Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st long ride on the Iron 883 (580 mile)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st long ride on the Iron 883 (580 mile)

I want to share my 580 mile ride on the stock sportster from Chicago à Iowa à Missouri à Chicago so here it goes.

This was my first long ride out on the road. I Google mapped my route and it said it should take me about 9 hrs. roundtrip, so I decided to do it. I headed out at 10:30 am Tuesday morning to Davenport, IA. Knowing that my bike ranges about 115-125 miles a tank I would stop for gas around the 80-90 mile range just in case. I got to Davenport, IA and stopped at the Wieblers HD to buy some oil since I noticed that it was low on my last fuel stop. After stretching out a bit and getting something to eat I headed back out on the road and headed to Alexandria, MO. I arrived to Alexandria, MO put some gas and charged my phone for the millionth time and headed back home to Chicago.

Over all I had a great ride during the day, nice scenery at times most of it was corn fields. I made some rookie mistakes though. For starters being confident that I was going to be home at a good time I didn’t pack cold weather gear. I froze my a** off from Missouri back to Chicago. Second and 3rd I didn’t pay attention to time so by the time I headed home from MO it was about 8 pm and I rode at night and ended up getting home at 3am Wednesday (Yes, I know I should of just stayed at a hotel and yes I’m an idiot for riding at night). 4th I need to take an actual GPS instead of relying on my phone I lost a lot of time stopping to charge it. I knew I needed to take some warmer gear but my slow self said “Nah, I’ll be OK” I’ll trust my gut instance next time. I learned a lot this day and maybe on my next ride I’ll prep A LOT better. Well I just wanted to share…so let the zinging begin.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Man, You did it! Good for you, you're right though. Riding at night adds a whole different dimension to the equation.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca1750's

Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty easy lessons learned man, good job. You'll be more comfortable and it'll go smoother next time. I'd love to be able to take a trip like that. Glad the sporty handled it well.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:30 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Str8chuter
Hey Man, You did it! Good for you, you're right though. Riding at night adds a whole different dimension to the equation.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca1750's
I love riding at night, dangerous as it may be.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a night shifter, and I ride at night all the time. I hate how bad the stock 883 headlight is and it is getting replaced, I just avoid the dark interstate, I'll stay in the city or or main highways with lights.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:00 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely learned a good lesson, and the Iron did not give me any troubles. To be honest I didn’t mind the stock seat but I’m sure if I had a better one it would have been even more comfortable. Riding at night was scary a** all hell specially when the roads are pitch black and you’re the only one on the road. Biggest fear where running into a deep pot hole, a deer or any other animal popping out. I am going to say that if it wasn’t that I had just added the Custom Dynamic LED fronts and rears I would have probably **** my pants. The front LED amber/whites helped out being seen and I think they help lit up the road just a bit more IMO.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Sounds like a fun ride. 3am? Freezing? Yup, know what you mean. Layers are your friend. In a pinch you can stuff some newspapers in your jacket to add some more insulation.

As for GPS/phone...you can just write down the major exchanges and landmarks on a sheet of paper. Easy to pull over and check it or fix it on your wrist or tank. No need for a glowing screen, especially at night. Just more visual noise. Might want a spare fuel container if you're going to be tooling around corn country at night off the freeway.

The unexpected adventure is part of the fun. Good job!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

You can hook a phone charger up to your battery tender cable. I have a solo swing arm bag, I can plug my phone up and put it in the back to charge while riding.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hitman1267
I love riding at night, dangerous as it may be.
Unfortunately, I do it regularly.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:13 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

A ride like that on a bike with no windscreen. Tough ride for sure.

Quick Reply: 1st long ride on the Iron 883 (580 mile)