Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust info and advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:50 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust info and advice

I am debating between the VH Short Shots and the Black Out 2 into 1. I really love the Blackout sound and look. The only downside is that I am not big on the wrap look. Really wish they had released shields for them. Also all of the videos I have seen that show black wrap is more of a charcoal. Which may be the bigger reason why I don't like wrap. So I am looking for some opinions and feedback to try and help me make up my mind. I'll list a couple of specific questions below.

1. Does anyone know of an aftermarket shield that will work on the Blackout?
2. Does anyone have personal examples of a true black wrap, pictures or video would be awesome.
3. What is the consensus on size of wrap to use? I am thinking about 1 inch. Pros and Cons of the different sizes in your personal experiences? Any pictures or video's showing the different sizes on the sportster?
4. Generally how long does the wrap last before you have to replace it? Another reason I am not keen on the wrapping.
5. If I do end up going with the wrap I have read that using the silicon spray is good. Do I use that before I put it on or after it settles in? Or any reason not to do it at all?

As always I appreciate the help and feedback. You all have helped me out a lot already. This is really a great community. Looking forward to the day when I am able to contribute back with the knowledge that I will gain in time.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM
crawrj
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rog48
No it doesn't come wrapped but it also doesn't come with a heat shield. So unless you want to deal with the heat you have to wrap it yourself. That is where my questions are coming from.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience with wraps is that after a while (like the black) heat/water lightens the wrap up (the colored dye on the wrap). They all will change
color eventually.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

I will say I have the SS and love them. They aren't near about as loud as you would think, they are very comparable to the 2n2.

For some reason the SS get a bad rap but I am satisfied with them.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
crawrj
Tourer

Thanks for all of the reply's so for. Maybe I should add an additional question.

Does anyone run the Blackout 2 into 1 stock, without wrap or anything else? If so how is the heat output? Compared to stock is it the same, twice as hot, not as hot etc...

Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by crawrj
I am debating between the VH Short Shots and the Black Out 2 into 1. I really love the Blackout sound and look. The only downside is that I am not big on the wrap look. Really wish they had released shields for them. Also all of the videos I have seen that show black wrap is more of a charcoal. Which may be the bigger reason why I don't like wrap. So I am looking for some opinions and feedback to try and help me make up my mind. I'll list a couple of specific questions below.

1. Does anyone know of an aftermarket shield that will work on the Blackout?
2. Does anyone have personal examples of a true black wrap, pictures or video would be awesome.
3. What is the consensus on size of wrap to use? I am thinking about 1 inch. Pros and Cons of the different sizes in your personal experiences? Any pictures or video's showing the different sizes on the sportster?
4. Generally how long does the wrap last before you have to replace it? Another reason I am not keen on the wrapping.
5. If I do end up going with the wrap I have read that using the silicon spray is good. Do I use that before I put it on or after it settles in? Or any reason not to do it at all?

As always I appreciate the help and feedback. You all have helped me out a lot already. This is really a great community. Looking forward to the day when I am able to contribute back with the knowledge that I will gain in time.
Dunno about shields for it.

If you use wrap, the Titanium Wrap does not need to be wet to wrap, it does not need to be sprayed. It also does not fade or fray like other wraps.

2" looks better to my eye, gives a cleaner look.

I have also never seen it in black.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah I got the same as Kevin on my Diesels, 2-3 years now and look exactly the same as new.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 PM
DitosDad
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True black exhaust wrap?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM
crawrj
Tourer

That looks nice. What brand and size is that? How long had they been on in the pics? Still the same color now? Did you spray yours and if so when did you apply the spray? Any other insight that might be helpful in making my decision?

Quick Reply: Exhaust info and advice