Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch and shifting problems. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Clutch and shifting problems. Help!

Hey guys,

Ok, so I've got some issues going on with my new to me 06' Roadster. The bike has 16,000 miles on it.

When the clutch is pulled in, the bike still moves a bit as if the clutch isn't fully pulled in. I believe its causing issues with shifting gears as shifting is often difficult and neutral is nearly impossible to find. With the bike off and in first gear, I'll pull the clutch in and try to move it and it makes the sound of it hitting the gear when I roll it back and forth. When I drained the primary (looks as if it had never been changed), there was a lot of metal shavings on the drain plug.. but again, I doubt the primary has ever been changed.

I just changed out the primary oil with Formula +. I adjusted the clutch pack and clutch cable. I changed out the engine oil with Mobil 1 20/50.

What do I look for next? Am I going to need a whole new clutch assembly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Adrian

Old 09-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the spring disc in the middle of the clutch pack broke, it has brass rivits that break off and they get inbetween the plates. Time for a new clutch and install the aftermarket one with the extra plate, no spring late

Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Sounds like the spring disc in the middle of the clutch pack broke, it has brass rivits that break off and they get inbetween the plates. Time for a new clutch and install the aftermarket one with the extra plate, no spring late
Which aftermarket is best? I saw something about Energy One making good replacement clutches. But what is it that I need exactly?

Is this what I need? http://www.energyoneclutches.com/pro...&cat=13&page=1

Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

When replacing the clutch, am I only just replacing those plates? Also, it seems to be the general consensus that the extra plate kit is the way to go to get rid of the spring plate, right?

Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes that's the correct kit.

I just replaced mine ('06 Low) at about 18,000 miles. The stock clutch appeared to be fine, I consider this preventative maintenance.

If you can find someone that you can borrow the tool from that'll save you some $, that's what I did.

Btw, did you adjust your primary chain?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dwagar
Yes that's the correct kit.

I just replaced mine ('06 Low) at about 18,000 miles. The stock clutch appeared to be fine, I consider this preventative maintenance.

If you can find someone that you can borrow the tool from that'll save you some $, that's what I did.

Btw, did you adjust your primary chain?
Thanks. I'll probably end up buying it.

Oh, and no. I have not adjusted my primary chain. Would that make a difference with the way the clutch is acting though?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

From your symptoms, I'm not convinced yet that you have a Spring Plate issue. When the Spring Plate starts to fail, one of the obvious symptoms is the inability to KEEP the clutch in adjustment. The friction zone at the lever will move around from close to the grip to further away from the grip, and then maybe back.

You might try making the clutch adjustment again, this time turning the adjustment screw back 1/2 turn from the snug point instead of the recommended 1/4 turn. This will move the friction zone at the lever further away from the grip. Also make sure you have the clutch cable adjuster fully slack before adjusting the screw.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
From your symptoms, I'm not convinced yet that you have a Spring Plate issue. When the Spring Plate starts to fail, one of the obvious symptoms is the inability to KEEP the clutch in adjustment. The friction zone at the lever will move around from close to the grip to further away from the grip, and then maybe back.

You might try making the clutch adjustment again, this time turning the adjustment screw back 1/2 turn from the snug point instead of the recommended 1/4 turn. This will move the friction zone at the lever further away from the grip. Also make sure you have the clutch cable adjuster fully slack before adjusting the screw.
Before I adjusted the clutch, that was the exact symptom I was having. The clutch would not stay in the same spot. So at first, I adjusted the cable thinking that may have been the problem but once the bike was warmed up, it would do just what you mentioned. So next I adjusted the clutch pack (I fully let out the cable first) and the clutch seems to have stayed in the same spot. But now, the problem is that when the clutch lever is completely pulled in, the bike is acting as if its not fully engaged and the bike still moves a bit on its own.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Before I adjusted the clutch, that was the exact symptom I was having. The clutch would not stay in the same spot. So at first, I adjusted the cable thinking that may have been the problem but once the bike was warmed up, it would do just what you mentioned. So next I adjusted the clutch pack (I fully let out the cable first) and the clutch seems to have stayed in the same spot. But now, the problem is that when the clutch lever is completely pulled in, the bike is acting as if its not fully engaged and the bike still moves a bit on its own.
Then I'd bet heavy money the Spring Plate is toast.
Hopefully the clutch plates can just be replaced, but when you keep riding it after the early symptoms appear you risk damaging the basket and that gets more $$$.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:17 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, I'm not running it anymore until I pull the clutch out. I just ordered the Energy One kit. Hopefully my manual and clutch will get here before the weekend. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you all updated.

Quick Reply: Clutch and shifting problems. Help!