Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes are squeaking Iron 883

Old 07-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Ariel Mullokandov
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brakes are squeaking Iron 883

I just purchased an iron 883 2014 and I keep getting a horrible screeching noise from my rear brakes. How can I fix this issue? Please help

Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use the rear as the primary brake, stop it now. Use the front brake more.

Every time I replace my pads with the OEM pads they do that for a while, till they break in. If they do it after break in then press a little harder for a few stops and it will clear right up, it dont hurt to hit them with the air compressor every few weeks, depending on how many miles you ride, that works out to every 1,000 miles or so.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Ariel Mullokandov
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 2700 miles. Maybe I need to replace my brakes? What air compressor?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Ariel Mullokandov
I have about 2700 miles. Maybe I need to replace my brakes? What air compressor?
Oh man. Yes you need to replace your brakes. I know not one person who does not own an air compressor.

May the force be with you, even though I sense none.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's pretty common. With barely 2,000 miles on my '09 Iron I began to have some terrible squeaking and a sound like the rear rotor was on a brake lathe self cutting itself. It was actually embarassing, so I tried blasting the pads out with some compressed air, which helped for only a short amount of time.

With a $hitton of pad left and hesitant to go any further, I fixed the problem by NOT using the rear brake. Eventually the sound disappeared, I figure from the piston finally returning itself all the way into the caliper.

The front brakes on the bike provide you with 70% of its braking ability, which is more than sufficient for slowing/stopping under nornal circumstances. In the event of a panic or sudden stop, it's then that I use the rear brake in addition to the front.

I've learned to live with it, along with other things like the valvertrain noise from it's engine, etc.

=8^)

Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar noise that I thought was something rubbing badly on something else. Eventually after talking to a few guys they suggested it could be the brakes. Also noticed it was after using the brakes on a ride it would get louder (possibly with the heat). According to guys in the chapter and subsequently the mechanics at the dealership it was brake dust building up within the calliper. Apparently 'common' with Sportsters but still disconcerting to myself at least. Take it to the dealership if its still under warranty get them to clear it out. I wasn't charged for it. Some may say I'm wrong but that's what happened. I also use the rear brake a primary as that's what I was taught on my training

Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Oh man. Yes you need to replace your brakes. I know not one person who does not own an air compressor.

May the force be with you, even though I SENSE NONE.
NONSENSE has no shortage whenever you post, you idiot.

Replace brakes at 2700 miles? WTF have you been smoking? This is obviously beyond just drinking yourself into a stupor.

Here's a picture of my stock, original, front disc pads that I took just for you, Dusty, last week, when I mounted my new Metzeler 888. 71,000 miles on those pads.

Learn how to ride your bike, Dusty, instead of telling newbies to replace their brakes before their oil change is due.

What a retard. This post is right up there with his claim that his 883 had the same power to weight ratio as a "geezer glide." Or that " Too bad max allowed legal grade on highways and hilly urban areas is 6%."

And the all time greatest retard post, ""It will take a mile to slow to near 0 from 60 engine braking, and then you will never stop, because torque does not stop a vehicle, it makes it go forward."

If Dusty was half as old as us "geezer glides", as he calls us, he would know that old school bikes had only drum brakes, and, while driving in the rain, engine braking worked far better than wet drum braking.

Attached Thumbnails Brakes are squeaking Iron 883-front-caliper-71k.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-28-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 PM
bigmant
Tourer

Glad someone said it hahaha

Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Mnniterider, you so silly. The OP dont know what an air compressor is. How the hell are they supposed to understand what the cause will be. No amount of explaining anyhting to them will help them. Same syndrome you got.

You dont even know how to use your brakes, let alone answer the OPs question. How about you waste your time explaining to them the merits of no brake braking. Teach the young padawan the ways of the dark side, to use the motor as a brake and the zen of never needing brakes. Fix his problem for him jedi no brake braking master.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

What an idiot that tells me I don't know how to use my brakes? He's the one replacing his more often than a tire change, and now, apparently, more often than an oil change?

Hey, Dusty, seen any hills lately? You know, ones that are actually steeper than 6 % grade? Naw, probably not.

How's that power to weight ratio working out for you on your beginner bike? Still think you have more than us geezer glides? You really ought to check out the specs at HD's website.

Btw, you should really wash that Monkey Butt powder off your A$$. It kind of distracts from your pink chaps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes are squeaking Iron 883