Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny Noises - Are they normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Funny Noises - Are they normal?

1. ever since I had an energy one clutch installed about 3,000 miles ago I often get a squeal or a squeak on mildly aggressive take offs, I first thought it was the tire breaking loose but now I don't think so, I think it's the clutch itself, has anyone else experienced this with a racing clutch and what does that mean? My stock clutch never did that.

2.Also my bike has always made a funny sound when it gets really hot,, on hard take offs I get a pinging/cracking sound out of the motor, sounds like the top end on the forward cylinder.. it can basically only be heard when you put your ear close to the motor,, it's always done this but has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal?

thanks

Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

#1 - Have you lubed the belt? That is typically the cause on our big twin bikes.

#2 - What octane fuel are you using? Your description sounds like valve knock.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:52 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by run1fsr
#1 - Have you lubed the belt? That is typically the cause on our big twin bikes.

#2 - What octane fuel are you using? Your description sounds like valve knock.
#1? Lube the belt? I didn't know there was such a thing,,, isn't there a damper component some where between the belt & the Transmission, could that cause a squeak?

#2,, that doesn't sound good, I always run 93 octane, it only does this when it's really hot in a lot of city driving in warm weather, nevers does it on the highway.. but it doesn't sound nice. it's like a crack sound followed by a ping.

crack-ping, crack-Ping,, and it's about the frequency of the engine rpm,,, and it's always done this, so I think if it were something major then it would have already blown up. Maybe I need to adjust clutch just to make sure it's okay.

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 05-18-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:20 PM
willy78
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sporty75, you have any luck resolving the clutch noise? I've got the same clutch and the same noise, I thought it was the back tire breaking loose at first too, but now I'm sure it's the clutch, did adjusting it help?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

As far as the Ping noise. I'm not certain. Just throwing my two cents. Most sportys are a dual fire system. Meaning the spark plugs fire at the same time. When it's hot and the cylinder is in a period of its cycle where it's not firing it could have a slight pre detonation due to the heat in the cylinder.

That could be the noise your hearing. Do you hear it when the engine is cold?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:12 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Thinking about it more. It could also be a timing issue. Or a jet issue. Any upgrades to the exhaust or intake?

Another cause of pre detonation could be from carbon build up. Could try running some sea foam through your fuel to get rid of it. I'm a big believer in sea foam. I've also heard of some people misting water through the intake with the bike running. Theory is the steam helps break down carbon buildup. But if it were me I'd try to sea foam it first. Dump half a can in your full gas tank and go out for a long ride.

Last edited by Iarecobra; 05-28-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:23 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
1. ever since I had an energy one clutch installed about 3,000 miles ago I often get a squeal or a squeak on mildly aggressive take offs, I first thought it was the tire breaking loose but now I don't think so, I think it's the clutch itself, has anyone else experienced this with a racing clutch and what does that mean? My stock clutch never did that.

2.Also my bike has always made a funny sound when it gets really hot,, on hard take offs I get a pinging/cracking sound out of the motor, sounds like the top end on the forward cylinder.. it can basically only be heard when you put your ear close to the motor,, it's always done this but has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal?

thanks
Yes to #1, mine also has this sound.

OBSERVATION:
So in the end no resolution to this problem of a squeaky clutch on take-off, no surprise, the group here seems content to take on all comers for oil viscosity and filter microns but not true mechanical issues like yours (and mine) they are totally silent.

I suggest another forum like XLFORUM.net.
Look around or try this section: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/f...play.php?f=205

The boys there are more technically minded, crafting, breakdown and assembly and the like.

Ok children, jump.

PS: As to the lubed belt, my 1200 had oil spillage on the belt, this led to horrible noises, after cleaning the belt all went back to normal. You might look for oil on the belt.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

The squeaky clutch happens when the spring plate is removed. I removed my spring plate and replaced it with a friction and two steel discs and suddenly it was squealing like crazy. Did a lot of research and low and behold, that's one of the reasons the spring plate is there. I ended up installing an Alto spring plate which was a lot better made than OEM, IMO. It's been all quiet ever since.

I asked around of people who installed aftermarket clutches and a number of people had squeal after removing the spring plate.

So that's my story.