Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum switch

I mentioned this in a different thread but my vacuum switch isn't connected to the ignition control module.

89 sport deluxe. I know that the vacuum line goes to the carb but the VOES or switch whatever is mounted directly behind the carb goes to ground and to the ignition control module.

Question of the day is where is the ignition control module? Because I have the wire that is suppose to be plugged in from the vacuum but no other wire to connect it to.

Or can it be wired to something else given it's proximity to everything under the seat.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 AM
Roster
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it plugs in just above and back from the voes unit in the bundle of wires. Been a while since I had it out.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

If it's like my 1991, it's just rear of the battery under the triangular piece of metal.

John

Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

In my 89 there's no if initial module under that triangle piece to connect too

Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Your question begs others! Does your bike run well? If it does, you may have an aftermarket ignition module, as the factory one depends on the VOES to provide advance/retard timing under certain conditions. Some aftermarket modules work fine without a VOES, but the stock one doesn't. The stock module is a black block about the size of a pack of cigarettes, held on by a bolt at each end to a flat surface - there aren't many places it can hide!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Bike used to run well. I had some other posts but here is where I am I'm my constant rebuild here.

Gas poured out of carb, rebuilt it and we seem to be all good there.
The positive plug that should be going to my voes vacuum switch has never been plugged in as long as I owned it. Before the carb rebuild it worked like a champ.

Now the engine cuts out while riding and not under a lot of throttle. It will actually just shut off while idling also.

And my battery still doesn't charge which I can't figure if it's regulator or stator but I have done the stator test and it cranks AC

Any other thoughts? Or helps? Do you think the vacuum switch is that big a deal?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get the charging issue fixed first as it can cause the other issue...have you tested the battery to see if it will keep/hold a charge...next check the stator, there are guidlines on how to do that in the hd repair manual...after that check the regulator ...my guess is it is either the battery or the regulator..

Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrfikser
I would get the charging issue fixed first as it can cause the other issue...have you tested the battery to see if it will keep/hold a charge...next check the stator, there are guidlines on how to do that in the hd repair manual...after that check the regulator ...my guess is it is either the battery or the regulator..

Going to check regulator tonight. Battery is brand spanking new so not that.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Regulator seems to pass the test. Replacing it anyways but now I'm thinking not charging and all else considered maybe my circuit breaker is bad so I'm looking to figure out how to check that out. One of these days I will get to ride this bike I have pretty much completely rebuilt.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SportsterSnow
Going to check regulator tonight. Battery is brand spanking new so not that.
If you haven't done so, charge the battery with a proper battery charger off the bike. New ones may claim to be 'fully charged', but they ain't!

As for your charging system there are two Stickies in the Tech Electrical section that will guide you through a proper check, which should identify if you have a problem and what it is. Don't just replace stuff without checking!

Quick Reply: Vacuum switch