Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Speedo Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Sportster334
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Speedo Issues

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. I have a 2000 883 Custom with somewhere in the range of 3600 miles on it. There are issues in the speedo system.

I have done some research into the system and how it operates. When I first got the bike, there were many DTC's listed on the speedo. I pulled the speedo sensor and found the wires were pinched, but it was clean (No metal on it) I replaced the sensor with an HD sensor regardless. Still no change in codes/function. I later found the wires going to the speedo from the sensor pinched at the fork riser cover, so I soldered them back together and taped it up.

Currently, there is only one code that doesn't go away DTC 02, everything else is clear. The speedo "reads" but very inaccurately, sometimes being about 1/5 your speed, other times reading whatever it wants. The self cancelling turn signals somewhat work, but I think don't turn off accurately because of the incorrect speed. So that is my first issue.

The second issue is that the brand new sensor with factory installed new o ring seems to be leaking out my fresh primary fluid! This is unacceptable and it leaks at quite a rate while driving (the sensor is on top of course) I do not understand how this can be leaking, with a new o ring and being a simple "tube". Any ideas on why it is leaking? Only guess I have is the o ring got screwed up on install, or because of a crappy angle/fitting allen key it might not be tight enough, even though with an o-ring in a machined hole that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.

Please let me know what you think, This is ruining my riding experience!

Will

Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Sportster334
6th Gear

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss with these issues...

Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the leak you could try to nremove the plug and Teflon tape the threads. Never heard of that particular problem with the speedo but I would go about disconnecting every connector on the bike, give it a shot of contact cleaner and a little dielectric grease. Works wonders on weird problems

Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Sportster334
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hitechluddite
For the leak you could try to nremove the plug and Teflon tape the threads. Never heard of that particular problem with the speedo but I would go about disconnecting every connector on the bike, give it a shot of contact cleaner and a little dielectric grease. Works wonders on weird problems

Tape the threads of the bolt? The sensor has an o ring around the part that goes into the case.

I'll dig into the connectors once I get a chance. I need to go buy an allen key socket for the sensor so I can take it out again, the way I did it before was kind of bubba

Thanks,
Will

Old 08-25-2014, 12:18 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I would not put Teflon on the sensor the sensor needs to make contact with the case to make a circuit and Teflon may interfere with that...next I would check all your engine ground wires to make sure they are good and tight/ not corroded..you can use a meter to check if the sensor is grounded well to the case and the case is grounded to the frame, while you are there check the grounds coming off of the battery...as you can see I believe you have a grounding issue...also check for grounding for the speedo...also check the ground from the front end to the frame... after that I got nothing...

Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh, yea figure out why the sensor is leaking...prolly the o-ring moved out of its normal spot or tore, and make sure the sensor is tight...

Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Sportster334
6th Gear

Semi-Good news - The leaking was caused by the new o-ring self destructing. I pulled the sensor and the ring was cut in half I suppose from insertion. I stole the o ring from the old sensor and drove it around my yard. So hopefully no leaks.

However still a code and now the speedo doesn't move at all. I still need to use my multimeter to check things out tomorrow. I'll get back to you guys.

Will

Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Sportster334
6th Gear

I did some testing. There is no real continuity between the speedo plug terminals from the speedo. One of the pairs had like blank thousand ohms. I think that is ok. The only wire that had power when the key was on was the white wire. Red and black were not powered. The white had 9.4 volts.

The DTC 02 code clears but immediately comes back when the button is let off.

I cleaned a bunch of connectors and checked all fuses. All is ok.

I think the speedo might be bad. The previous owner had 2 areas of direct shorts in the wiring that might have screwed it up. Is there a way to test the speedo separate of the systems of the bike?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Sportster334
6th Gear

I read some more and found that there should be 12v at the red wire, not white. I did resolder the wires, but don't think I could've messed up that bad. I'll check. If anyone has a diagram with voltages let me know.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Sportster334
6th Gear

Found the problem. The code was correct. I pulled apart the deutsch connector that plugs into the sensor. The red wire just fell out! That is why there was no power and a code indicating "Open". Now I just need to find the inner part to deutsch connectors...

Quick Reply: 2000 Speedo Issues