Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and Gary Dyer, your Trike is as big as a car, but my Sportster is not... you don't see what I see around here, so you have NO idea how many people around me are texting and driving -- so thanks for wishing death on me, wicked cool, bub.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

As a landlord, I have three rules of which I inform all of my tenants: (1) pay the rent on time, (2) don't destroy the property and (3) don't **** off the neighbors. As long as the tenant follows those three rules, for all I care they can do the Dance of the Wild Baboons while hanging from the chandeliers. However, once the neighbors start complaining to me about all of the hooting and hollering, that becomes my problem which will soon become their problem.

Now, I like warm, friendly relations with my neighbors even if some of them are Asshats. That means that I have to take into account their tender sensibilities, including not rousing them from their beauty sleep by unwanted noise from my Sportster. And I certainly wouldn't want some Asshat waking up my kids because they feel compelled to put a Fart Can on their '89 Honda Civic. It's all about the Golden Rule.

But back to the landlord thingie. So, maybe the landlord and the law can't stop you from firing up the bike and disturbing their peace and quiet. Still, that doesn't mean the landlord isn't without recourse. More specifically, how would you feel if your buddy's lease wasn't renewed and had to move because his Asshat friend couldn't resist the urge to **** off the neighborhood with his noisy motorcycle?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Grow up. You're acting like a child. Just think what it would be like if everyone decided they could take the baffles out of their exhaust. However do not take this the wrong way. I would never say anything to anyone unless they post and ask.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Willymon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanNightmare
Oh and Gary Dyer, your Trike is as big as a car, but my Sportster is not... you don't see what I see around here, so you have NO idea how many people around me are texting and driving -- so thanks for wishing death on me, wicked cool, bub.
How do you get "wishing you death" out of what Gary said?

Those loud pipes aren't going to save you from Mabel running a red light. They might come in handy if you are riding in someone's blind spot..but other than that..too loud is just annoying to most people.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced

I have seen, on many occasions, people almost pull out of a driveway (while looking up from their phone) and slam on their brakes because they heard me, for sure...

Regardless, thanks for the people that actually had something constructive/informative to say and to not just call me an asshat, or whatever, for wanting to protect my rights... I started parking down the street, near the main road and businesses -- if that is not enough then they can do what they will -- as far as the landlord and my buddy (who rides as well, just not as loud of a bike because he has a SIDECAR which is definitely more visible) the landlord seems to be appeased by my parking down the street, and my buddy is more pissed off about this than I am.... so EFF the haters!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I just have the stock *** (de-baffled, of course) exhaust, and it sounds throaty, but I want it to be louder but I am ALREADY catching flack from a buddy of mines neighbors/land lord.... so much that HE got a visit from the cops this morning at 8 am to complain about MY bike... any suggestions on what to do?...
Grow up.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Grow up. You're acting like a child. Just think what it would be like if everyone decided they could take the baffles out of their exhaust. However do not take this the wrong way. I would never say anything to anyone unless they post and ask.
I wish that everyone would sell their cages, buy a Harley, and do so. Maybe then we would have a lot less accidents and even less whiny b1tches around!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:47 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

Exhaust noise, rights, neighborly courtesy, and all that aside...do you really want to **** off your neighbors when you have to park your bike outside down the street every night?
I've lived in places where if I did that, my bike wouldn't be there one morning, or maybe it would be laying on its side. Just sayin. I understand you want to excercise your rights as you see them, but be careful, there can be repercussions.the law is one thing, people fixing their problems themselves is something else.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont worry about them kinds of people. They get like he is by living a life trying to make everyone around them happy. It will make you a miserable person if you live like that. Only people who I care about being happy is my wife and kids, and all of them love the bike.

I had a neighbor call the police on me. Long story short the police did come out, but they went to her to let her know that no law is being broke and the video she had showed me to show respect for my neighbors and not riding like a butthole.

My wifes best friend hates the hair on my face. Should I shave to make her happy? At what point do you stop. You are within the law. Let the LL know in a respectful manner and let the police know there is no law to enforce. Document it by your buddy recording as you ride up to his place. Make a video of you on the bike riding up. Be nice but dont bow to others for the sake of their happy happy feelings. It will make you a miserable person.

Last edited by Dusty Bones; 05-14-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM
orangehotrod
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
Exhaust noise, rights, neighborly courtesy, and all that aside...do you really want to **** off your neighbors when you have to park your bike outside down the street every night? I've lived in places where if I did that, my bike wouldn't be there one morning, or maybe it would be laying on its side. Just sayin. I understand you want to excercise your rights as you see them, but be careful, there can be repercussions.the law is one thing, people fixing their problems themselves is something else.
^^^^^ What he said. You're going to come out one morning and that bike is going to be beaten to ****. Lol

Quick Reply: Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?