Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superships Vigilante VS Fuelmoto Micro EFI

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM
RiverSouth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Superships Vigilante VS Fuelmoto Micro EFI

Would like to hear some inputs from users with experience and knowledge of these two tuners.

I have installed slip ons and performance a/c and that's it, no other upgrades needed, ever.

Please no PV recommendations or anything over $200. Doesn't worth it to me.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

I have no experience with the Micro, though it looked appealing when I researched.

I ended up going with the Vigilante. My bike was stock with about 7500 miles on it when I got the tuner. I flashed an improved stock tune onto the bike with the Vigilante and it immediately ran smoother, less surging and with more roll on power. For that alone I thought it was worth it. I ran it a little over 1,000 miles with that tune and it ran great, a huge improvement over stock.

Last week I put on slipons and an A/C. I flashed another tune onto the bike and it runs perfect. No decal pop, smooth throughout all rpm ranges, noticeable difference in power at the upper rpm ranges.

After doing research for a year before deciding, I went with the Vigilante because a) it's flash and go (literally takes like 2 minutes and my 11 year old could do it), nothing stays on the bike; and b) I got it with the forum discount for $150. That's not much more than XIEDs and I figure if I didn't like it I could sell it and I'm not out much if anything to try it.

I have nothing to compare it to. But my logic was, guys do dealer flashes with stage 1 upgrades all the time. Sometimes they work great, othertimes not so great. But the dealer flashes are EPA compliant. And ONE dealer flash would cost more than the Vigilante did. For me, it rocks, I think I made the right choice.

A few more notes-it acts as a code reader, which is nice if you ever need that, and Superchips is always coming out with new tunes. You can update your tuner over the internet really easy. Some guys have had issues with the tuner. In every case I've found, it's the big twin guys, and the tuner caused problems with their cruise control not working or their blinkers not self-cancelling, or problems getting certain tunes to run because of guys de-catting their exhaust. I have found zero reports of sporty guys having problems with the tuner.

Is it better than the Micro? I don't know. Honestly you probably couldn't go wrong with either one if all you want is to tune once for slipons and an a/c.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^^ Good info..so, the difference between vigilante and Povervision is that in the former you would flash the ecm with a file, while on PV you can change each of the parameters in real time, like the idle speed for example, as well as loading a whole set of parameters as a file. Right?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,387 Likes on 516 Posts

I have the FuelMoto. What I like is that it eliminates the O2 sensors. yes, you do need to wire it in and leave it mounted but it fits nicely behind the battery box. I also like the fact that you can alter the tune yourself Or on a dyno with a laptop and alter each cyl independantly. I have had great luck with mine.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:I have installed slip ons and performance a/c and that's it, no other upgrades needed, ever.

Please no PV recommendations or anything over $200. Doesn't worth it to *me
Originally Posted by RiverSouth
...I have installed slip ons and performance a/c and that's it, no other upgrades needed, *ever.

*Never say never!!

If you trully believe that spending over $200 on a fuel management system or the PV tuner in particular isn't "...worth it" then I suggest you please do yourself a favor and spend some time getting educated in regards to what the $$ above your cash limit buys and affords you.

But if you're absolutely adamant on spending as little $$ as possible, then I have an idea for you ...how 'bout you forget entirely about either the Vigilante or Micro EFI and go the least expensive route of them all; XiED's. Lots of people run them and are quite happy with their $100 investment in a pair of $3.00 resistors, $3.00 in wire, $6.00 in electrical connectors, and $.50 in shrink tubing, which leaves them free to spend their hard earned cash on other more important stuff, like a Hello Kitty sticker covered Otter Box® case for their iPhone!

=8^)

Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

DAYAM screwy website!!

=8^)

Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 AM
RiverSouth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Quote:I have installed slip ons and performance a/c and that's it, no other upgrades needed, ever.

Please no PV recommendations or anything over $200. Doesn't worth it to *me
...I have installed slip ons and performance a/c and that's it, no other upgrades needed, *ever.

*Never say never!!

If you trully believe that spending over $200 on a fuel management system or the PV tuner in particular isn't "...worth it" then I suggest you please do yourself a favor and spend some time getting educated in regards to what the $$ above your cash limit buys and affords you.

But if you're absolutely adamant on spending as little $$ as possible, then I have an idea for you ...how 'bout you forget entirely about either the Vigilante or Micro EFI and go the least expensive route of them all; XiED's. Lots of people run them and are quite happy with their $100 investment in a pair of $3.00 resistors, $3.00 in wire, $6.00 in electrical connectors, and $.50 in shrink tubing, which leaves them free to spend their hard earned cash on other more important stuff, like a Hello Kitty sticker covered Otter Box® case for their iPhone!

=8^)
Hey Drew,

I actually done some homework, I know how fabulous PV is, all it's capabilities and features and autotune and all that. But I know I am not going to mess with engine hardware, I just dont need to squeeze more hp out of it. Half of the reason I am putting on the ac is actually for the looks, I dont need the extra power. I dont go to dyno and measure my output and run here and post it with numbers and fancy charts. I am just not into it.

The XIED resistors are already on, and I paid $55 for them. I can resell the $3 resistors for as much.
See Drew, people always want more even though they dont need it. I am pretty sure all those people who own PV dont use it to its max capabilities. It's just like computers. They sell you an Intel Core i7 for $300 more you will never "need" to run your measly Microsoft word or post on these boards or edit your photos in photoshop.
Plus I can resell the fuelmoto and get my money back.
I know what I need and what I dont buddy. I prefer to spend the money on other upgrades than on a fancy LCD. It looks cool though.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior

Hey Drew,

I actually done some homework, I know how fabulous PV is, all it's capabilities and features and autotune and all that. But I know I am not going to mess with engine hardware, I just dont need to squeeze more hp out of it. Half of the reason I am putting on the ac is actually for the looks, I dont need the extra power. I dont go to dyno and measure my output and run here and post it with numbers and fancy charts. I am just not into it.

The XIED resistors are already on, and I paid $55 for them. I can resell the $3 resistors for as much.
See Drew, people always want more even though they dont need it. I am pretty sure all those people who own PV dont use it to its max capabilities. It's just like computers. They sell you an Intel Core i7 for $300 more you will never "need" to run your measly Microsoft word or post on these boards or edit your photos in photoshop.
Plus I can resell the fuelmoto and get my money back.
I know what I need and what I dont buddy. I prefer to spend the money on other upgrades than on a fancy LCD. It looks cool though.
Gotcha.

Well, I gotta' be honest...my PV tuner didn't turn my Sportster into a beam of light; it's not about magically adding gobbs of HP, it's about easily making it run as best as it can with what it's got to work with! Plus, I have the ability to, without help from any outside source [dyno & tech time], make changes should I one day wish to go in another direction with it. That's called foresight, or vision.

If anybody knows about computing, I do. My first computer was a Ti99/4a I purchased in 1980...it had a whopping 16k of memory, with no floppy or HD, a RF modulator to attach a TV to it for a display, a "data" cassette tape recorder for saving and retrieving data on standard audio cassette tapes, and it utilized the BASIC programming language which I used to program animated "sprites" to make eye candy. Truth be told, in regards to processors, the software engineers of the day never even managed to squeeze the full potenial out of the lowly 80286 processor, because the '386 was ready for the die.

Push the clock forward a bit; when the '486 came out I became a registered AutoDesk user with the purchase of AutoDesk 3DStudio v.1x [DOS version, on fourteen [14] 3½" floppies, w/hardware key], and it cost me $2,995 for a single user license. At the time, the '486 was king until the Pentium series came out. With as much memory and HD I could afford, plus the latest and greatest video cards and 3rd party provided true color drivers emulating Targa24bit video modes offering an unheard of 16.7 million collors at 1024x768 resolution [that I got off of the infant internet, before the advent of ANY GUI's [as in text only]], via a blazing speed 56k baud modem using a dial-up connection to minicomputers using Unix at Stony Brook University along with programs such as "Lynx," "Veronica," and "Archie," rendering true color images sometimes took 2 days to compete, depending on the complexity of my models/wireframes! I ran other ray tracing programs which took even more time to render. Talk about the tongues hanging out of my computer cases...

But yes, todays pc users hardly even make their pc's yawn because all they do is read e-mails, surf pr0n, and order stuff on Amazon. And for most people that's ok to be without the latest and greatest CPU because they simpy don't need it or they'd never even come close to operating it at it's full potential. But people's needs DO change...someday they just might need to crunch some numbers or find themselves doing high end video or rendering.

We may make fun of "preppers" and those who've stocked up on firearms, ammunition, fuel, generators, food and water, but those thoughts will all change when all of a sudden the $hit hits the fan and everyone needs to scramble for dear life. And just because I don't have to protect my belongings and family from packs of zombies, radicals and jack booted thugs TODAY, I'd rather be prepared by being one of those with the guns and ammo, because that WILL be the new currency when the stock market crashes and the needy and those who never prepared will come through the neighborhoods like wild packs of dogs for my belongings AND yours...and that's when my forethought will pay off, with a number of carefully placed shots to the head, and all the liberals who voted to take our guns away will be the same limp wristed wimps who'll be hiding behind me expecting some kind of handout...all their dollars and gold bullion will be worthless and my response will be...beat it!!

Anyway, I don't mean to come across like a outspoken jerk, but I just do, LOL!!! Your decisions are yours to make; I just like to offer up other views for people to contemplate.

=8^)

Old 07-25-2014, 04:48 PM
weaverkb
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have the Vigilante and it works for me. I'm not into wringing the most performance out of my bike, it's not a sports bike and I won't be doing any track days or racing with it. I can't see even doing impromtu boulevard "races". Even from the factory the bike already runs harder and handles better than I am willing to take it. I just want to have a smooth running bike. I want to do some upgrades in the future other than my pipes but nothing internal to the bike. I like the ease of dropping in a canned tune for the parts that I put on. I have a limited budget but if I were looking for the max in performance I would have gone with the PV. I don't ride my bike hard and only cruise with it. The Vigilante has more capability than I will most likely ever need.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 AM
South JerseyJoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PV would definitely be my first choice, but at 5 bills it can wait since I got the superchips tuner after seeing the 50% off deal. $160 with shipping. Had been using the xieds which I was happy with, but wanted to try this out. 2012 C with DK 587 ac and Rush baloney slip ons with 1.75 baffles. Bike is smoother running with more power and I actually get better gas mileage with the canned tune vs the xieds. Problem now is making sure you have plenty of open road in front of you as you open up that throttle ! Yes, I'm satisfied with this tuner for the $ spent, but would have bought PV if not for the 50% off deal.