Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Sporty's...used...anything bad on this year?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Default 05 Sporty's...used...anything bad on this year?

Wife is getting the itch to ride again, after ~20 years (kids getting older now).

I've had an '06 Dyna..and after getting it, learned the hard way..."bad year!" First year of the 6 speed, the horrible inner primary bearing issues (replaced that twice), and the self destructing stator.

Asking about the 05 year for the lil Sporty....anything to avoid? She's listed at 3,000 bucks...has 17k miles on the clock.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No real deal breakers that I can think of. I'd probably pull and clean the fuses and add a fresh coating of dielectric grease just as a precaution but so far the rubber-mount Sporties have been pretty reliable. The clutch does tend to let go between 20,000 and 30,000 miles because of the stock spring plate, but that's not huge problem.

I personally like the '07+ models and their EFI, but lots prefer carburetors and, if I'm honest, the carbs on these bikes are pretty well sorted so there's no real reason to avoid them. The rubber mounted engine is a huge plus if you're doing any sort of distance.

Last edited by Zenmervolt; 09-01-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

Cam Position Sensor tends to fail but easy to replace

Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
No real deal breakers that I can think of. I'd probably pull and clean the fuses and add a fresh coating of dielectric grease just as a precaution but so far the rubber-mount Sporties have been pretty reliable. The clutch does tend to let go between 20,000 and 30,000 miles because of the stock spring plate, but that's not huge problem.

I personally like the '07+ models and their EFI, but lots prefer carburetors and, if I'm honest, the carbs on these bikes are pretty well sorted so there's no real reason to avoid them. The rubber mounted engine is a huge plus if you're doing any sort of distance.
She's used to being on the back of my "Milwaukee Vibrabor" Shovelhead...and loves that! Vibes are good!

Stock Spring Plate...gotcha...hope to pick one up this fall and fix it up over the winter.

Although I much prefer carb (I'm old school)...for her I'd like the ease of use of EFI. She's impatient...won't like the sputter and occasional stall an old carb bikes does when cold. But I figure newer carb's got things going pretty good, and you seem to hint at that.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stereoguy
Cam Position Sensor tends to fail but easy to replace
Started reading this and said to myself "****..cam tensioner issues like the twin cams?" //phew

Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, I'm about to go through the process of replacing my clutch, unfortunately. Only 16,700 miles. What a shame!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 PM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Started reading this and said to myself "****..cam tensioner issues like the twin cams?" //phew
Not that bad, one screw and plug in, bout $50

Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
She's used to being on the back of my "Milwaukee Vibrabor" Shovelhead...and loves that! Vibes are good!

Stock Spring Plate...gotcha...hope to pick one up this fall and fix it up over the winter.

Although I much prefer carb (I'm old school)...for her I'd like the ease of use of EFI. She's impatient...won't like the sputter and occasional stall an old carb bikes does when cold. But I figure newer carb's got things going pretty good, and you seem to hint at that.
I think the rubber mount strikes a good balance on the vibration front. They're still there at idle, but you don't get that buzzy vibration that can cause forearm numbness at speed.

There are lots of aftermarket clutch kits for the Sporty that are reasonably priced and that eliminate the spring plate. This makes the clutch a tiny bit more "grabby" but eliminates a potential failure point.

I'm an EFI guy myself as I understand fuel maps and ECU programming better than I understand tuning multiple circuits on carbs, but in all honesty even my 32-year-old Honda starts immediately with no drama and it has carbs that run notoriously lean. The carb on an '05 Harley shouldn't sputter or stall at all as long as it's clean and properly adjusted.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

It's actually a Crank Position Sensor, not cam position sensor.

No we don't have tensioner problems like BTs, Sportsters are gear driven cams.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dwagar
It's actually a Crank Position Sensor, not cam position sensor.

No we don't have tensioner problems like BTs, Sportsters are gear driven cams.
Thank you, you are correct, I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: 05 Sporty's...used...anything bad on this year?