Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US Saddlebags on a 1200C?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:55 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Question US Saddlebags on a 1200C?

Just recently got my 2011 1200C and loving it. I moved up from a Honda Shadow 750 ACE. Got a question about putting my current bags on the Sporty.

I have a nice pair of XL US Saddlebags. They are great bags and fit well on the ACE. I know I can relocate the taillights and mount them my 1200C, if I purchase the appropriate bracket ($149). I figure by the time its all done, I will spend around $250-$300 for bracket and relocation kit. Or, I could just get a set of throw over bags and call it a day.

My biggest concern, however, with the swing arm bag I installed. Anyone have any experience installing both saddle bags and a swing arm bag? (I'm thinking throw overs might work better in this application.)

I bought the swing arm bag because I needed a place for those little items and the Sporty doesn't offer many options. The standard tool bag doesn't really work due to the "fat" riser cover and the reversed forks on the HD.

I use my bike as my primary vehicle unless it is raining or I have to get something that is just too big for the bike. My other thought was a larger sissy bar bag similar to the HD touring bag -- http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/touring-bag.

Thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Luke Funk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 1200C with throw overs with the saddlebag bar kit from HD installed. Install was easy with bike jack and you have to drop the shocks to get bolts in from the inside out. I already had the turn signals moved... make sure wiring is routed well away from tire. Throw overs look like I might not have needed to move the turn signals after I got them installed. I was also thinking about putting swing arm bags on as well. Don't know how that would look but I'm willing to see how it would. Let us know how that turns out.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke Funk
I have an 04 1200C with throw overs with the saddlebag bar kit from HD installed. Install was easy with bike jack and you have to drop the shocks to get bolts in from the inside out. I already had the turn signals moved... make sure wiring is routed well away from tire. Throw overs look like I might not have needed to move the turn signals after I got them installed. I was also thinking about putting swing arm bags on as well. Don't know how that would look but I'm willing to see how it would. Let us know how that turns out.
I think I am going to sell the bags I have and just go with luggage I can attach to my rack/backrest when I need it. The swing arm bag holds my daily stuff. I don't really want a tourer, yet. When I do, I like the looks of the HD hard bag. My dealer has a few Sportsters set up with bags and they look good. Price to outrageous, but the look is good.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Luke Funk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyDoug
I think I am going to sell the bags I have and just go with luggage I can attach to my rack/backrest when I need it. The swing arm bag holds my daily stuff. I don't really want a tourer, yet. When I do, I like the looks of the HD hard bag. My dealer has a few Sportsters set up with bags and they look good. Price to outrageous, but the look is good.
I love the look of swing arm bags but they just don't hold a 12 pack like a saddlebag does!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 279 Posts

I have throw ever saddle bags that you can detach and carry like luggage if needed. They are ok but if I keep the Sporty for any length of time I am leaning toward putting hard bags on, that way I can lock them.