Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DELPHI troubles, again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

For future reference, WD-40 is a terrible contact cleaner don't use it to clean electrical contacts, get a good contact cleaner such as Deoxit.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
And stop calling your bike a POS if you genuinely want help!
My money, my bike,you know...

It has for now 45 k miles on it since I bought it brand new in march 2012. Always has been maintened by this indy, but the guy is more happy when he doesn't see me, I thing...

This is why I'm kind of pissed for now. While being not sure the nearest H-D dealer would be up the Task. This is Europe here...

Old 10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You're not paying attention old chap. I live across the North Sea and have owned Harleys for 40 years. I've yet to own a POS!

Old 10-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Proteus
Road Master

This is my first H-D. It probably will be my last either. Unless I find a good ol'reliable carbbed 1340 Evo...

Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Proteus
Road Master

Ok Guys,

I checked out any connections to the injectors, there is nothing loose, no wire twisted nor bad looking.

I pulled out my coils, to check them following this method:

The measurement between pin A to C and between pin A to D shows an infinite reading, full open, while I should have 0.3 to 0.7 Ohms.

Measuring between the two HT exits to the four pins shows only a reading between those exits and pin B, reading is 0.9 Ohm.

Coils went south I guess, but my question remains: Why does the front cylinder goes well and the rear cylinder gives nothing at all? Weird stuff going on here...

Old 10-04-2014, 12:19 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Proteus
Ok Guys,

I checked out any connections to the injectors, there is nothing loose, no wire twisted nor bad looking.

I pulled out my coils, to check them following this method:

The measurement between pin A to C and between pin A to D shows an infinite reading, full open, while I should have 0.3 to 0.7 Ohms.

Measuring between the two HT exits to the four pins shows only a reading between those exits and pin B, reading is 0.9 Ohm.

Coils went south I guess, but my question remains: Why does the front cylinder goes well and the rear cylinder gives nothing at all? Weird stuff going on here...
1st make sure you had a good connection on the pins a/c and a/d,,,bad connection would give a reading of open (infinite).. the reading between the HT posts should be open....a check for the HT posts is between the HT-A to the mounting screw (ground) and HT-B and same mounting screw...reading should be high ohms but I don't know what the actual # is....if all your readings are what you say your coil is bad....

Old 10-04-2014, 12:21 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't quite remember all the past posts ....but have you checked for water in the gas.....to check drain gas into a glass jar and look for water at the bottom....you need to get the gas from the bottom of the tanks as that is where the water sits...

Old 10-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Proteus
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrfikser
.if all your readings are what you say your coil is bad....
I also checked the HT wires, the front reads 200 ohms, the rear 600, a slight difference...

I'll order a new coil and two wires, will also have a look at a coil relo, I think the rear HT wire is too exposed to the heat of the engine...

And if this doesn't solve my problem, Ill be there again calling my bike a big POS...

Old 10-05-2014, 06:21 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

also you can reverse the spark wires (both ends.of both wires) and see if that makes a difference i.e., the front cylinder starts missing and the rear doesn't....what I find strange is,,is that the bike should throw codes for running rich at the O2 sensors if it is a bad spark...

Old 10-05-2014, 06:25 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

lets back up a little....first tell me exactly what mods have been done to the bike..such as new exhaust, air cleaner, PCV, etc...

Quick Reply: DELPHI troubles, again!