Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-Time Owner 06 Sportster 1200 Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
ckhutson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-Time Owner 06 Sportster 1200 Custom

Hey guys,

As of Saturday I am a new owner of a 2006 Sportster 1200 Custom. She has 17,000 miles. Aftermarket performance accessories include: Rinehart Exhaust and aftermarket air intake.

First-time owner here...so is there anything I should do/check maintenance wise (dealer did maintenance before I purchased). Also, is there any modifications that would be well-worth my while? I am open to any opinions or suggestions.

Here are a few pics...
http://imgur.com/0qvP6fD
http://imgur.com/7yaXwKE
http://imgur.com/qjAfRsT
View My Video

Happy riding and look forwarding to learning from y'all,

Clint

Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

first thing I would do is drive it for a few thousand miles...after that you should have a good idea for what you would like to do to make it better...

Old 06-16-2014, 11:39 AM
ckhutson
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mrfikser
first thing I would do is drive it for a few thousand miles...after that you should have a good idea for what you would like to do to make it better...
Agreed! I can understand that. I was curious as to if there are any common issues that I should look into, or anything along those lines.

Thanks for the response.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
1948rubberband
Novice

Add a windshield, Memphis Slim or the like. Riding will be much more comfortable. Change the headlight, HD "Daymaker" LED unit. Not cheap, list $400, but you'll see what's in front of you AND make you much more visible to others.

When it comes time for there's, Michelin Commander II, they work well.

Ride safe. Ride often. Get a good helmet.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:02 PM
ckhutson
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 1948rubberband
Add a windshield, Memphis Slim or the like. Riding will be much more comfortable. Change the headlight, HD "Daymaker" LED unit. Not cheap, list $400, but you'll see what's in front of you AND make you much more visible to others.

When it comes time for there's, Michelin Commander II, they work well.

Ride safe. Ride often. Get a good helmet.
Appreciate the info! I was actually looking into getting a windshield...so that definitely helped! Might not have it on 24/7...but when I really decide to go on a longer trip, would definitely be a plus!

Oh and a question for all of you guys...what oil would you recommend to use? I'm probably going to change it out in 1,000 miles or so (never know about some of these dealers), just to assure it has fresh oil. I was thinking Mobil 1 20W50 motorcycle oil...but not too sure what to use for the primary/transmission just yet. Also, would you recommend just sticking with a regular HD oil filter? Heard you need one without a bypass valve for the Sportster.

Thanks for all of the information provided as well as any future help! It's greatly appreciated!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:06 PM
AMathis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thuoght the windsheild wouild come off some too. I never take mine off they make a ride nicer for sure. I would put a saddle bags, and luggage rack on it if it was mine. But really let your first purchase be tires by then you'll know what you want and how you ride. Maybe if you don't have any get yourself some leather. Not just to look like a bad dude it blocks the colder winds you are going to see. Nice bike have fun with that thing.

I use Screaming Eagele HD 20-50 in the primary and I use the Mobil 2050 in engine every 5000 miles. I like the better stuff in the clutch and primary chain. As far as the filter if it't for the bike it don't matter to me if it's HD or not. I get my oil and filter at local Wal-Mart. And the primary fluid from my indy guy or the HD shop when I go there.

Last edited by AMathis; 06-16-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

first thing to buy is the shop manual.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, windshield is a must if you going to ride a lot,, I really like Harleys sport windshield,, it's only $167 and looks great, it's the perfect fit for the sportster, it 's a sport windshield so you still get some wind in your face but it keeps wind & bugs off your arms & torso and it just looks great on the bike.

looks like your bike already has some nice things done, but things I would do...

1. paint your side covers white
2. get a tail bag to fit on your sissi bar
3. crash bar with highway pegs.
4. laydown license plate bracket
5. get the tach speedo combo gauge or add a tach

as far as oil, I think they're all basically the same oil made to the same specs, synthetic holds up to high temps better, and I like to run lucas additive in the motor too. I use only dino in the primary, don't like synthetic getting on the clutch and Harley filters, so you know your getting a proper filter.

Last edited by 06Sporty75; 06-16-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Congrats! My '04 Sportster is the twin of yours. Only difference are the grips.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM
raq1025
Advanced

One BIG recommendation, check the spring plate in your clutch basket. If the previous owner didn't replace it or get rid of it, it may already be too late.
Many have had it come apart and damage the clutch basket. It's probably the only weak link in a pretty bulletproof bike.

Quick Reply: First-Time Owner 06 Sportster 1200 Custom