Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my bike running lean???

Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 AM
rotherdrummer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy is my bike running lean???

2004 1200 custom

i've only owned the bike a month and i haven't done many miles yet. i noticed from day one that on rare occassions i would get a sweet 'popping' sound as i shifted down. this sounded really cool and only happened every now and again. however, last ride out (only 15 miles approx) i noticed something different - at slow speed when pulling away the engine seemed to go quiet for a split second and then recover. it wasn't the same cool popping sound, it was more of a cough or a splutter. this happened 3 times in the 15 mile ride

at first i thought this might be the battery (which is almost dead) or the fact i had perhaps been filling it with a different fuel to the previous owner (i've been using super-unleaded). but after a quick google i've started to read about the 'harley hiccup' and horror stories about running rich or lean - in particular lean

if it was running lean, would you expect the bike to cause more problems than 3 small splutters in 15 miles? what's the best way to confirm whether or not it's running lean?

thanks in advance

Old 06-18-2014, 12:18 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

1st thing pull your plugs and that will tell you in which direction you going. rich or lean.
If they are solid white lean, black rich. carbed sporty's can some times have an issue with the pilot jet being to small. also check your air filter make sure it is clean and not full of oil.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:26 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClodeV
1st thing pull your plugs and that will tell you in which direction you going. rich or lean.
If they are solid white lean, black rich. carbed sporty's can some times have an issue with the pilot jet being to small. also check your air filter make sure it is clean and not full of oil.
Sounds like a good place to start (above).

You"re on a 2014 and the battery is almost dead? Get a battery tender & that sucker should last a long time. I'm on 2008 and still on the original battery.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by exemexer
Sounds like a good place to start (above).

You"re on a 2014 and the battery is almost dead? Get a battery tender & that sucker should last a long time. I'm on 2008 and still on the original battery.
2004, not 2014. I've still got the original on my '06, but I don't know the OP's particular scenario very well.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:45 PM
rotherdrummer
Advanced

here are some pics of one of my spark plugs. i'm a novice so please bear with me. i took only the first one off - the reason being:- my mates torque wrench didn't seem to be working properly, it just kept tightening and tightening until i thought "no way does this need to go any tighter!!!". so i don't fancy removing the other spark plug until i know i have a torque wrench that's working! i pray to god i haven't over-tightened the one i removed

Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM
A Seabee
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

that doesn't look too bad...

Old 06-18-2014, 05:07 PM
rotherdrummer
Advanced

cheers seabee - i just hope i haven't mucked anything else up by over-tightening the spark plug

Old 06-18-2014, 05:25 PM
rotherdrummer
Advanced

...so, assuming the other spark plug is in similar condition, is it a safe (ish) bet to assume the carb's not at fault? i wonder if it's just a case of using a gas that the bike doesn't like? it didn't behave like this when i first bought it last month

Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any mods to the bike like exhaust or air cleaner? My sons sportster did the same thing after doing the Stage I and we ended up changing the jets. Real easy job if you take your time.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Digitalman1961
6th Gear

Also, check the spark gap. It looks a little wide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is my bike running lean???