Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Mini Apes questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM
McMuffin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sportster Mini Apes questions

I have a 2014 Sportster Forty-Eight that I want to put the Harley-Davidson mini ape handlebars on. My question is exactly how tall are they? I'm pretty sure they are 10" but I just want to make sure. Also, I've been told to get the Burly Brand cable kit for them, but they only have down to 12" cable kits. Will that work for the mini apes or should I buy the cables individually? Thank you.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I have them on my 48. They are 10". Also, if you order them from HD for your 48, they already have worked out what cables, etc. you need. Its in their book. I'd just go order the handlebars from parts and have them tell me what else is needed.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 PM
McMuffin
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by traffic jam
I have them on my 48. They are 10". Also, if you order them from HD for your 48, they already have worked out what cables, etc. you need. Its in their book. I'd just go order the handlebars from parts and have them tell me what else is needed.
Ok, thank you. The only concern I had was the price. How much were the cables total? Also, how do you like them? Is your riding position comfortable? I'm 6' tall so I think they will be a good height.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might be able to get a way with just a new front brake cable. Clutch and throttle should be fine. If you reroute the control wires by the tank and cut a couple zip ties they should also reach. I hear a lot of people complain the burly kits are too long. I've got 10" on my 48 and love them. 12" wouldn't be bad. Check out zombie performance they make some killer bars. I just took my stock brake line down to my local hose shop and they cut out the rubber section and crimped in a new piece about 6 inches longer 35$. That's all it took.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:44 PM
McMuffin
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ployd4
You might be able to get a way with just a new front brake cable. Clutch and throttle should be fine. If you reroute the control wires by the tank and cut a couple zip ties they should also reach. I hear a lot of people complain the burly kits are too long. I've got 10" on my 48 and love them. 12" wouldn't be bad. Check out zombie performance they make some killer bars. I just took my stock brake line down to my local hose shop and they cut out the rubber section and crimped in a new piece about 6 inches longer 35$. That's all it took.
Awesome, thanks man. My local HD shop told me I would need to buy new grips and levers, is that true? Also, I don't want to change where my mirrors are, can I keep em below the bars?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Ployd4
Road Master

You shouldn't have to change grips and levers as long as they are 1" diameter bars.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Unhappy

I had the mini apes on my sportster and can confirm that you only need to change the brake hose and they are 10". They were defo more comfy than stock but the only thing I would say is they are quite wide at the bottom which really bugged me on the looks and I wasn't to keen on the wires showing down the handlebars so I swopped mine for burly 12" narrow apes and internal wired them and they look 10 times better and for that I changed the clutch cable and extended wiring but throttle cables still ok.
Not trying to change your mind but look at some pics of mini apes and narrow apes on a bike and you might see what I mean.
Ive got some front end pics of both bars and the difference is huge but don't know how to post pics on here yet!
oh and as above grips are fine as bars still 1"

Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

When I put them on mine I had to replace the brake line, I bought it from the dealer, I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there, but it was convenient for me.

I did have to straighten out the wiring to get max length out of them, but they did fit.

I really like mini apes, I think they are very comfortable bars.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I forget what the bars and cables cost total, but I think it was just brake cable that needed replacing. You do not need new levers. I did have new grips put on because I think the original ones don't come off easily. The ones I bought are transferable and come off easily if I ever change handlebars. My HD store has a lot of grips to choose from, they have a display and they were cheaper than I thought they'd be.

You can keep the mirrors under the bars. For me they didn't work - all I saw were my elbows so I flipped them and put them on top of the handlebars.

I'm short, 5'2" so I can't tell you how they'll work for you. They are perfect for me - I've even thought of going a little higher - like 12" bars - but that's aways off.

Last edited by traffic jam; 08-21-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 PM
McMuffin
2nd Gear

First off, thank you guys for your responses, I got them on my bike and I seriously couldn't have done it without y'alls help. I bought a new brake line from my local HD dealership, and that was all I needed to buy, like y'all said. It took me and a buddy about one hour to do it all and I love it, it looks bad ***! It is very comfortable too. I kept the mirrors below the handlebars and I like it like that, I can see a little bit of my elbow but it doesn't bother me too much, I might switch them up to see if I like it better the other way though. We thought at one point we were going to have to get a longer clutch cable but the stock one worked out fine. Again thank you guys!

Edit: Also, I kept the original grips and levers. The grips were kind of annoying to get off but not too bad.

Here's the after pic:

Last edited by McMuffin; 08-21-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Sportster Mini Apes questions