Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:01 AM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?

So, I just have the stock *** (de-baffled, of course) exhaust, and it sounds throaty, but I want it to be louder but I am ALREADY catching flack from a buddy of mines neighbors/land lord.... so much that HE got a visit from the cops this morning at 8 am to complain about MY bike... any suggestions on what to do? I already started parking a bit down the street and walking to his apartment to appease his landlord that lives in the same building, but I already think that I have gone above and beyond, since this is a City and we are allowed to have motorcycles... I am quite pissed about this whole ordeal and realistically makes me just want to get even louder pipes, sooner, and then start parking back where I originally was... Anyone ever encounter this? Also, what exactly can the cops do, just ticket me, right?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 AM
ClodeV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a ticket for excessive noise and harassed mainly bepending on your states/city noise ordinences. Try to no rev it and run as quite as possible if you can. its almost a no win situation since your buddy will catch the heat for your bike. I have the same initial response to say f ...off but reprecautions are always worse. talk to the landlord directly and see if you can work something out. I've had similar with a neighbor awhile ago and now just more careful on start up reving and gear changes comin out of the driveway.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:32 AM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced

The problem is that I have to choke my bike for a bit, due to the sea level/humidity from being on the coast, and if I don't then it stalls. I have already talked to the landlord, and the outcome was I parked down the street (2 blocks away) close to the main st... which he said was better that next day, but then to no avail the cops come two days later and harass my bud that lives there. The even MORE annoying thing is that I park (in my neighborhood), within the same city, at all times of the day/night without a single complaint... so I just think that that neighborhood is full of a bunch of pussies, OR the landlord (who says he didn't call the cops) actually did and is just a lying bitch. None of these outcomes/possibilities make me want to appease anyone, anymore. Argh!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

get louder pipes and park outside her bedroom window.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

How about putting baffled mufflers back on the bike and quieting it down a bit? I know that it's not the answer YOU wanted but it would allow you to ride a perfectly street legal, EPA compliant bike that nobody can legally complain about. When you have neighbors you have to take them into account. The closer they are, the bigger the account.

My next suggestion would be to move! Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Jarlaxle (10-29-2017)
Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
It's a no-win situation really as someone said above. Check out the noise laws in your city first before doing anything drastic such as parking outside your buddy's landlord's window. If he really is the one who called the cops, he can try to get you and (worse) your buddy on harassment and intimidation. I would also check the actual decibel level on your bike (idle and rev) just to ensure that it doesn't violate any laws etc. If it doesn't then you can take on the landlord and even cops.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:57 AM
AmericanNightmare
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
How about putting baffled mufflers back on the bike and quieting it down a bit? I know that it's not the answer YOU wanted but it would allow you to ride a perfectly street legal, EPA compliant bike that nobody can legally complain about. When you have neighbors you have to take them into account. The closer they are, the bigger the account.

My next suggestion would be to move! Good luck!
There is no way in hell I will be doing any of that, considering this City is so young in population and all they ever do is text while driving -- so that fact alone makes me want an even LOUDER bike, so that I can at least be heard if not seen. Moving is definitely a plan, somewhere that isn't lame as F$%K 6 months of out of year (winter), and now apparently the other half of the year I am getting hassled, so yes, that would make the most sense.

Would rather not fight fire with fire, but I am literally at a point where I would -- but would do it without the bike.... air horns, fireworks, dragging cans/bottles around at late hours of the night...

Old 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...-asec1912.html

It says right in it, not including a motorcycle.

Get a hard copy of the law, give it to the land lord, park infront of your buddies house, wait for the police and inform them no law has been broken and to go look for someone else to arrest for a victimless crime. If they keep coming out file a complaint against the police, the land lord can call them all they want. It is the job of the police to go explain to the complainer no law is being broken.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM
ZWilks14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a summer place in oob. If you want to ride this summer, hit me up man. I love maine roads! Sorry to thread hijack

Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 AM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Maine doesn't have any noise laws on the books. Portland has tried to quiet down bikes in the past though. I personally would invite Portland's finest (a lot are Harley riders) to talk to you and your buddy's landlord. Unless you are doing burnouts in the living room there isn't too much he can do...

Quick Reply: Loud pipes: waking the neighbors?