Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about my bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can't say i've ever been over 80 on my bike. even though the toll road speed limit is 85 here i wasn't going to risk hitting the pavement at that speed. you can't predict a blowout or other mechanical failure.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Krieg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 981200sporty
In all honesty I dont always ride fast and most times I dont. Most of the people I have raced have been in the time span of 4 years. Mainly go to work and back home I have a daughter that is the number one thing in my life and I want to see her everyday as she grows up. I wear a full leather and helmet(even though Michigan doesn't have a helmet law anymore) with high ankle boots and gloves. Also added on red LED lights not only because I like the way it looks but because it makes it very visiable at night. So please dont look at me at some young idiot that races everyone. I am a respectful rider I even use hand signals, but come on I'm sure all of you have gone fast once before and it feels good you have to admit it.
Think of your daughter EVERY time you mount your bike. Think of her WITHOUT her Dad. Then... ride accordingly.

Ride safely. Ride like EVERYONE else is trying to KILL you... because they are.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who doesn't open their bike up on the highway from time to time if there arent any other cars around? I personally enjoy speed but its very clear how bad things can go in an instant at any speed let alone 100+. I live near the Space Coast Harley dealership in Florida so we have a fair amount of baggers and dynas rolling around here. Honestly I think there are 3 or 4 Irons in town and I have never seen another 48 on the road aside from mine. Noone really tries to rev at me or anything like that but my 48 looks pretty mean compared to the usual flying apes around here.

Honestly I think it would be kind of funny if someone did I would like to see how we both launched and the real speed of my stock 48 compared to another rider but luckily? it doesn't seem like most of the Harley riders around here are pansys. A few biker bars near the river typically gets the old guys out rolling over on their highway sofas, and good for them honestly enjoy riding at any regardless of what it is. But our bikes are meant to be ridden even if they aren't supermoto gp bikes riding on super flat curvy tracks, open it up from time to time 100+ can be fun if no one is near you and you have good eye sight, just tuck into that tank!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

Man. All this speed talk. I get sketchy over 90 (should probably identify that ninety is where my bike settles in when I quit looking at the Speedo, I typically go 80 unless it's dark, then 70). Slight imperfections in the road bother me over that. I laid it down yesterday going 35 in a stopping maneuver. I'm calling it my wake up call. I'm 24, I got lucky yesterday and screwed up my arm and bike. I was shaken up, and still am, hopefully Will be. Now that $200 summer protection jacket is looking pretty cheap too!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
Man. All this speed talk. I get sketchy over 90 (should probably identify that ninety is where my bike settles in when I quit looking at the Speedo, I typically go 80 unless it's dark, then 70). Slight imperfections in the road bother me over that. I laid it down yesterday going 35 in a stopping maneuver. I'm calling it my wake up call. I'm 24, I got lucky yesterday and screwed up my arm and bike. I was shaken up, and still am, hopefully Will be. Now that $200 summer protection jacket is looking pretty cheap too!
That sucks big time dude! Hopefully you had a regular jacket and jeans on when you went down? Can be super scary but they say its just a matter of when you go down not if you go down. Glad you turned out ok though, just take your time when you get back on and slowly work away your "yips." Speeds fun but can be pretty damn scary, but so can riding a 70 mph wheeled vehicle with no protection aside from a helmet and a piece of leather between your back and concrete!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

I know man. It sucked, but I figured it would happen eventually. Glad it did when it did, could have been worse!
Unfortunately I just had on a work shirt. Well and pants. Haha!

Just gotta get back on abd take her way and quit getting into a hurry to get nowhere.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM
981200sporty
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1
That sucks big time dude! Hopefully you had a regular jacket and jeans on when you went down? Can be super scary but they say its just a matter of when you go down not if you go down. Glad you turned out ok though, just take your time when you get back on and slowly work away your "yips." Speeds fun but can be pretty damn scary, but so can riding a 70 mph wheeled vehicle with no protection aside from a helmet and a piece of leather between your back and concrete!

Good thing you didn't get injured worse than that. I try to be safe every time I can. I have to being in Michigan I don't know if any of you have ever rode in that state. I live in the worst part of it. I live in the southeast side close to Detroit. Horrible drivers around here. When i ride to just have fun I go out west to avoid that traffic. Like said before its fun to open it up and I don't do it every time i ride. The guys on the bikes up here think they are top gun Billy bada$$ but they wont try to fight. There way of showing off being tough is having a faster bike (I don't know why) But all that aside I hope everyone is safe and more people realize there are motorcycles out there and keep an eye out for them

Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Slow speed doesn't kill, but can hurt a lot!

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
Man. I laid it down yesterday going 35 in a stopping maneuver. I'm calling it my wake up call. I'm 24, I got lucky yesterday and screwed up my arm and bike. I was shaken up, and still am, hopefully Will be. Now that $200 summer protection jacket is looking pretty cheap too!
In 50 years on 2 wheels, I have never had a high speed accident, have laid it down numerous times (especially in my Cafe' racer days) but only at slow speeds, usually entering a corner and hitting oil, sand, gravel or water on the apex of a corner. Seems my concentration was at a peak at high speed, but lax on the slow corners. Have had flats front and rear at highway speeds and other than having to change my underwear, have been able to keep the rubber side down.
Have been silly enough to do 140 on a Kawasaki H1 and have run several Harleys past 120, all without incident. Have given up riding after a recent laydown at 35 mph on my chopper and lost a lot of skin on hands, arms, knees and ankles as I skidded and rolled on the offending gravel.
Seeing my OL's face when she saw me on the blood soaked guerny convinced me to not let this happen again.
As with teenage girls, it's best to wear all the protection you can afford.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

You seem younger than you are by reading your posts. That said, the BT bikes have more lungs than a Sporty. Off the line or a downshift from about 50 will get most Stage 1 1200 Sportsters to pull ahead of the big bikes. But after they wind up they usually have the lungs the Sportsters don't.

Technically, all else being equal, the 96" and 103" bikes should have a higher top speed than a 1200 Sportster with a Stage 1. The displacement and taller gearing should see to that.

Off the line and 50-70 passing the Sportster should have the edge on a bone stock 96". The 103" with a Stage one in a Dyna would give a Sportster a run for it's money all day.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 328 Posts

Don't let these guys scare you man, ride it like you stole it. It's your bike and your conscience. I'll get flamed for it but after reading these posts I'm kinda disappointed. See the name on the side of your bike SPORTster? Not CRAWLster or MOSEYster or LIMPster right? Do wheelies, burnouts, skid up to stop lights, rev at hot chicks, side step the clutch and do rolling burnouts and most of all have a little fun on the damn thing. Some of these guys may be the ones that leave their feet down all the way across the intersection, then put em up on the highway pegs only doing 22mph in 4th gear. Let that fvcker eat, and let it big twins every chance it gets.

*disclaimer, these are opinions not gospel. Listen to your gut and your head, not keyboard commandos and internet outlaws.

Quick Reply: question about my bike