Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary/Trans and Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 04:04 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by HighestHD883
I just asked the guy at HD and he said no, you need gear oil - who's lying to me?

either way, I grabbed a Liter of Formula + and a new derby cover gasket.
Hmm .. it says on the Amsoil can that it can be used for Primary/tranny and engine???

And people at Amsoil invented synthetic oil for internal combustion engines several decades ago so I am kinda leaning towards their suggestion.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by HighestHD883
I just asked the guy at HD and he said no, you need gear oil - who's lying to me?

either way, I grabbed a Liter of Formula + and a new derby cover gasket.
Hmm .. it says on the Amsoil can that it can be used for Primary/tranny and engine???

And people at Amsoil invented synthetic oil for internal combustion engines several decades ago so I am kinda leaning towards their suggestion.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawyer Rob
First of all, there's no problem at all using the HD engine oil in the primary... The reason I bought HD synthetic instead of some other is, you only use ONE qt., and you don't change it that often...

HD says you can use it, my manual says so, it says so on the bottles and I have mechanic friends that ride Harleys, (a lot) that have been using it for years...

I like synthetic oil, and to me, the cost is really is no big deal, at one qt. every 8 to 10k miles!

SR
Yes, you CAN use Motor Oil in the primary/tranny, CAN being the operative word. For several years, after HD Sport-Trans fluid (Gear Oil) was discontinued, and before HD's Formula+ came out, the MoCo recommended Motor Oil in the primary/tranny.

However, the MoCo currently recommends Formula+ (Gear Oil) for the primary/tranny, while Motor Oil is listed as acceptable. Maybe they learned something?

If you wouldn't think of putting Gear Oil in the motor, why is using Motor Oil in the Gearbox such a great idea?

Old 07-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Yes, you CAN use Motor Oil in the primary/tranny, CAN being the operative word. For several years, after HD Sport-Trans fluid (Gear Oil) was discontinued, and before HD's Formula+ came out, the MoCo recommended Motor Oil in the primary/tranny.

However, the MoCo currently recommends Formula+ (Gear Oil) for the primary/tranny, while Motor Oil is listed as acceptable. Maybe they learned something?

If you wouldn't think of putting Gear Oil in the motor, why is using Motor Oil in the Gearbox such a great idea?
Sounds good, if you are dumping regular ole PCMO in there, then what you said is so. Car oils do not carry the JASO MA/MA2 spec like the oils these people are talking about do. If what you said was true then what would MC riders do about shared sump oil systems? What a dilema! Should they run motor oil because its good for the motor? Or run a gear lube for the wet clutch and trans? Would they be best off going with gear lube then? Two outa 3 aint bad...... Oh wait, theres an oil spec called JASO MA2. Good luck finding any oil made for motorcycles without the spec. Same reason you run your car oil, no shared sump.

Running a motor oil of JASO MA(2) spec in the primary is perfectly fine, or else shared sump systems would be in big trouble if what you said was true. Stop being so dramatic, and forget about your oh this is what I see when you quote your ignore screen shot. I know you read it.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

. For several years, after HD Sport-Trans fluid (Gear Oil) was discontinued, and before HD's Formula+ came out, the MoCo recommended Motor Oil in the primary/tranny.
A few years ago, I was in a dealership that was clearing out their Sport-Trans because they "had" to use Formula+.
They were selling a gallon for $7.
Box under the display had 12 qts. in a case. $7

Managed to buy 3 gallons and one case for $28.
When checking out, they had another case of 12 if I wanted it.
When they put it on the counter, said it was a free-bee.
Not bad....
36 qt. containers and 3 gallon containers for $28.
What a sweet deal!
If I change every 2,500 miles, I can go about 100,000 miles!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Sawyer Rob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's very easy to answer...

It's obvious that the MOTOR requires higher spec oil than the PRIMARY, so you CAN use the MOTOR oil in either, but NOT the other way around...

AND, none of my mechanic Harley riders have had any problems from using Harley motor oil in their primary's, and yes I did ask..

IF it was a no no, I'm positive Harley would take it off the cans and say exactly that, in their manuals!

SR

Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM
cHarley
Club Member

That's very easy to answer...

It's obvious that the MOTOR requires higher spec oil than the PRIMARY, so you CAN use the MOTOR oil in either, but NOT the other way around...

AND, none of my mechanic Harley riders have had any problems from using Harley motor oil in their primary's, and yes I did ask..

IF it was a no no, I'm positive Harley would take it off the cans and say exactly that, in their manuals!

SR
OK, so you don't really know much about oils. Carry on..........

Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Sawyer Rob
Advanced

I wondered what kind of a silly answer you would come up with to attempt to make your argument AT LEAST sound good?

To be honest, I thought you would "at least" try to come up with something useful...but nada....

SR

Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM
cHarley
Club Member

I wondered what kind of a silly answer you would come up with to attempt to make your argument AT LEAST sound good?

To be honest, I thought you would "at least" try to come up with something useful...but nada....

SR
The technical differences between Motor oil and Gear oil, along with the reasons for choosing one over the other, have been covered here ad nauseam. In fact, there's a whole Oil Section here on the forum dedicated to the topic. I have no intention of explaining it again (for probably the 100th time) just for you.

Use wtf you want, it's your ride.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Sawyer Rob
Advanced

The technical differences between Motor oil and Gear oil, along with the reasons for choosing one over the other, have been covered here ad nauseam. In fact, there's a whole Oil Section here on the forum dedicated to the topic. I have no intention of explaining it again (for probably the 100th time) just for you.

Use wtf you want, it's your ride.

There ya go... Good answer and it makes my point. The gear oil is not rated to go into the motor, so there lies the answer to your original question...just as I said in my answer to it.

Thanks for the answer...

SR

Last edited by Sawyer Rob; 07-13-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Primary/Trans and Engine Oil