Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st long ride on the Iron 883 (580 mile)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Good lessons to learn on your first long ride DevilDog85. Next time you'll be more prepared.

I've done a couple of those on my Sporty. One thing though, don't go by the time estimate on Google Maps. That time is basically for non-stop riding. And I usually take note of some of the nearby HD dealers along my route as a just-in-case. Also, a quick detach shield might come in handy. A more enjoyable ride with it.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
A ride like that on a bike with no windscreen. Tough ride for sure.
I ride like that without a windscreen.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:30 AM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for some reason this comp at work does not allow me to click on the quote a post. I typed in the quote sign so I’ll see if that worked.

[QUOTE]Thingfish
Thanks, I’m planning on getting the La Rosa side saddle bag with the fuel container I just need to save some $$$. Note taken on the newspaper. I swear I think aside from riding at night I just can’t forget how cold it was.
http://bobbercycle.com/?product=04-up-harley-davidson-sportster-left-side-solo-saddle-bag-black-leather-single-wide-strap-with-spare-fuel-bottle-holder[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Switchback12
After the ride I am now considering the auxiliary power port by HD this would have saved me tons of time. I just need the side bag first.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ary-power-port[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]NDBadlands4-2
Yup that wind definitely beat me up a bit but I’m sure if I had a wind shield there would have been less body turbulence J.[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]RKZen
I might consider getting a detachable windscreen for the future but personally I just don’t like the look it gives the bike. Hence why I would follow your suggestion and do a detachable for the easy on easy off.[QUOTE]

Last edited by DevilDog85; 09-07-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey you accomplished your ride so be happy! You learned a valuable lesson for next time too so when you wanna do it again it'll go twice as smooth.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude you did it all wrong. Don't you know you need a Street Glide for rides like that!? Haha, just kidding nice work. It's rides like that that become truly memorable.

I found that once I installed a detachable windsheild and discovered just how much more fun my Sportster is to ride at speed it actually started to not look as bad to me. I kind of like the way the Compact detachable windsheild from HD with black hardware looks on an Iron. They are easy to trim down if you want to make it slighly smaller.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:19 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blackhawk48
Hey you accomplished your ride so be happy! You learned a valuable lesson for next time too so when you wanna do it again it'll go twice as smooth.
I sure did. I will definitely plan better next time.

Originally Posted by saddleupmc
Dude you did it all wrong. Don't you know you need a Street Glide for rides like that!? Haha, just kidding nice work. It's rides like that that become truly memorable.

I found that once I installed a detachable windsheild and discovered just how much more fun my Sportster is to ride at speed it actually started to not look as bad to me. I kind of like the way the Compact detachable windsheild from HD with black hardware looks on an Iron. They are easy to trim down if you want to make it slighly smaller.
lol! I’m sure it would have been a bit more relaxing on the Street Glide but I definitely enjoyed it on the sportster even if I got beat up by the wind and cold air. I was planning on getting the compact light fairing but now I’m thinking about just shooting for the detachable shield. I have all winter to decide on what to do for next season.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:31 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are some wind screens that will actually look really good on your bike and make it cut the wind like a sport bike, the Harley sport shield is pretty nice, very functional, looks great and it's only $170 from the dealer. but there are lots of options, I actually like the look of the sport shields on sportsters.

did you have any aches or pains after 10 hours on a sportster? I flat out couldn't do it. not sure it I could even do it on my dyna, I need to try, I've never done more than a 3 hour ride.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
there are some wind screens that will actually look really good on your bike and make it cut the wind like a sport bike, the Harley sport shield is pretty nice, very functional, looks great and it's only $170 from the dealer. but there are lots of options, I actually like the look of the sport shields on sportsters.

did you have any aches or pains after 10 hours on a sportster? I flat out couldn't do it. not sure it I could even do it on my dyna, I need to try, I've never done more than a 3 hour ride.
OH YEAH!!! Plenty of back, groin, neck, butt and hand aches and a bit of cramping here and there. On the refuels and breaks I stretched out and that helped. With the no shield, that wind had my head moving around like a bobbing head doll. I think with the excitement of doing this ride I didn’t care about all that and the a** got numb after a while lol! (don’t take it out of context). Being dark and cold had me concentrating on other things like “I hope a deer doesn’t jump out at me.”
It was all part of the adventure and experience and I don’t regret the ride at all. The only thing I regret is not prepping properly. I say you go for the long ride one day just start early, prep, and plan a bit better than I did. I might do another one next year …. I’m thinking of riding to Niagara Falls, Canada but I have to see if the wife signs of on the permission slip. Lol!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Sporty75
did you have any aches or pains after 10 hours on a sportster?
I did 396 miles today, and had some chafing. No finger tingling, though, which I attribute to using the HD heated gloves (which were not plugged in) over the HD Gore Tex ones.

I flat out couldn't do it. not sure it I could even do it on my dyna, I need to try, I've never done more than a 3 hour ride.
I averaged 900 miles a day over the July long weekend on my Dyna. It definitely has an edge in comfort, provided no sudden turns or stops are required.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Pistolharry
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what we call getting experience.. You'll do better next time..!!!

Quick Reply: 1st long ride on the Iron 883 (580 mile)