Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:57 AM
crotchrocket
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like there is a market for a quick clip in / clip out baffle....

although you'd need something to carry them in...

Why not just get the exhaust with the valve in so you can quiet it down when near home... That said i put some of the LAF pipes on my sporty and i felt slightly bad for the neighbours. But its a sunny day bike and not used everyday.
My daily commuter GS has a straight pipe on it, but its no where near as loud as the HD and i don't leave until about 8:15 which is a more than reasonable time to be making a noise.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
I don't under stand why some people want to make their bikes so loud. It just make so many hate bikes and we have enough of them already. And the big one. You are probably destroying your hearing every time you ride it. Later in life when you have constant ringing in your ears you will wish you never had put loud pipes on your bike. And yes I have ringing in both of my ears 24/7. It sounds like a dial tone on a telephone. No its not from loud mufflers, its from being in Vietnam as a combat solder. But still caused by loud noises. So do what you want now but you will hate it later.
Most people don't either. The -ONLY- reason they have loud pipes is to say "HEY! LOOK AT ME - I'M VERY IMPORTANT, YOU SHOULD LOOK AT ME AND SEE HOW COOL I AM AND BY THE WAY I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS SO F___K OFF".
They couldn't care less about hearing loss or other peoples feelings. It's all about ME. Helmethead is a great example.

Is there any reason, safety or otherwise, to full throttle away from the dealers parking lot (or anywhere else bikers congrigate) or sit at a red light blipping away to their hearts content annoying everyone? - - NOPE - NADA - NONE.

So when you see someone like that, shake you head and feel pity for them. The general public and police sure won't.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Bl0at3r
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Noise polution and nuisance noises can be different from one person to another though...

I love my HD with loud pipes - my neighbours probably don't.

On the flip side - I don't take too kindly to my neighbours feral children who insist on screeching in the garden for the entire summer.

Nor do I have any time for the other neighbour who has a mono-tone drone like foghorn leghorn and spends most of his retirement shouting into the phone like he was on one end of two cups and a piece of string.

Or one of our other neighbours who's dog is about 6 inches long, called 'Scruffy' and decides to bark (yap) whenever we set foot into the garden which prompts the woman to shout 'scruf-fy' at the top of her voice.

Me, grumpy? no, but people are quick to moan about loud pipes, yet are oblivious to their own noise polution.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Most people don't either. The -ONLY- reason they have loud pipes is to say "HEY! LOOK AT ME - I'M VERY IMPORTANT, YOU SHOULD LOOK AT ME AND SEE HOW COOL I AM AND BY THE WAY I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS SO F___K OFF".
They couldn't care less about hearing loss or other peoples feelings. It's all about ME. Helmethead is a great example.

Is there any reason, safety or otherwise, to full throttle away from the dealers parking lot (or anywhere else bikers congrigate) or sit at a red light blipping away to their hearts content annoying everyone? - - NOPE - NADA - NONE.

So when you see someone like that, shake you head and feel pity for them. The general public and police sure won't.
That is quite a wide brush you paint with!!
I replaced my stock exhaust with a set of Vance & Hines slip-ons and toned em down just a bit with the DK Thunder Torque Inserts.

I guarantee the reasons for changing out my exhaust had nothing to do with any of the reasons that you have listed.
It's simple, I enjoy the sound!! just like I enjoy listening to a Ford Mustang GT or a F-18E/F Hornet demo or a Nitro Funny Car. I have the privilege to enjoy an awesome exhaust note every day that it doesn't rain!

I also realize that not everyone enjoys my pipes, so I ride accordingly when necessary.

Now that I think about it, my dad doesn't get covered with your brush either. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...spiration.html He is 74 and loves his pipes.

Last edited by S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r; 09-02-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger
That is quite a wide brush you paint with!!
I replaced my stock exhaust with a set of Vance & Hines slip-ons and toned em down just a bit with the DK Thunder Torque Inserts.

I guarantee the reasons for changing out my exhaust had nothing to do with any of the reasons that you have listed.
It's simple, I enjoy the sound!! just like I enjoy listening to a Ford Mustang GT or a F-18E/F Hornet demo or a Nitro Funny Car. I have the privilege to enjoy an awesome exhaust note every day that it doesn't rain!

I also realize that not everyone enjoys my pipes, so I ride accordingly when necessary.
You may be right about my brush, it is a little big. You aren't the problem - you regulate when and where you let it out and are conscience of your neighbors. Fortunately a Mustang isn't nearly as loud as aftermarket Harley exhausts and F18's don't fly down city streets on a daily basis and you know what to expect when you go see a funny car at a track. None of those **** off the general population. Most Harleys and some others do and those are the ones that can affect us if they bunch together and complain to their politicians. And politicians just love to jerk us around with crazy laws.

I don't have a problem with most aftermarket exhausts just the obnoxiously loud ones and the ones used indiscriminately just to get attention.

I'm with BIO on the noisy neighbors - thankfully I don't have any.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

imo loud pipes saves lives thing is BS, and research doesn't support it either.

I tried to get some quieter baffles for my pipes, but I contact vance and hines and they actually don't make any for these. They came on my bike when I bought it, and I don't have the money to change em or I would... they drag when I corner because they swoop down....

My pipes aren't quiet, they aren't loud. They're right in that middle area where some sensitive (or dramatic) people say they are loud, and everyone else says they are fine.

I wear earplugs when I take rides over 40mph, but it's not for my pipes, it's for the wind noise. I WISH I didn't have to ride with them in. There's a lot of good research to look into about hearing damage from riding motorcycles, and it's from wind noise, not the sounds of the motorcycle. I just barely put the plugs in my ears, it removes high frequency noise (wind noise) and I get to keep all the other juicy deep sounds like my bike rumbling. The only thing I can't really hear is some of the higher pitched female voices when I have them in. That brief ringing in your ears after you ride with no plugs in? That's permanent hearing loss. Permanent.

As for waking neighbors, they should be happy when their alarm clock doesn't wake them up... and I'm there to make sure they aren't late for work! You're welcome!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,789 Likes on 3,576 Posts

"What?? Yeah, i'm pretty sure my bike is running- but here, let me romp on the throttle a few times to be sure!!"

Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by John S
"What?? Yeah, i'm pretty sure my bike is running- but here, let me romp on the throttle a few times to be sure!!"
I do always get a laugh out of the guys waiting at stop lights who are all chromed out and feel that they must rev their engine every few seconds.

Maybe they all just have problems with their idle....

Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

I'm 62 years old. I have a 1200 Sportster with short shots no baffles. I use lolly pops I built from the hardware store. She is loud and I like it that way. Not because I want to be noticed but because I like my Harley to sound that way.
That is why I put those pipes on.

Why would I want to be noticed? I put some thought into that and I didn't come up with a thing. But maybe you have a point. The garbage truck that come to my area at 5:00 AM is LOUD and wakes me up. Maybe he just wants to be noticed. The street sweeper that wakes me up 2 to 3 times a week at 4:00 AM Maybe he just wants to be noticed.

Some old men don't like loud noises and the looks of a biker and buy a 3 wheeler and screams at kids to get off his lawn. Some old men like the sound of a Harley with loud pipes drink beer and chase women.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Dane M
Road Master

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Some old men like the sound of a Harley with loud pipes drink beer and chase women.
Chase them on or off the bike? Or both?

Quick Reply: Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?