sure I tightened the flange bolts down good

Last edited by hOtroDD77; 04-29-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
pjgoeman
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed Rush slip ons and my bike surged really bad. I checked for leaks and both mufflers were leaking slightly at the head pipes. Rush recommended new clamps torqued to 60 ft lbs and some of the high temp copper RTV. So far so good. The popping has totally gone away and the surging is almost gone.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM
hOtroDD77
Cruiser
Default Just a couple more questions!

So hopefully this will be the end of the end of this subject. After a lot more reading today I loosened the exhaust back up and realigned/re torqued everything. Torqued the flange nuts in sequence, then the muffler clamps, then the mounting bolts. I started it up and didn't feel/hear any kind of leaks at the cylinder head, or the muffler joint, so that's good; I did burn the crap out of my finger this time. Seems to be a little more vibration than before, but I suspect the pipes will cause a little of that.

Took it on a 30 or so mile ride to see how it did. I only got some pop on decel 2 times during some downshifting. I was trying to see if I could get it to pop quite a few time during the ride just to make sure, so I'm guessing a little bit of that is just going to happen? I can rev the engine pretty high, let off the throttle, and don't get any popping. I don't 'think' Ii heard any other noises that would lead me to suspect a leak. I did hear ticking, but I think it's just the normal 'sewing machine'. Is it really obvious/different when it is a leak? It seemed to run smooth through all gears, and with the xied's it seems to like the higher rpms a little better than before.

When I got home I let it cool down and checked the torque on everything again; It pretty much all right on. When I was doing this I noticed that a very small bit of the ultra copper got blown out of the pipes. I wouldn't think this will an issue since I put the new clamps on, and don't feel any leaks now. The idle on the bike seems a little different; is this from the new pipes and xied's? I think I'm just being a little paranoid about every little noise etc, hoping it's running like it should. I took a little(crappy) video with my phone of the idle. This is after my initial ride; engine was already warm.

Thanks again for all of your help so far; this forum has a ton of great folks, and good information. Any info you can lend regarding the above questions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, just want to learn and make sure I do everything right.

Last edited by hOtroDD77; 05-02-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak, am I doing it right?