Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fat Bob Wheels on 48?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:41 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Van Buren
For the front you'll need new axle spacers and possibly a rotor spacer. I went from a 16x3 front to a Street Bob 19" front and while the dealer told me all i had to do was fabricate new axle spacers i actually had to fabricate a rotor spacer as well. While both a re mid-glides, the 48 hub is offset where the rotor side is larger than the right side of the hub. On a Street Bob the hub is symetrical. Something to look out for.
Than you!! This is the kind of information that I am looking for. Avoids frustration and a lot of work...very appreciative of the contribution.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks like I am finally going to work on this... email sent to Thunderbike HD (http://www.thunderbike.de/ ) to see if they can provide details on what the did to be able to install those wheels to the 48...

http://www.thunderbike.de/galleries/..._caferacer.php

I tried searching for a used set, but no luck... email sent to Jon @ Horny Toad HD to get a quote of the wheels and bearings.

For the tires... the one from Thunderbike is running:

Front: 130/90B16 67H D427 F
Rear: 180/70B16 77H D427

Front is running a stock tire... all good there...

As far as the rear setup... I do not want to modify the rear fender... so I might look for a narrower tire to fit... Need to check the specs on the actual width of the tires to make sure there are no clearance issues with the belt and fender. I already know that I will most likely need to trim anything that sicks out too much inside the fender...

I upgraded the caliper to the one on the XR and also installed a fancier looking rotor. The plan is to stick with that setup.

I need to see where I can find that Hub covering where the holes for the second rotor are...

Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Cool

For the rear, if I use a Shinko 777 Heavy Duty Cruiser Tire in 170/70-16, it has a width of 6.61" which should fit fine inside the fender...

Anyone that has tackle a similar mod please chime in

I will miss the current setup... but I prefer having tubeless tires...

Last edited by wachuko; 05-26-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:40 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

It has been done... with the 180 tire... feeling better about this... Forgot that I had bookmarked hank-hill's thread on this... wooohoooo!!!

Originally Posted by hank-hill
So I decided to try something a little different on the rear and took a chance with a Fatbob tire and guess what after a little fiddling the darn thing fit.

This is the rim & tire I bought its from a newer Fatbob not sure what year.
Here are a few more with the 180/70/16 on the bike

Can't get much closer than this

Side view the bike is on a jack but I am running 13" shocks

Here is shot of the back with my new to me 180/70 16 back tire. Fits like a glove, I mean real close but it works.

I can't seam to get a great angle but the belt is close and does not rub

I used all the stock spacers, disk, pulley everything.
There is a special order on how to install it since it is about as wide as you can go on a stock sporty. Also I replaced my fender with a full fender so it's a tad wider due to the fact that it's all metal. If you look at the 48 fender from under neath and the sides you will see its plastic on the sides. This May or may not be a slight issue if you run low shocks, I have 13". There is a simply solution and that's just get a rim and run a 170/70 16 which is a common import cruiser size tire. The stock Dunlap 427 on the Fat Bob is really a large almost dual sport type tread so another 180/60 16 may be another choice. I did test fit the fender over the tire with everything off the bike and it it fit over just fine. I should have done this with the stock 48 fender and will next time I take it off.
So what is different about the install well glad you asked. Since the tire is so wide you can't just roll it in there with the pulley and brake disk on. Normally you can just roll past the brake caliper but the wider tire hits even if you try to angle a bit. So if follow the order below it will fit just takes a few minutes more. And it really is just a few more steps
1. Remove all 5 disk bolts
2. Remove axle
3. Lift bike enough to get the spacers out and disk.
4. Remove the caliper. Now be very careful !!! Mine was on on so tight with so much red loctite that the threads came out with it. I have purchased a 12x1.25 to correct this but still annoying it happened anyway.
5. Remove the caliper bracket. I found it best to side it back towards the rim then angle it down so it comes out the bottom. There is nothing else holding it on but a light rubber mallet did help free it up.
6. Slide belt off rear pulley and remove wheel.

This is a standard Fat Bob rim that I believe was used until this year when they went with a black rim. I will have it powder coated and that will run around $100, so for me it will be $300 total. Not bad for a 180 rear.

The other option could be to remove the pulley, install wheel, than put it back on. My pulley threads are fine but seamed like they were tighter going in so I felt it better to go the route listed above.

I'm now fat and happy
One other thing that did throw me for a loop at first is the tire direction arrow. I thought at first it would not work because the pulley bolt holes were to small. I then remembered that the twincam trans is on the other side. I know this should have been common knowledge but I didn't think about it at first and thought i was not gonna work. Now I will need to switch the tire around but I will do that when its coated.

The arrow shows the tire is on backwards, so you just need to switch it around

Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Parts list so far...

(1) Hub cap - Part No. 44447-00 This is for the front wheel. Hope it fits to cover the right side...
(5) Screws for Hub cap - Part No. 3655A (I have these in chrome when I ordered them and found out that the new rotor came with chromed bolts)
(1) Front Wheel
(1) Front Tire - Shinko SR777 Reinforced - Size: 130/90B16 73H
(1) Rear Wheel
(1) Rear Tire - Shinko SR777 Black wall - Size: 170/70-16 75H
(2) Valve Stem Assembly - Part No. 43157-83A
(2) Nut - Part No. 54321-85

Old 05-26-2015, 12:41 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Well... I will soon find out if it all works as expected...Parts ordered!

Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooo this should be sweet!

Old 05-26-2015, 03:46 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sroc3
Oooo this should be sweet!

I have been looking at videos on how to mount the tires and balance them... might give this a try myself... cool... more tools!

Got three spoon motorcycle tire levers irons, rim protectors, and a dyna bead kit for both tires.

Parts list so far...

(1) Hub cap - Part No. 44447-00 This is for the front wheel. Hope it fits to cover the right side...
(5) Screws for Hub cap - Part No. 3655A (I have these in chrome when I ordered them and found out that the new rotor came with chromed bolts)
(1) Front Wheel - 43300254-WHL,FR,SLOT,MACH,GBLK,16X
(1) Front Wheel Install kit - 42400008-KIT, WHEEL INSTALLATION F
(1) Front Tire - Shinko SR777 Reinforced - Size: 130/90B16 73H
(1) Rear Wheel - 40900261-WHL,RR,SLOT,MACH,GBLK,16X
(1) Rear Wheel Install kit - 43878-08B-KIT-WHL INSTALL,RR,25MM A
(1) Rear Tire - Shinko SR777 Black wall - Size: 170/70-16 75H
(2) Valve Stem Assembly - Part No. 43157-83A
(2) Nut - Part No. 54321-85

Last edited by wachuko; 05-26-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

A snag of sorts is that AFAIK the big twins use larger pulley bolts than the Sportsters. Also don't use a narrow belt in a wide pulley - that thing is going to walk around across the pulleys! A narrow rear pulley will centre the belt on the front pulley, as long as they are properly in line with each other (which is how the big twins all work).

Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by grbrown
A snag of sorts is that AFAIK the big twins use larger pulley bolts than the Sportsters. Also don't use a narrow belt in a wide pulley - that thing is going to walk around across the pulleys! A narrow rear pulley will centre the belt on the front pulley, as long as they are properly in line with each other (which is how the big twins all work).
Good point. All I know now is from hank-hill's thread. He mentions that the stock Sportster pulley bolts right on. So I will be using the same pulley and belt that I have. I will make sure to confirm alignment of both pulleys and belt.

All parts ordered... once they get here I will document the process and share it here.

Quick Reply: New Fat Bob Wheels on 48?