Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

I've put money into my Sportsters to make them comfortable highway travelers. Shocks, springs, pegs, grips, mirrors, Stage 1....

I've ridden the Street Glide a couple of times. While on a smooth road it rides better than my Sporty. However, the SG has short suspension travel and over medium sized bumps the ride gets harsh. So, in that vain, I'd have to dump even more money into that touring bike to make it comfortable for traveling.

Sportsters can be competent tourers with the right setup.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 AM
ElBachatero1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice man!! I'm going to try changing the settings on my current shocks and see if that helps. Don't get me wrong.. I love my 48 lol and other than the side battery cover falling off, and the harsh riding on bumps on the highway I have no complaints! But that Softail slim is something else lol.. Has that old school bobber look that made me fall in love with the 48 in the first place and that bigger tank definitely would come in handy. That's another mod I was thinking about doing to my 48 because just my ride to work is 50 miles each way. When I take the bike to work I have to fill up twice -__- But for $$$ reasons I'm going to try and modify what I have now to see if I can make it more comfortable. If not by next riding season I'll be riding on an all black Softail slim lol..

Originally Posted by wachuko
Forgot the second part... Softail Slim... sweet, sweet bike...

The changes I mentioned will fix the issues you currently have with the 48... but nothing will fix if you have a thing for the Softail Slim... I went to the dealer about a week ago and sat on one about 6-7 times... I walked away from the bike (I was waiting for some paper work for the RK I just got) and kept coming back to the bike to sit in it and get a feel for it. Pretty bike, it is a softail so you get a 5 gal tank (more range), easier to ride due to the center of gravity in comparison with the Sportster, looks old school....

Another bike that looks more like a Sportster is the Street Bob... but I like the Softail Slim more...

Anyway... it was a miracle that I simply walked away... I love my 48, but man I was tempted with that Slim...

Street Bob - in my eyes, this is the one that looks more like a Sportsters than any of the bigger HD bikes... so if you are looking for that style, you get better range, better balanced bike, great comfort with the stock bars... you could possibly get away without making any changes. But we all know that we can't leave them stock.... This one has slim front wheel and foot pegs. More black parts in the engine, which I think looks better... less expensive than the Slim...

Softail Slim - cleaner look in my opinion since you do not have the side rear shocks visible. And you still get that old school look. Same as the Street Bob, better riding range, more comfortable to ride (more so than the Street Bob). This one has a fat front wheel and floorboards. Engine/tranny not completely blacked out like in the Street Bob...

You should have given it a bit more thought... if you try to go back to trade for the bigger bike you will take one heck of a financial hit...

Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Bagged64
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you think a sporty rides like crap, take a ride on a softail. I will never own a softail again. Crappy design in my opinion. Adjust your shocks or swap them out for better ones and you will be happier than on a softail in my opinion.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 AM
saddleupmc
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Upgrade the suspension you will end up with a bike that is far more fun than a big twin will ever be. Don't get sucked in by the marketing BS, only in the world of HD is a 560lb motorcycle not suitable for the highway. The only thing a Dyna has over the Sportster is better suspension, easy to fix. A Slim weighs an extra 140lbs and rides worse. I'm 5'7" with long legs and hate the way I have to spread my legs when at a standstill because of the primary cover.

If the BTs ever get redesigned with an engine not using 1940s technology and incorporate unit construction they might be on to something. Oh wait a minute, it's called a V-Rod. That would be an upgrade.

Last edited by saddleupmc; 09-13-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:48 AM
ElBachatero1
Novice

Originally Posted by Bagged64
If you think a sporty rides like crap, take a ride on a softail. I will never own a softail again. Crappy design in my opinion. Adjust your shocks or swap them out for better ones and you will be happier than on a softail in my opinion.
I've never ridden a Softail, I just automatically thought it would be a better ride because of the size and its more of a cruiser than the sporty. I'm definitely going to try modding my sporty before making such a big decision and switching bikes so fast. I just got my 48 in May

Old 09-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

You have 11" budget shocks with very little travel, Progressive brand 12.5" shocks will make a big difference and due to the angle they will only raise the rear end half that extra 1.5". A set of 412's aren't expensive, I went for the 430's mostly for the looks and they are a little upgrade over 412s. If you have the stock seat still, well they are for ornamental purposes only. You could also put a 3.3 peanut tank on. So seat, shocks, tank could be $1300, not cheap. I love the 48 look, but would not buy a bike with just 2.1 tank, surprised so many folks have and at 6' it puts me a real clam shell position.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:02 AM
ElBachatero1
Novice

I didn't know they made 3.3 gallon peanut tanks! lol I'm going to look at that. I love the look of my bike. Yeah I started looking at progressive shocks on eBay and they're not expensive at all. A lot cheaper than when I tried changing the suspension on my CBR and those Ohlin's were a couple grand lol

Originally Posted by Switchback12
You have 11" budget shocks with very little travel, Progressive brand 12.5" shocks will make a big difference and due to the angle they will only raise the rear end half that extra 1.5". A set of 412's aren't expensive, I went for the 430's mostly for the looks and they are a little upgrade over 412s. If you have the stock seat still, well they are for ornamental purposes only. You could also put a 3.3 peanut tank on. So seat, shocks, tank could be $1300, not cheap. I love the 48 look, but would not buy a bike with just 2.1 tank, surprised so many folks have and at 6' it puts me a real clam shell position.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Switchback12
... A set of 412's aren't expensive, ...
Originally Posted by ElBachatero1
... Yeah I started looking at progressive shocks on eBay and they're not expensive at all...
If raised height is a big bother to you, the cruise version of the 412 shocks are 11.5 inches tall but they have the spring running almost from eye to eye and Progressive claims they function just like the 12.5-incher. Right now on Amazon, Progressive is selling the chrome version for $230 + shipping:
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

The current 883 iron has the 3.3 tank as well as the recently discontinued Nightster and older models. Harley sells a mounting kit to swap tanks and tanks of course, but a used tank would be worth the search $ wise.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:35 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

You can't go wrong, upgrading from a sportster.

Quick Reply: Highway Riding