Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 48 Battery Cover popped off

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 PM
xfinite
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 48 Battery Cover popped off

Hey guys, I've seen some posts in regards to other bikes. Wondering if there is a updated fix besides zip ties. I was lucky as the cover didn't fall completely off. The bottom hook held it. But when I pushed the cover back on it doesn't seem to snap in place. I don't feel confident that it will stay. I'll probably head to the dealer but wanted to check here first to see if there is something easy I can do to fix it,

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem until I did a little bit of wire gardening under the seat. You just have to rearrange and tuck the wires in some. Also, in front of the battery, push the ECM in a little deeper. I haven't had it wiggle free in a couple of months.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Toma48
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took mine into the dealer and they ended up changing the clip.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Mine did the same thing. Since it was new, drove it to the Dealer and the mechanic took a look and showed me where the wire was not allowing it to stay closed. He did some rearranging and its been fine since. They've had this happen quite a bit - some need clips, others its wiring in the way.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to reroute the fuse wire on my 2014. After routing it different, I can completely close (snap) the cover. It is solid now and is not going anywhere.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:21 PM
xfinite
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I took it to the dealer and they replaced the front clip. I think it's just going to happen again though because the wires have rubbed some of the paint off and I believe that's the problem. I didn't have time to stay and have them rearrange the wires. I'll probably take it back soon though. Thank you for the replies!

Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xfinite
Thanks guys, I took it to the dealer and they replaced the front clip. I think it's just going to happen again though because the wires have rubbed some of the paint off and I believe that's the problem. I didn't have time to stay and have them rearrange the wires. I'll probably take it back soon though. Thank you for the replies!

Why not just do it yourself at home? Just play with the wires, reroute what you can for a neater tuck and it should be good. Less time than going to the dealer.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:03 PM
ElBachatero1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

It's happened to me twice already It sucks! The first time I was able to stop by a dealer and buy a cover to replace it. And last week it happened again and now no dealer has them in stock and it's on back order from Harley. Looks like its a big issue

Old 09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
ElBachatero1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if the cover from the 2013 will fit? I cant seem to find a 2014 cover and it's on back order from harley...

Old 09-07-2023, 01:02 PM
wcwinans
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is old but thought I'd share a quick fix I used yesterday after a shower thought.

I used an old waist belt to secure it. I like the way it looks too. I'm a 34 waist and it fit like a glove.

No drill just my hands the belt and a needle nose pliers to aid in threading the belt through the frame and under the seat.

Old waist belt to secure battery cover on Sportster.

Quick Reply: New 48 Battery Cover popped off