Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front drive sprocket help needed please

Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 PM
ClodeV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drive sprocket help needed please

I have a 2000 XL1200 sporty that i replaced the front drive sprocket with a 32 tooth 4 months ago. I have approx 2800 miles on it. I had to pull the pulley cover off to polish it (long story that involved me being a dumb a$$) when i pulled it off here is what i found in the pics below.locking nut was removed prior to pics
The dust cover to the shaft came off some time ago and has been rubbing on the front sprocket as you can see. My question is what is up with the bearing in the shaft? i have never taken the dust cover/seal off so i'm a bit perplexed does this look right? The bearing seams to be way to forward but i'm not sure.

Anyone have experience with this and yes i have a book but need someone to tell me what i'm seeing is an issue or to be concerned about including the dust cover/seal. Did i over tighten it when i installed it?

Side question why on earth have a bearing so far out on the shaft?

Attached Thumbnails Front drive sprocket help needed please-img_2940.jpg   Front drive sprocket help needed please-img_2941.jpg   Front drive sprocket help needed please-img_2942.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

The bearing is the outer main drive gear needle bearing. It is pressed in to the main drive gear 0.285 to 0.315 inches. Yours appears to have walked out possibly. You will need to replace it if it is not at the proper depth.

The reason it is there is to support the outer main shaft bearing surface (there is also an inner needle bearing in the main drive gear). It provides the support on the right side of the shaft while the trapdoor provides the left side.

When the bearing walked out, it likely pushed the seal out as well.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 07-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

Thanks scuba:
Is it possible to tap it back in carefully? I found the seal in the book after i looked in the trans section. My thought was to use a socket and tap it in carefully and install a new seal. Would my belt being to tight have caused this to walkout?
If i put in a new one it means i would have to pull the whole trans out to get to it correct?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Honestly, the fact that it is not where it should be means something is wrong. Pressing it back in is like playing with fire. It might work; it might not.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

ya i know. I taped it back in and put the seal back. i will ride it for a bit and watch to see what it looks like in a few weeks. Am i right that i would have to remove the whole trans to get to it and replace the bearings?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, trans would need to come out. Hopefully the bike continues to run well.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM
ClodeV
Tourer

Scuba what do you think would cause this to happen? In my estimation I could possibly have some parts worn out inside the case causing it to move a little. the other possibility is i didn't tighten the new drive on tight enough when i installed it causeing it to move around? your thoughts. All in all i know ill be taking it apart this fall or sooner to make it right since i'll be doing a 6000 mile trip next summer.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Not really sure other than the bearing being loose.

If I had to hazard a guess (and this is just that), my choice would be that the bearing spun. Once it has spun, the bearing will no longer be in a tight press fit and can walk its way out under the forces transmitted through the mainshaft.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

Ya, i don't want to agree with you but if I'm wrong it can be a whole lot more expesive to fix when it pukes on me. you won't have a clutch tool i could use would you? I'd pay for the frieght back and forth and throw in some really good venison jerky as rental fee.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ClodeV
Ya, i don't want to agree with you but if I'm wrong it can be a whole lot more expesive to fix when it pukes on me. you won't have a clutch tool i could use would you? I'd pay for the frieght back and forth and throw in some really good venison jerky as rental fee.
PM sent about tool.

I don't want to scare you in to doing more work if you're okay with tapping it back in. I know plenty of people have done cheap fixes that I wouldn't do and continue to ride just fine. To each their own I guess. It is just what I would do if it were my own/customer's bike. Stupid engineer in me is always over thinking things...haha.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 07-23-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front drive sprocket help needed please