Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed CVP Premium Carb Kit Bike still runs like hell

Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 AM
GimmeAHammer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed CVP Premium Carb Kit Bike still runs like hell

2006 1200 custom sportster 7000 miles
Screaming Eagle filter and after market pipes.

Bike sat for 14 months wouldn't start.
This bike ran great before sitting.

Replaced plugs. Drained tank and added a octane booster to new gas. New battery.

Bought a small air compressor and carb cleaner for cleaning the Carb.

Pulled carb cleaned everything but did leave the float installed.

Bike idles great but once in gear sputters/bogs down. If I pull out enricher 1/4 to 1/2 way it runs decent.
So I ordered and today Installed the CVP premium kit. Same problem...

Pulled and cleaned float this time then...
I pulled out the previous jets 42 and 190 replaced with 46 and 185. Also replaced needle, mixture screw, Idle screw, new emulsion tube, replaced vacuum piston slide because (diaphragm torn)and drilled out off set slide hole to 7/64, and replaced vacuum spring.

Set enricher per manual, Set both throttle cables per manual, Ran mixture screw all the way in lightly, and set idle screw till engine almost dies. Then backed out mixture screw from 2 turns all the way to 4 and same problem...

Things I noticed on this carb journey. The previous owner who did all these mods.
- had the needle spaced with 3 washers.
- also the stainless steel (jet nozzle) that sits above the emulsion tube will only allow me to screw in the emulsion tube with the small diameter hole facing up into the carb. Per the instructions this is upside down! But if I flip it the threads are not near close enough to thread the emulsion tube into the carb????????

Thank you for reading and I hope you can offer me a solution. As I refuse to take to the stealership and really want to know how this all work

-GimmeAHammer

Old 05-17-2014, 12:24 AM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needle jet in backwards?
Intake manifold leak?
Diaphragm pinched?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:25 AM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser

Also did you check your float level? First thing I did when I got my bike is I bought the CVP carb rebuild kit ($16) and replaced EVERYTHING! Set my float level and replaced the fuel valve.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

- also the stainless steel (jet nozzle) that sits above the emulsion tube will only allow me to screw in the emulsion tube with the small diameter hole facing up into the carb. Per the instructions this is upside down! But if I flip it the threads are not near close enough to thread the emulsion tube into the carb????????
The needle jet installs big end up, into the carb throat.
Your bike shouldn't need more than a #45 & #180 jet.

Last edited by cHarley; 05-17-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 AM
GimmeAHammer
3rd Gear

Thanks for replies.
-Float is good as well as diaphragm.

I'll grab some propane and check for manifold leaks first. Then I'll have to get in there again and see why this needle jet doesn't seem to fit the proper way.
Could the previous owner have installed a longer one?

Put everything back together and see how it runs if I still have problems, Ill pull it apart and run the 45/180 Jets as suggested.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Same problem as is "Bike idles great but once in gear sputters/bogs down. If I pull out enricher 1/4 to 1/2 way it runs decent."?

Describe your symptom in more detail if you may. Does it happen when you are cruising? Under acceleration? What does it sound like? Where is it coming from? Does giving it throttle help? Etc.

Also is there any vertical movement in the needle (you have to check very lightly)? There should be absolutely none, not even 1/2 a mm. Since the original needle had 3 washers, it makes me believe that you will have vertical movement. If there is than the needle head can pop up and allow air to get up into the slide and eliminate suction and causing the slide to fall down. Therefore the bike will bog down.

-If there is vertical movement than you have to fix it. I experienced this problem right after installing the CV performance kit myself! I put a very small gasket in-between the needle seat (Plastic white thing that holds down the needle. Spring sits on top of it) and the head of the needle. This fixed my problem!

Last edited by Knights2TheEnd; 05-17-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
GimmeAHammer
3rd Gear

Problem solved thank you!

The needle jet nozzle I believe is what its called was upside down! The small stainless guide for lack of a better word above the emulsion tube. I flipped to put the emulsion tube on tapped it with a screw driver a few times and was able to get the emulsion tube threaded. Bike runs great now!
Thanks for the advice.

-GimmeAHammer

Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 PM
GimmeAHammer
3rd Gear

The needle jet nozzle I believe is what its called was upside down! The small stainless guide for lack of a better word above the emulsion tube. I flipped to put the emulsion tube on tapped it with a screw driver a few times and was able to get the emulsion tube threaded. Bike runs great now!
Thanks for the advice.

-GimmeAHammer

Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GimmeAHammer

Thanks for the advice.

-GimmeAHammer
Sweet! Now it is time to go rip up the streets!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:46 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The emulsion tube dont always go in all the way
In fact I'm not sure its not pipe thread !

But the long side of the "NEEDLE JET" always goes up !