Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BDav's Nightster Hardtail Build Take 2

Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BDav's Nightster Hardtail Build Take 2

So I posted that I was doing a rebuild in the old thread, but I've decided to just start a new one up.

Basically we have a 2008 XL1200N, the Nightster. We decided riding stock sucked so we bought a weld on hardtail and did it up and this is what we got

[IMG][/IMG]

Somewhere along the line we screwed up some measuring and this rear end is tweaked. Chain binds up, things don't want to mount right. We've rode it. It rides. It isn't ideal and that's bullshit. So after a long time of being parked and paying off some bills to have money for a re-build, were at the re-build. The way we wanted it the first time, on a new complete frame.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:53 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

I ordered a new frame from Led Sled, along with a ton of new parts from them and other sources. It's been a few months, but we finally got the parts in and started on the build this week.

So here's our new Led Sled frame, 2up 2out.

[IMG][/IMG]

These mounts get rid of the rubber, which is a major plus.

[IMG][/IMG]

Getting ready to paint.

[IMG][/IMG]

primer

[IMG][/IMG]

Ford black to match my Stroker

[IMG][/IMG]

Flake it

[IMG][/IMG]

Bolt on the neck badge

[IMG][/IMG]

....and advertise a little more...

[IMG][/IMG]

...and were done with paint.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

If anyone is curious...

The frame was de-greased and made rust free, then washed.

I did 5 coats of gray primer, followed by 5 coats of Ford Black, followed by 5 coats of Ford Black with some metal flake, followed by 2 coats of textured Ford Black on the bottom of the frame and the back of the seat tube to help protect these areas from road debris, and then followed by 5 coats of gloss clear.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:07 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

So we tore down the "old bike" except for the motor, because at this point it was getting late and we were tired. Once all the pretty stuff was removed we realized how much we truly hated this weld on hardtail and the stock sportster frame. Not knocking anyone who likes either, we just don't.

[IMG][/IMG]

After a day of our real job and some sleep, we got in and pulled the motor. Which is a bitch.

[IMG][/IMG]

I got bored and just wanted to see how the rear wheel looks on the bike. We had to order a new race set for the head bearings and a new set of brake pads so we weren't rushing on anything. I did go ahead and weld on the seat mounts and mount the seat pan though.

[IMG][/IMG]

We left the motor right where we pulled it and just moved the new frame to it. The engine lift isn't with us right now so we just had to strong arm this thing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Wrenching

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is where we are now. Still waiting on those parts we ordered. Decided mounting the engine was a good stopping point.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you rattle can the frame? Seems like powder coating would have been money well spent. What happened to the original hardtail? Was it a measurement problem or tweaked from the heat of welding? Sounds like a fun project. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM
bdavis310
Cruiser

Didn't rattle can it. I'm not a fan of that, I just don't have a place set up where I live now to do my painting and coating like I used to. Used Ford Black, code M6373, same as what my Powerstroke is painted in; I just added a different metal flake than what they mixed in on my truck....which I have no idea what they mixed in on my truck.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm not sure if we measured wrong, slipped a clamp, or if the heat got it, but something wasn't right. More than likely we could have fixed it, it was just a good excuse for me to go ahead and do a complete frame.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting project. Are you going with a chain or belt drive, as I see you had a chain?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Why do people go out of yhere way to make their bike uncomfortable? Low suspension/no suspension, springer seats. Purposely frame mounting.... goofy cafe/bobbering.... making the bike only tolerable for very short amount of time...

Then doing crap like adding chain drives.... why? Who gonna fix it if you go out on the road. Where are repair parts gonna come from?

Im not hatinf... I just dont understand it. Help me get it. Seems really Łecking stupid. Like a guy on a hardtail just gets to ride around in some goofy outfit with a goofy tshirt and tattoos claiming to be hardcore and saying ridiculous stuff like "official", "old school", and "Val Kilmer".

Last edited by cvaria; 06-29-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because they want to

Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost
Because they want to
But WHY? *** Why?***

Dont say more stupid stuff back I'm asking for a legit reason to do this to a perfectly good bike. Does it improve the bike some how?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BDav's Nightster Hardtail Build Take 2