Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 48 - I may be coming back to the Sporster

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sportster 48 - I may be coming back to the Sporster

Having "cut my teeth" on a Sportster 883 years ago, I know the nimbleness and ease of handling. In recent years I've been riding a Softail CrossBones which I love a lot. However, I am either getting weaker with age or losing my confidence with the big bike because I find myself wanting a smaller and lighter machine (I do a lot of back country road traveling on really tight and shall I say less than perfect roads. Regardless, I have to admit an affinity for the looks of theSportster 48 - bare bones and probably about 200 lbs lighter than the Softail. For those of you have one, what are your unbiased impressions? I am getting ready to take the next step and schedule a test ride, but I'd still like to hear pros and cons of the model which I believe has been out for 2 years or so.
Thanks.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 AM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,645 Likes on 1,729 Posts

I like the look too interested in how they ride

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Probably the only real downside is the very small 2.1 gallon fuel tank. Looks cool, but really limits the range

Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Dizzyblonde53
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my 48

I have had a 48 for two years now and cant find a downside...Absolutely the best sportster they have put together thus far. She is one quick, responsive ride. She's a beauty and has a very low center of gravity for a Sporty. Even the small gas tank is do-able. Although it can be a pain when riding with a group of bigger bikes with longer range. You must stop at least every 80 miles or so for fuel. I have gone on 300 mile trips with her and that can generate some major neck pain, especially on the highways doing 80 mph..those trips are probably best made on a larger bike with a wind shield? But for all around town and back roads....finest ride out there!

Last edited by Dizzyblonde53; 07-28-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Small sporty tanks can be be dealt with...

Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizzyblonde53
I have had a 48 for two years now and cant find a downside...Absolutely the best sportster they have put together thus far. She is one quick, responsive ride. She's a beauty and has a very low center of gravity for a Sporty. Even the small gas tank is do-able. Although it can be a pain when riding with a group of bigger bikes with longer range. You must stop at least every 80 miles or so for fuel. I have gone on 300 mile trips with her and that can generate some major neck pain, especially on the highways doing 80 mph..those trips are probably best made on a larger bike with a wind shield? But for all around town and back roads....finest ride out there!
Can't find a downside....but then goes on to name 2 downsides...hahaha. Nice first post.

I know some guys are putting Nightster or Custom tanks on for more range. I think the custom tank ruins the look of the bike, but the 3.3 gallon Nightster tank still maintains the overall look of the bike while achieving slightly higher fuel capacity.

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-28-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

You will get more compliments and comments about your 48 than your any of your other bikes. I like mine so much I want to buy another

Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Fairbanksdmt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley is one of the few motorcycle manufacturers out there that doesn't go to great lengths to make their bikes light. This is something the others companies know because they understand that the riders enjoyment increases dramatically when they are on a lighter, more agile machine. The 48 has killer looks, it's quick and nimble and in my opinion it's the best looking Harley on the market. As OddJack said, you will get more compliments about your 48 than any of your other bikes. It's true, I have a really nice Ducati, and no one says jack$h!% about that bike, but I can't stop for gas on my 48 without some dude showing respect for that bike.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just traded my 2009 Ultra Classic for a Sportster 48 last Friday.
The Ultra was a great bike for it's purpose.
I too am getting older , weaker , not riding all day rides anymore.
I'm pretty small at 5'7" 157 lbs , so I was looking for something fun for my short commute to work and medium long rides on occasion.
The 48 is what I was looking for , it's fast , fun , neat looking , easy to control at stoplights.
I may have to change the handlebars , and add a backrest , but so far it's simply a blast to ride.
Mick

Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I really love my 48. I've had two other sporties, but this is the "one" that does it for me. It feels like it has a lower center of gravity than the others I've had and I find for me, its just easier to handle. I did put a 3.3 tank on it as a lot of my riding is done out in the country and I just recently put HD mini apes on. Its perfect. Its like a little bulldog - wind, rain - it just cruises right through, no problem. Its a lot of fun to ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportster 48 - I may be coming back to the Sporster