Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Used Bike Markup Is Double

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbullet223
I hate new car dealers, I wanted t buy a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE. I was trading in my 2012 Honda accord and it was half way paid off. well, I was told my monthly payments would be 412.37 ( and that was with me putting 4000.00 down! ) well I ended up walking out the door. over the next 3 days I got about 4 calls with lower payments. Now you tell me how much the markup is on new cars. My first payment would have been 412.37 a month and in 3 days they got it to 303.92 a month. that was acceptable to me and I drove it home that night. This past Friday night I went to my local Harley dealer and was thinking about a new bike. I have never owned a Harley before so me and my wife was looking around and the salesman we dealt with seem vary honest. I was looking at sportsters 1200 well. the prices were reasonable. Then he told me about a 2014 XL1200C that has been at the dealer for 6 months and they had no one look at it. He was guessing it was the color (Orange Candy) It had aluminum wheels, nice fat front and rear tires and forward controls already on it. he said the price tag was 11249.00 but the dealer wanted it gone during the hot Harley night sale. I ask how low would they bring it down to. he went and talked to his manager came out and said 9,999.00. I said lets do the paperwork. the sale that was going on was 0 down and 2.99% financing. Well we were about 14 points to low on our credit score for the 2.99 but we did get a 3.99 so that was not bad. And we did not have to put any money down but still wrote them a check for 2000.00 and got a nice low monthly payment. this is my first Harley and my first brand new bike. why cant car dealers be this honest and up front? Dave
I hate buying cars, too. Never met an honest car salesman. Regarding your above experience with the car. Payments don't tell the whole story. How much did you pay for the car? When my wife and I went to purchase our current Jeep Patriot for her, the salesman gave us a price and a payment. We asked if he could do better. He came back with a lower monthly payment, but had increased the price of the car and extended the load from 60 to 72 months! So, payments really don't mean much when comparing "deals".

Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

quite the mark up there haha! i paid 6,700 for my '10 with 4100 miles on it!!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:28 PM
roncgizmo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbullet223
I hate new car dealers, I wanted t buy a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE. I was trading in my 2012 Honda accord and it was half way paid off. well, I was told my monthly payments would be 412.37 ( and that was with me putting 4000.00 down! ) well I ended up walking out the door. over the next 3 days I got about 4 calls with lower payments. Now you tell me how much the markup is on new cars. My first payment would have been 412.37 a month and in 3 days they got it to 303.92 a month. that was acceptable to me and I drove it home that night. This past Friday night I went to my local Harley dealer and was thinking about a new bike. I have never owned a Harley before so me and my wife was looking around and the salesman we dealt with seem vary honest. I was looking at sportsters 1200 well. the prices were reasonable. Then he told me about a 2014 XL1200C that has been at the dealer for 6 months and they had no one look at it. He was guessing it was the color (Orange Candy) It had aluminum wheels, nice fat front and rear tires and forward controls already on it. he said the price tag was 11249.00 but the dealer wanted it gone during the hot Harley night sale. I ask how low would they bring it down to. he went and talked to his manager came out and said 9,999.00. I said lets do the paperwork. the sale that was going on was 0 down and 2.99% financing. Well we were about 14 points to low on our credit score for the 2.99 but we did get a 3.99 so that was not bad. And we did not have to put any money down but still wrote them a check for 2000.00 and got a nice low monthly payment. this is my first Harley and my first brand new bike. why cant car dealers be this honest and up front? Dave
Most and I do mean most buyers play games no matter what.. I sold cars for a few years in FL.. The more honest I tried to be the less a buyer would bite..

Old 07-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Damn double post

Last edited by Guzzi; 07-17-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrenchy
quite the mark up there haha! i paid 6,700 for my '10 with 4100 miles on it!!
I only paid $3500 for it back in early March. They gave me that and a few $$ more in trade. Still doubling up is insane.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:22 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

We bought a used conversion van years ago, drove it home on sat night. We traded in a turd the same dealer burned my wife with earlier. I got a call on Monday saying they couldn't loan that many months used. I said good , I'll be over and get our old one, there are too many things wrong with this one.(they had their super inspection and warranty, they done nothing ...).I was sure they already sent that turd downtown or to auction. They back tracked and wanted to work it out. Their third call got the months down and same payment and they were to fix everything. When I resigned the papers the difference was the interest rate, I saved over $12,000.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Rebel55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My worst experience wasn't necessarily with the dealer. When my wife and I divorced, I got the 2001 Jeep Cherokee in the divorce. Since it was leased, I had to get the lease out of her name and into mine, which is considered "early termination" of the lease. It cost me a couple thousand in early termination fees, excess mileage, and other fees. At least I got screwed once out of that marriage!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Default My 02

* The 883 is priced ridiculously high. Its pass the glue bag high... A dealer can always come down but they cant go up in price. Its common to mark something "screaming retail" for x-period and then reduce the price to normal mark.

* With that said...
- Theres an impression that a dealer is not supposed to make money off you.. They do, they will, it what they do to pay the bills and put food on the table.
- AS LONG AS YOU were treated with respect and were given a fair deal, theres no more commentary. Dont like it? Leave... really simple....

Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

The dealer I traded my into.for my dyna is only marking it up $700 from what I got for trade. Gave me what I paid for it a year ago and I just lost on all the work and accessories that's in it. They are asking what I would have for it. I got my 2012 Dyna Wide with 800 miles on it otd for 14300 with over 1k in parts to put on it. Very happy with my dealer.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 PM
maverickwolfe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From working in the used car business, the general rule is double what you have in the vehicle plus $1000 dollars of room to play.

Quick Reply: Dealer Used Bike Markup Is Double