Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about my bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Krieg
He just couldn't help it. He was 25 and liked to go fast.

Thank god he had on his safety boot.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Krieg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^^^^

Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

Not saying to not have fun. One I get my bike back, she'll be opened up just the same. I just gotta be hella careful of my surroundings and traffic being cocky on rush hour brought me down. It'll take a while to get the image of that tire five inches from my face out of my mind while riding in traffic though.

And never get stupid at night on the highway. Deer don't know what season it is around here.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 PM
981200sporty
5th Gear

Originally Posted by baka1969
You seem younger than you are by reading your posts. That said, the BT bikes have more lungs than a Sporty. Off the line or a downshift from about 50 will get most Stage 1 1200 Sportsters to pull ahead of the big bikes. But after they wind up they usually have the lungs the Sportsters don't.

Technically, all else being equal, the 96" and 103" bikes should have a higher top speed than a 1200 Sportster with a Stage 1. The displacement and taller gearing should see to that.

Off the line and 50-70 passing the Sportster should have the edge on a bone stock 96". The 103" with a Stage one in a Dyna would give a Sportster a run for it's money all day.
Well this is why I was asking if anyone thought there was more to my bike then a stage 1. The conversation went into another direction lol. I easily out run the big twins at any speed. I ran a 96 on the highway and we were moving and my speedo hit 120mph and that is when I passed him and kept going. I have no idea how fast I was going because the speedo only hits 120mph but my bike kept pulling and that 96 was fading away in my mirror. I know some might think he let off but when your doing 120+mph when someone lets off its very obvious they did, and I can tell that guy didn't let off the throttle.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 PM
981200sporty
5th Gear

[QUOTE=shiftace;13039239]Don't let these guys scare you man, ride it like you stole it. It's your bike and your conscience. I'll get flamed for it but after reading these posts I'm kinda disappointed. See the name on the side of your bike SPORTster? Not CRAWLster or MOSEYster or LIMPster right? Do wheelies, burnouts, skid up to stop lights, rev at hot chicks, side step the clutch and do rolling burnouts and most of all have a little fun on the damn thing. Some of these guys may be the ones that leave their feet down all the way across the intersection, then put em up on the highway pegs only doing 22mph in 4th gear. Let that fvcker eat, and let it big twins every chance it gets.

lol love this comment. I do ride safe most of the time that isnt a lie. Its just hard for me to back down when someone challenges me especially because its a sportster. Like you said its a sportster, it is made to be faster and more agile then the bigger bikes and its great for it. I have hit some good turns on it and its great in the curves.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
The displacement and taller gearing should see to that.
True, although you could put a 30T transmission pulley on the sportster to lessen the disadvantage.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
True, although you could put a 30T transmission pulley on the sportster to lessen the disadvantage.
You'd gain top speed but slow down acceleration.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 AM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Dude are you sure they are trying to race you? My 88 with Thunder Header headers and Thunder Header slip-ons is pretty loud sounding, I have guys on cruisers and metrics next to me sometimes, thinking or acting like im trying to race them and i'm just on my normal commute. Take it to a local track and time that Sporty, see what she'll do.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 AM
ClodeV
Tourer

In my years of riding I've only had a couple of instances of those who wanted to race. Not my things really except once when i told my buddy that i was right with him when he took off like a bat outta hell. next stop light was clear so we went for it he got me off the line but by 3rd gear i stayed with him till we hit 90 than i let off no need to go faster. proved my piont my bike is no slouch but not something i would probably do again either.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 PM
981200sporty
5th Gear

Originally Posted by freebaggin
Dude are you sure they are trying to race you? My 88 with Thunder Header headers and Thunder Header slip-ons is pretty loud sounding, I have guys on cruisers and metrics next to me sometimes, thinking or acting like im trying to race them and i'm just on my normal commute. Take it to a local track and time that Sporty, see what she'll do.
I am positive they are. I always look to see there hand on the throttle and can tell how they are shifting. Its also obvious when they put there head down. My bike is loud and if you ride a loud bike you know when its full throttle or not. I have been wanting to go to the track just haven't had the time yet. When I do i usually am doing something else lol.

Let me add this.When I bought the bike it already had the stage 1 on it. I took out the baffles in the mufflers but I do have the factory H pipe still so its not just a single pipe for each cylinder. The H pipe does help balance that out not as much as a 2 into 1 but better then nothing. Now after I took the baffles I bought the CV permancae kit for the factory CV carb. They state that tuning the factory carb will make it perform close to or as good as a S&S carb. So I rejetted the carb and holy sh$# it made a huge difference. At that point is when the bike would pull the front wheel off the ground no problem. I have to be very careful if I do a hard launch because it will wheelie with no problem. Even when I am shifting gears as I pop the clutch out every time the front wheel comes off the ground to 3rd gear. I am assuming that having the carb tuned right is making this huge difference but that's why I am asking. All the reviews I read on that CV performance kit said it made a dramatic difference in the performance of the bike.

This is the kit http://www.cv-performance.com/cvp-ha...xe-tuners-kit/