Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a Compu Fire HDE-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 PM
celt_rock
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Compu Fire HDE-1

A week ago my bike started dying after 10 minutes of riding. Figured the module was dying after it heated up. The stock part is back ordered all across the country and so I ordered a Compu Fire HDE-1 aftermarket replacement as I was hoping to be able to go on the Gypsy Run in NY this weekend. Got the part and started installing it tonight. I just can't seem to figure out the wiring.

For the first thing, I assumed that since this is marketed to Harley people that the wiring would be similar... at least use similar colored wires. My bike is a 98 XLH1200 and I'm assuming that the red wire (pink) goes to the positive side of the coil, the green goes to the VOES and the white wire goes to the negative side of the coil. Problem is the wires from the compu fire are red, green and black. Thinking they were the same I spliced the wires together (using the Deutch connection wires) for black, red and green before realizing that the black goes somewhere else.

The bike turned over a couple of times but wouldn't start. The green light came on the Compu Fire when the on/off switch was in the on position so I looked, realized that the black didn't go to the negative side but that the WHITE wire did so I switched it around, tried to start it up again and nothing.

I'm hoping I didn't wreck the ignition module by having the black wire on the compu fire go to the black wire on my Sportster instead of the white (where does the black wire go on a 98 sportster?). Otherwise I'm out $200. I'm already a bit miffed that the stock ignition module became faulty and heat sensitive. If this were my car there would have been a recall on it. The only reason it's only coming up now is because the bike only has 2,600 miles on it (it sat garaged at my father's house for many years without riding).

My main question is: how do folks tend to hook up their compu fire ignition systems? I can't believe the wire colors and connectors don't match. I've heard of lots of people who've cobbled together the parts but very little description of how they've done it. Anyone have a clever hookup or pictures of their setup?

Cheers!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:06 AM
lstubbendeck
Stage III

Was wondering if you ever resolved this problem? I'm having the same issue right now and was wondering how you got yours wired up.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 AM
KCCO-Forty Eight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't hold your breathe waiting on his reply. Only 3 posts and neither one of you can PM with a low post count, hasn't been logged in for a few months either...

Last Activity: 04-14-2016 02:57 PM

Hope you get it figured out though!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:21 PM
K9COP507
Stage IV

Getting ready to install the same on 98 hugger 883. Anyone find out any more on this?